Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The problem with letting schools "beg for money" is that the DoE has dictated that all children should have access to schools, period. Public schools are required to accept anyone and anything in their district, even when they are dangerous, violent children that have no regard for anyone or anything but their wants. When you require that to happen, you also have to provide a place for them to go.

It's a vicious cycle and for the teachers of those children (one of which I've been married to for 22 years and had to watch her come home with bruises, cuts, scrapes, black eyes and bruised tailbones) it is hard. At least some still do it because they like to help. Oh, wait, this is INGO. ATAB.
    Whoa, you kinda went all over the place there.

And. nothing wrong with this being INGO.

But, when we say “if I had my druthers,” we get to have it all the way. It’s like saying if the world worked like I think it should…

So for mine, the department of education is gone. I fired them all and made them work for the circus with all the other clowns.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    100+ year old house is likely the exception, not the rule.

My 20ish or so year old house is appraising at 62% of purchase price (purchased a few years ago) and the one we just sold (approx same age) is about 75%...
    Not really around me, perhaps with the current market. I've seen homes assessed for over market value that were 15-20 yrs old. One of my neighbours has a modular, he appealed his tax bill a few years ago. He could of had the same one installed new for about what they were assessing it for. Within iirc 5-10k for a 15 yr old home.

Know someone with a house like mine, well not like but similar age, etc. They appealed, had to get an appraisal. They did lower the assessed value but still well above appraised. Covered the cost of the appraisal and a little bit more. Next year right back up.

Around me it's common to have assessed value be a good bit higher than market. At least until recently.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Not really around me, perhaps with the current market. I've seen homes assessed for over market value that were 15-20 yrs old. One of my neighbours has a modular, he appealed his tax bill a few years ago. He could of had the same one installed new for about what they were assessing it for. Within iirc 5-10k for a 15 yr old home.

Know someone with a house like mine, well not like but similar age, etc. They appealed, had to get an appraisal. They did lower the assessed value but still well above appraised. Covered the cost of the appraisal and a little bit more. Next year right back up.

Around me it's common to have assessed value be a good bit higher than market. At least until recently.
    Seeing the opposite around Central Indiana.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Having been on a church board, I can say the funds we brought in from donations that didn't pay church expenses, (property upkeep, utilities, etcetera) go into a general fund. The property wasn't lavish. Not ornate or ostentatious. No one was gaining wealth through the church. From the general fund we had budgets for things like mission projects, community outreach, scouting, the K-8 church school, a food bank we operated, etcetera. That's what non-profits should do.

I don't think their income should be taxed. Whatever they clear in expenses they use to help people in need. But their property? They consume government just like anyone else. I think they should pay property taxes as long as every other property owner has to.
    This isn't the small corner church. This is big business. Look them up maybe.

They make money, lots of money and it shows up as profit after all their expenses.

But I am getting off the main topic. They pay property taxes on the properties they rent out. That's good as they make more money on the rentals. But they also have a lot of property that has been donated or purchased and they pay zero on it.

That is what I was trying to get to in my round about way. This is a college who happens to be religion based. If I have to pay property taxes on everything I own then they should as well. Again using them as an example not trying to vilify them.

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    FTFY. Taxation is theft. Property tax is theft enforced by the threat of taking what you've already paid for. Which is the very definition of theft. And they'll move you off that property at the point of a gun. Which makes the theft robbery.

It needs to stop. Waste in government needs to be throttled until it squeals for mercy. They are way too free in spending our hard earned dollars.

You are forgetting about the social contract, the one agreement you never agreed to. Where the Government can change the terms whenever it likes and imprison you and take your property for not obeying.

It's the fabric of civilization don't you know.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My bad, that is what I meant. I'd be shocked if I got within 10k of my assessment. And that is with the way the market is now. First year after buying the house, it was assessed at iirc 30-40k over purchase price. And more than that for the appraised value. Hell I had a house fire and according to the assessor the value went up. Before any work was done. The fire is the only reason that I could get anywhere near the assessed value.
    So I looked up 10 random properties sold in central Indiana in the past 6 months that were online. I then pulled up their assessment on the county site. Five areas, one older home preferably near a 100 years and one from 1990-2000.

Sale price-assessed value.
    Indy.
    312-293
    321-238
    Greenwood
    324-293
    319-169
    Greenfield
    308-202
    325-282
    Noblesville
    307-297
    325-314
    Brownsburg
    325-272
    315-212

Out of the ten not a single one assessed over the sale price. Obviously a small sample but with properties in five counties surely one of them would be assessed over. The odd thing is this runs counter to the point because the outliers were assessed way less, not more.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So I looked up 10 random properties sold in central Indiana in the past 6 months that were online. I then pulled up their assessment on the county site. Five areas, one older home preferably near a 100 years and one from 1990-2000.

Indy.
    312-293
    321-238
    Greenwood
    324-293
    319-169
    Greenfield
    308-202
    325-282
    Noblesville
    307-297
    325-314
    Brownsburg
    325-272
    315-212

Out of the ten not a single one assessed over the sale price. Obviously a small sample but with properties in five counties surely one of them would be assessed over. The odd thing is this runs counter to the point because the outliers were assessed way less, not more.
    You've got too much time on your hands, Mike!

I'm about to stop clicking on this thread...

But, I just received a notice in yesterday's mail, my assessed value is going up $14,000, but our tax rate went down.

I'd better hurry and call the assessor and fight it. Wait. It's still assessed at $150k less than I paid two years ago...

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    You've got too much time on your hands, Mike!

I'm about to stop clicking on this thread...

But, I just received a notice in yesterday's mail, my assessed value is going up $14,000, but our tax rate went down.

I'd better hurry and call the assessor and fight it. Wait. It's still assessed at $150k less than I paid two years ago...
    You guy's can't see past your nose! Look out side the corn feild you live in. The northern counties and southern counties have assessed values at or above current market value. It is all the same state.

I know you will say gonto meeting and vote better, beat the dead horse a few more times.

Since it isnt you, you dont care. And people that live in these areas are somehow sutpid and should move right? There is a few smug people here that think since they aren't getting screwed hard, that everyone else is unjustly crying or living in an delusion.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You guy's can't see past your nose! Look out side the corn feild you live in. The northern counties and southern counties have assessed values at or above current market value. It is all the same state.

I know you will say gonto meeting and vote better, beat the dead horse a few more times.

Since it isnt you, you dont care. And people that live in these areas are somehow sutpid and should move right? There is a few smug people here that think since they aren't getting screwed hard, that everyone else is unjustly crying or living in a delusion.
    So what is going on in your area to create this that central Indiana doe not have?

67 Sheila, sold for 275 assessed 250.

386 Ridge Run, sold for 439 assessed 401.

463 E 200, sold for 420 assessed 371.

I just pulled three random sold properties from Porter county on zillow and looked up their assessments. Not saying they don’t happen, I know they do but just not as prolific as is stated here.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    So what is going on in your area to create this that central Indiana doe not have?

67 Sheila, sold for 275 assessed 250.

386 Ridge Run, sold for 439 assessed 401.

463 E 200, sold for 420 assessed 371.

I just pulled three random sold properties from Porter county on zillow and looked up their assessments. Not saying they don’t happen, I know they do but just not as prolific as is stated here.
    Hearing alot of people in Central indiana say their taxes of skyrocketed. They've been calling into Kendall and case past few weeks. So are they wrong? Coworkers shot up like crazy . He called assesor. Assessor told him neighboring farm sold for so much and its just same size as his so therefor thats his new rate and the state allows them to assess it that way. Bad thing is his farm isn't even used as farm ground now. He's bee. Letting it go back to nature.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Since it isnt you, you dont care. And people that live in these areas are somehow sutpid and should move right? There is a few smug people here that think since they aren't getting screwed hard, that everyone else is unjustly crying or living in an delusion.
    Valpo, https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1657-Patoka-Ct_Valparaiso_IN_46385_M31134-41662
    sold 339k, assessed 293k
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/678-N-50-W_Valparaiso_IN_46385_M35319-64975
    sold 418k assessed 250k

Clarksville:
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...ton-Mill-Rd_Clarksville_IN_47129_M48951-14998
    sold 321, assessed 191
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...ton-Mill-Rd_Clarksville_IN_47129_M48951-14998
    sold 240 assesses 193

Sorry, reality isn't really bearing out your feelings.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Hearing alot of people in Central indiana say their taxes of skyrocketed. They've been calling into Kendall and case past few weeks. So are they wrong?
    As values rise so do assessed values, and values have risen, risen enough some areas have reduced their tax rate.

Coworkers shot up like crazy . He called assesor. Assessor told him neighboring farm sold for so much and its just same size as his so therefor thats his new rate and the state allows them to assess it that way. Bad thing is his farm isn't even used as farm ground now. He's bee. Letting it go back to nature.
    Property in Indiana is either homestead, capped at 1%, ag or additional property called at 2% rentals in this group, or other property including commercial capped at 3%. If he is not farming in some way it goes to the 3% cap level.

That is exactly as the legislature set it up to use near sales as the benchmark for value. A friend had his ag exemption removed because the county said no ag was going on, taxes doubled for him and it took a year to get off…

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

It's not a dead horse, what other option is there? And no corn field here bud, I'm looking at my lake and forest out my office window.

I've said it before, you couldn't pay me to live in NWI, but to each their own.

I've paid my share, paid 2% on one property when I owned two (and no, it wasn't a rental). How's that fair? They were both my residences... one just weekends only...

While Indiana's system isn't perfect, it's more than fair!

Don't believe me, look at properties in Illinois and Michigan and tell me we have it bad here.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Indy.
    312-293
    321-238
    Greenwood
    324-293
    319-169
    Greenfield
    308-202
    325-282
    Noblesville
    307-297
    325-314
    Brownsburg
    325-272
    315-212

Yes I stated in one of my posts at least until recently. I've checked a couple in my area and they sold for more than assessed. But that is also ones that sold, and the market is currently nuts.

Also several were very recently remodeled, as in bought with the intention to flip. As I mentioned the fire I had is the only reason I could get near assessed value. New electric, hvac, plumbing, roof, windows, etc. Along with new siding, soffits, fascia, gutters that I had installed. With out that, there is no way.

Oh I just checked one my wife and I looked at, it sold for about 2/3rds assessed value. Assessed 150ish, sold for 90 which was more than asking.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hearing alot of people in Central indiana say their taxes of skyrocketed. They've been calling into Kendall and case past few weeks. So are they wrong? Coworkers shot up like crazy . He called assesor. Assessor told him neighboring farm sold for so much and its just same size as his so therefor thats his new rate and the state allows them to assess it that way. Bad thing is his farm isn't even used as farm ground now. He's bee. Letting it go back to nature.
    Skyrocket and it's above market value, or skyrocket and its at or under market value?

Calling into Kendall when they should be calling into the statehouse...
    Yes I stated in one of my posts at least until recently. I've checked a couple in my area and they sold for more than assessed. But that is also ones that sold, and the market is currently nuts.

Also several were very recently remodeled, as in bought with the intention to flip. As I mentioned the fire I had is the only reason I could get near assessed value. New electric, hvac, plumbing, roof, windows, etc. Along with new siding, soffits, fascia, gutters that I had installed. With out that, there is no way.
    It's market based and even as someone suggested, sticking with the purchase price to base property taxes off of still has its flaws...

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Skyrocket and it's above market value, or skyrocket and its at or under market value?

Calling into Kendall when they should be calling into the statehouse...

It's market based and even as someone suggested, sticking with the purchase price to base property taxes off of still has its flaws...
    Everyone does call into state house.. ya k ow what they get? Nothing crickets. Same as I got when I called Lucas when he was my rep, then fry, and now Zimmerman. Nothing.. the state doesn't want to do squat.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Everyone does call into state house.. ya k ow what they get? Nothing crickets. Same as I got when I called Lucas when he was my rep, then fry, and now Zimmerman. Nothing.. the state doesn't want to do squat.
    I've always gotten responses to my calls and letters, mostly emails but Jeff Thompson would always call me back. He's no longer my rep though.

So, what does calling into Kendall get you? What power does Rob have to change anything... he does do a good job about calling out Brownsburg and the mess that areas becoming...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Oh I just checked one my wife and I looked at, it sold for about 2/3rds assessed value. Assessed 150ish, sold for 90 which was more than asking.
    Link?

Top Bottom