• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My only disagreement is that the term "well regulated" has changed in meaning over the last 200+ years.

At the time the 2nd Amendment was created, "well regulated" meant "...the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. "

This info from:

Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What a pity that in all their supposed legal interpretations of the Constitution, the judges of our court system--up to and including the Supreme Court--fail to look at the actual grammatical meanings within the very Constitution they purport to respect and enforce. If the SCOTUS had bothered to look into such expert analysis of the language used in the our 2A, I would think many, many cases that set precedent (incorrectly limiting 2A rights in particular) would have been decided much differently.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What a pity that in all their supposed legal interpretations of the Constitution, the judges of our court system--up to and including the Supreme Court--fail to look at the actual grammatical meanings within the very Constitution they purport to respect and enforce. If the SCOTUS had bothered to look into such expert analysis of the language used in the our 2A, I would think many, many cases that set precedent (incorrectly limiting 2A rights in particular) would have been decided much differently.

That's because it's not so much what it was intended to say, to mean...it's about what you can make it mean.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That's because it's not so much what it was intended to say, to mean...it's about what you can make it mean.

I would definitely expect that to be true of career politicians... I guess I've been more idealistic than realistic in my expectations of judges though. I unrealistically thought...maybe hoped...that judges would want to do what is right, not whatever they can to justify their own agenda. Sadly, the more I learn about our legal system and its history, the more i realize that I had it pretty much backwards.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would definitely expect that to be true of career politicians... I guess I've been more idealistic than realistic in my expectations of judges though. I unrealistically thought...maybe hoped...that judges would want to do what is right, not whatever they can to justify their own agenda. Sadly, the more I learn about our legal system and its history, the more i realize that I had it pretty much backwards.

The problem is, both sides of the political spectrum refuse to nominate, or are unable to get confirmed, judges that rule using originalism and original intent as their only guide.
    Reaching a conclusion any other way will inject a political agenda into the ruling.

A perfect Supreme Court Justice for me would be somebody who looking back over their record, there's no indication of what their personal political leanings were.
    They simply called it straight.

Yet the closest to this I ever saw in my lifetime was nominee for the supreme Court Robert Bork.
    And they shot him down because he was an originalist who ruled with reliance on original intent as his guide.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Yeah, this isn't a new phenomena. There have been new tools created and discovered as the years roll by. We now have unlimited interpretation of the commerce clause, incorporation, fundamental rights, the power to force people into action to be a law abiding citizen, etc. yet the difference between congress shall enact no law means separation of church and state and shall not be infringed does not include CCW/LTCH laws nor automatic weapons. When the citizens demand constitutional-tom-foolery to occur, we ought not be surprised when we have tom-fools to oblige them.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Given the above comments and explanations...and my (un?)healthy mistrust of our legal system in general... I just have to think that it has become a broken system. And I honestly have not a single clue as to what could be done, or by whom, or even how. Any realistic ideas anyone???

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Great read! I especially liked this part:

"A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed.'

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't remember exactly when I first gave serious thought to the meaning of the Second Amendment; probably back in my college days and in conjunction with some high-profile (aren't they all?) gun control debate. But I know I have always interpreted "well-regulated" to mean in proper working order. My interpretation of the word "Militia" at that time is not so easily recalled. Back then I probably interpreted the word to represent a citizen army, a narrow interpretation indeed. Back then the "Militia" was everyone. And it still is.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My only disagreement is that the term "well regulated" has changed in meaning over the last 200+ years.

At the time the 2nd Amendment was created, "well regulated" meant "...the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. "

This info from:

Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"

Even IF Well Regulated meant Government control they still take it out of context. It was the MILITIA that was to be Well Regulated, not the People, not the Arms.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There are a lot of new members and since iI had pulled it up for my own ammunition locker I bumped it for those that may not have read it yet.

Top Bottom