• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Do we know if he hit him with the first shot?

I assumed he fired and missed and kept moving forward, motioning others to get behind him.

The deranged guy is probably confused and possibly retreating some.

I figured Eli then went to the right of the bathroom hallway entrance, stepped out of cover, and mag dumped him.

But who knows until they tell us the chain of events.
    I don't remember where, but I saw/heard/read it reported that he hit the attacker with his first shot. Might not be true; you know how early reporting goes...

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Why are we talking about this in the first place?

Um, because you chose to make it a discussion point -- that not having a driver's license is reason for suspicion?

¯\_( ツ)_/¯

No driver's license for 20 year old should draw some questions?

A quick check of Indiana census data shows just under 6.8 million (legal) residents. Subtracting out all residents under 16 (i.e., those who are not yet able to obtain a driver's license) and those over 85 (generously assuming they all no longer can obtain one for health/physical reasons) we're left with just under 5.3 million residents. Statista reports a total of just over 4.5 million licensed drivers in the state, leaving us with an approximate 726,000 residents of driving age who do not have a DL.

Who is going to monitor them? Our vast and virtuous, idle and unsullied FBI community?

So to answer the question, "we're talking about this" because you continue to defend a senseless hill to die on. There is no common factor or combination of factors such as you suggest that can clearly predict a course of action that these mass shooters take. The same forces that cause some to mentally break, let's say, are the same forces that cause others to become stronger, more resilient, more resistant to the same forces.

"Minority Report" might be an instructional documentary for, say, China, but this ain't China.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I agree that there are sometimes warning signs that should should make people think something might be up or someone might need help. A lack of a DL or job at 20 doesn't strike me as warning signs of a budding mass shooter. The knowledge of him having a broken home life is definitely a red flag that there are possible issues, but again, who is supposed to monitor that?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Imagine if this had occurred in Hochul's New York after the laws she just signed making it illegal to carry nearly anywhere even with a concealed carry permit. She and her crony AG would have Eli in Rikers Island without bail, charging him with 1st Degree Murder. The NYC bodega owner's life is completely upside down for defending himself from imminent death by using a knife.

John

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yet if we always marginalize, there will never be another psychotic caught before they kill. Certainly a lot of mentally unhealthy people don't kill. So we ignore them all?

If we bury our heads in the sand to known warning signs of mental trouble, yet don't act to mitigate the danger to self and others, at what point in time does that change to enabling and abetting?
    I believe the bright line you're looking for is due process, and its direct implication of innocent until proven guilty.

I'm not sure where/how babies and razor blades entered the discussion, but the analogy doesn't hold. The default state for an infant is "incapable of understanding the danger posed by a razor blade" and "has no agency and is therefore fully the responsibility of its parents". That default state doesn't apply to the typical 20-year-old, nor does it even apply to the typical person with some form of psychosis.

Maybe we need to figure out if more people are developing mental issues that drive them down the path of being dangerous to self and others. And if we find that to be true, perhaps we should focus our effort on understanding why that is happening, and figure out ways to prevent it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The extreme majority of people with mental illness don't do this.

It's a bit like blaming the gun. How do you select out the extreme minority who end up doing this?

How do you force treatment on a population who often doesn't seek care, and when it's mandated often won't continue taking medications once they are released?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The extreme majority of people with mental illness don't do this.

It's a bit like blaming the gun. How do you select out the extreme minority who end up doing this?

How do you force treatment on a population who often doesn't seek care, and when it's mandated often won't continue taking medications once they are released?
    The bigger problem is how are we defining "mental illness"? Is moderate depression a mental illness? ADD? ADHD? Seeing a therapist because this ****ed up **** we have been dealing wih for he last two and a half years has beaten you down?

That's the rub isn't it? What are we calling a "mental illness?"

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    This young man was taught well by no amateur. The bits keep stacking in his favor by his own actions. Critical thinking under duress is easy to fubar. Well played Eli.

1. Prepared
    2. Aware
    3. Responsive
    4. Direct
    5. Resourceful

He'll do well in life.
    As we all know this is great to have as a responsible gun owner. My question is at what point will the left use training and practice as a means to say you had premeditation in your defensive gun use?

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I believe the bright line you're looking for is due process, and its direct implication of innocent until proven guilty.

I'm not sure where/how babies and razor blades entered the discussion, but the analogy doesn't hold. The default state for an infant is "incapable of understanding the danger posed by a razor blade" and "has no agency and is therefore fully the responsibility of its parents". That default state doesn't apply to the typical 20-year-old, nor does it even apply to the typical person with some form of psychosis.

Maybe we need to figure out if more people are developing mental issues that drive them down the path of being dangerous to self and others. And if we find that to be true, perhaps we should focus our effort on understanding why that is happening, and figure out ways to prevent it.
    I have worked for pharmaceuticals in the past and am somewhat anti drug. 25 years ago everyone’s kid at school seemed to be on Ritalin. Now look at that age group as adults. School indoctrination and anti adhd drugs gave us a generation of misfits.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The bigger problem is how are we defining "mental illness"? Is moderate depression a mental illness? ADD? ADHD? Seeing a therapist because this ****ed up **** we have been dealing wih for he last two and a half years has beaten you down?

That's the rub isn't it? What are we calling a "mental illness?"
    Exactly.

Top Bottom