• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wow, if the truth is making it into USA Today, then the lefts narrative is lost to them on this one...

Attorney: No-gun policy won't create legal issue for armed bystander​

If a customer does not adhere to the policy, a business owner can demand that the customer leaves. And if the customer ignores that demand, the customer is now trespassing, which is an Indiana crime.

But if no one asked Dicken to leave, then he wasn't trespassing.

"So the fact that (Greenwood Park Mall) had a no-gun policy creates no legal issue whatsoever for this gentleman," Relford said, "and it certainly has no effect whatsoever on his ability to use force to defend himself or to defend the other people in the mall."

Jody Madeira, an Indiana University law professor, echoed Relford's sentiment, agreeing that Dicken may have violated Simon Mall’s policy prohibiting firearms at the mall, but “he wasn’t committing a crime unless they asked him to leave and he refused.”

“It’s disrespectful,” she said of violating the mall’s policy, “but it’s not unlawful.”

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This young man was taught well by no amateur. The bits keep stacking in his favor by his own actions. Critical thinking under duress is easy to fubar. Well played Eli.

1. Prepared
    2. Aware
    3. Responsive
    4. Direct
    5. Resourceful

He'll do well in life.
    My thoughts as well. Seems that young man has his life in a much better place than the kid who thought murdering people was the proper response to what he didn’t like about his own life.

I looked at that photo of the shooter, and can’t help but think that guy is some father’s son. I think of what father wouldn’t have his heart ripped out of his chest if that was his son that did that, and I wonder if that’s the kind of person that shooter's father was.

Dad’s, love your sons, and teach them to be the kind of men Eli appears to be. I mean, we all seem to be having a big herogasm over Eli. Maybe we assume too much can be extrapolated about his character in all aspects of his life, just from that one moment. Maybe he’s one-dimensionally a hero. But damn, it counted then. His dad or granddad did something right to raise up a young man to have the courage and composure to act when circumstances demanded.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I don't think he ever went to the hospital because he was laying in the bathroom hallway dead with a "dead" sign next to his ass for a while.
    One shot was in the neck, and possibly 2 center chest and maybe 1 in the right arm.
    Exactly what this POS deserved.
    Maybe the hospital is where they're going to do the autopsy though.
    Good to see you back in this part of the Internet TT.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If the shooter was indeed hit by Eli's first shot at 40-50 yards and it took him off his feet...

And Eli did close on him and continue firing nine more times, hitting him six times, even if all six hits came from 40-50 inches away...

Sounds to me like he shot to stop the threat.

An active shooter with a rifle who just murdered three innocents and is still moving sounds objectively like a pretty damn big threat.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    It really doesn't matter if the "no guns" signs had force of law, would any judge let a charge stand against the Indiana constitution , or would any jury convict this guy after saving so many people?
    what is does show is in states that do have force of law with the signs, the property owners had better have a better security plan than just saying no guns...

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Here's video of the presser from yesterday, queued up to the timeline of events...

One thing I can think of that could be done, is an AI monitor tracking people going in and out of enclosed spaces in places like this. Person in the bathroom over 1/2 hour (or some threshold,) send someone to investigate.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

This seems to suggest that he made all 10 shots supported from a pillar.

The police chief also said that he moved in to subdue (paraphrasing), which (to me) implies that he still had rounds. Why else would anyone move closer to a still-living threat, without using (or having) ammunition?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It’s disrespectful. And apparently the management didn’t have a problem with it given that they actually praised the young man for saving lives.
    I don't find it nearly as disrespectful as a demand to make yourself unwillingly into a disarmed victim.

Further, lawful exercise of a constitutionally protected, natural right is never "disrespectful." What is disrespectful is demanding that others not exercise such rights.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do you have a link? I'd love to see that testimony. So glad they feel that way.
    This young man is a hero. It takes a lot of guts and skill to engage a shooter with a much more powerful weapon, and more rounds than you have, and still make accurate hits. And he also took the fight to the shooter after engaging, closing the distance. HERO!!!
    I'm with JSX, I'll gladly chip in for his site supporter fees and also on the drink tab and new gun tab

Trigger Time
    What's up?
    Haven't seen you in awhile

:wavey:

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Without precise details yet being released, here's how I've pieced it together in my mind: he dropped/winged him with the first shot, then moved in closer to subdue him. Thus, shots after the first were at a closer distance, against a stationary target.
    Do we know if he hit him with the first shot?

I assumed he fired and missed and kept moving forward, motioning others to get behind him.

The deranged guy is probably confused and possibly retreating some.

I figured Eli then went to the right of the bathroom hallway entrance, stepped out of cover, and mag dumped him.

But who knows until they tell us the chain of events.

Top Bottom