• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Interesting legal question. Are these recruiting centers considered federal facilities? If so it would seem that the federal law prohibiting weapons in federal facilities would prevail. Great move anyway, our soldiers should never be forced to be sitting ducks.

at this point who cares? The feds arent even following their own laws, everyone should just follow what they want, because thats what going on right now.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Wow! Just saw on the news this evening that Gov. Pence has authorized Guard personnel to carry PERSONAL firearms while on duty. THAT is truly an outstanding and gutsy move on his part. The AG says there will be some sort of training requirements put in place, but that the authorized carry status is in force starting Monday. Damn I'm proud of the Gov!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    FYI...and its probably been covered in the chattanooga thread I haven't made it to yet(I was on vacay when it happened)...but I looked it up due to a FB discussion on my phone. The disarming of federal soldiers happened during Bush1. He didn't authorize it I don't believe...but his Sec of Defense did from the quick blurb I read. If this has been shot full of holes in the other thread I apologize...but I saw it referenced above. Not sure who disarmed the NG folks...

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Army and Air Force National Guard facilities are considered "federal property" for purposes of gun bans. Of course, the Governor, as the CinC of his State's National Guard, has the authority to upgrade the Threat Level as necessary, and I'm guessing that's what this latest decision is: upping the Threat Level to one which requires the facilities to have armed guards. Depending upon funding, this will either be Guard soldiers on State Active Duty or civilian contractors (who may be Guardsmen). Unfortunately, this WON'T mean that all Guard troops working at these facilities will be armed; in most cases, it will just be a single armed guard, with no easy backup if someone drives up to him and shoots him dead.

I repectfully disagree with you on the part of ANG Bases. I retired fro the ANG at Terre Haute as a Security Forces troop. The gun restriction part falls under the same clause that alows the state to enact/enfore on on state correctional properties. At terre Haute the only Federal Property was a section by the old hush house that Active Duty Air force had a radar site and a few Active Troops stationed from the 1950's. It actually closed sometime on in the 1970's but the small section it sat on is still Federal property.

Being Security Forces I can tell you (at least til I retired in 2007) none of our troops gave a second thought if a military troop had their firearm in their car or not. Only time I can remembr one getting a hard time was they were flasing it around and even then they were told quit being stupid lecture. The one advantage to the Air bases here is there were on duty armed security forces all over to include at the main gate so not just anyone is goin to come rolling up and get through. Much harder to pull off what happens to a office building with no armed patrols, gate guards, and alarmed fences.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Visual armed, keeps the intimadition up. Gov Pence just got a rep for doing the right and logical thing. As others have stated, sad days exist when our Federal Troops are forced to submit to attacks, with no or limited recourse. Arm them all. Secure every port, base, airbase, armor group, ship, etc. MPs/APs/SPs all armed .

If politicians realize ISIS is praying for weakness, do not give them any. Facts are facts.
    I am proud to see someone stand up and not be pushed around! If some looper wants to try his skill on a recruiter office... pay the price. No more easy pickins!

Say hello to my little friend, Mr. Beretta M9.

Add: Does anyone realize that our country has more armed people since our POTUS has started the the attempt to limit firearms? Firearms dealers had banner years on sales, slowing down the last 12-18 mos. Not stopped, just slowed. B.O's picture is on a Poster bragging as best Gun Salesman! LOL

More CCW license, states approving CCW, who can predict this future? Take a stand for what is right.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Interesting legal question. Are these recruiting centers considered federal facilities? If so it would seem that the federal law prohibiting weapons in federal facilities would prevail?

I don't think so, as all military bases are Federal Property, and they have everything from pistols to B-2 Bombers on them.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Any INGO Volunteers for Recruiter Defense? Locations? Have seen mostly other states Volunteers. Of course the laws must be followed, and personal weapons are allowed per Gov Pence.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I posted this in the other thread under the 2nd Amendment, but it applies here as well.

Interesting discussion. Kudo's to GOV Pence for his bold action. I've worked with the National Guard and they are great folks. I know one personally that is a State Police Officer, who until this change would have had to leave his service weapon in his car. I retired recently from the Navy Reserve and as many have pointed out, a significant number of sailors have not fired a firearm since basic training unless they were assigned to security duty. HOWEVER, one drill weekend could easily be devoted to classroom firearm re-familiarization and live fire practice on a local law enforcement range. With the consolidation of reserve centers around the country, most are co-located with Marines or Army units that would have M9's available for practice. The Navy could provide the ammo required easy enough, but I'm sure most sailors would be more than willing to pay for the cost of a 50 round box. As a former CO, I would have gladly paid for the ammo to qualify my entire unit.

Now to get Congress to pass legislation allowing the carrying of personal weapons on military installations, and not just by active duty military, but also civilians that work on military bases (Crane comes to mind here in Indiana - nearly a one hundred square mile gun free zone). Not that our current Commander in Chief would ever sign it...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Great move anyway, our soldiers should never be forced to be sitting ducks.

I agree. No one should be forced to be a sitting duck. Bank clerks, schools, churches, gas stations...

This move by Pence is a step in the right direction but more needs to be done. ISIS and every other threat need to be shown the power of the 2nd amendment to the Constitution.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just curious, first step?.. What else are these folks going to have to do to be able to carry? Are they going to be forced though a lot hoops to be "certified" and who is making these decisions on what they must do to be allowed to defend themselves.
    Thanks Guy, for taking this on and thanks in advance for the info if you have it..
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Just curious, first step?.. What else are these folks going to have to do to be able to carry? Are they going to be forced though a lot hoops to be "certified" and who is making these decisions on what they must do to be allowed to defend themselves.
    Thanks Guy, for taking this on and thanks in advance for the info if you have it..
    I have the same question as well.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The answer seems to be slow coming. I have another. How can National Guard members be more prepared for carrying their own gun after sitting through a NRA Basic Pistol class? How does the NRA Basic class prepare folks to deal with a shooter in a parking lot? I have sat through the NRA Basic class. It does nothing to prepare folks for dealing with situations like the one in Tennessee that brought about the executive order from our Governor.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The answer seems to be slow coming. I have another. How can National Guard members be more prepared for carrying their own gun after sitting through a NRA Basic Pistol class? How does the NRA Basic class prepare folks to deal with a shooter in a parking lot? I have sat through the NRA Basic class. It does nothing to prepare folks for dealing with situations like the one in Tennessee that brought about the executive order from our Governor.

I was just checking for are reply but the crickets seem to be resounding on this issue..
    My thoughts exactly, I teach NRA basic pistol and it's a top notch training session for a new shooter but it does NOTHING to prepare someone for an active shooter in a parking lot.. I hope and pray that the Governor intercedes and gets our soldiers the real life training that they want and need rather than this becoming a political football but it seems to be leaning toward the latter.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom