• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    So my brother-in-law recently moved from Arizona back to Indiana. Shortly before he moved he bought this Girsan shotgun. Only took it to the range once out there, and had to have someone show him how to use it. Then he had a friend help him clean it (some disassembly to do this).

Now back in Indiana and he brought it over to my place to shoot a few rounds. So the first time he loaded 4 shells into the tube, and when he tried to load it into the chamber, two shells got jammed. Occurred to me maybe he didn't push the last shell completely into the tube. Got that all taken care of, loaded a shell by racking the slide, turned off the safety, and pulled the trigger. No boom, but he said it felt like the trigger released. Emptied the whole thing and started over. First shell loaded fine and went boom. Auto reload didn't happen, as again two shells jammed in the mechanism that loads them into the chamber.

I'm thinking at this point he needs to take it to a gunsmith to get it checked out, but thought I'd ask for suggestions here first.

He only has 2-3/4-inch shells (dove loads) and the barrel says it takes that size, along with 3-inch. I have some 00 buck in 2-3/4 we could try, but not sure that's really solving the issue.

I suppose it's possible it isn't put back together completely right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sounds like a problem in reassembly to me.
    The 2-3/4" shells should have no reason not to work as advertised.
    You might have a bent lifter.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What payload and velocity were the shells your relative had? Often when breaking in a new semi auto shotgun they have trouble cycling lighter game loads off the bat. That being said, Turkish shotguns buyer beware

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have the box his ammo is from, and I think these are vintage. Not sure why he has these, it's his first shotgun and he's only had it a few months.
    IMG_2944.jpeg

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have an assortment of 12 GA, so I this K I'll try so.e of those first. If still having trouble then I'll take apart and put it back together.

Would a bent lifter be obvious?

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    So I ran a some 00 buck thru the gun. 3rd round did not eject. Cleared and reloaded, and ran about a dozen more without any issues. Found a different box of game loads in his ammo bag, and ran 4 of these without issue. He's coming by later this week and we'll try some more of these and the western dove loads again.

So it looks like running heavier loads to break it in will do the trick.

Thanks INGO!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    So I ran a some 00 buck thru the gun. 3rd round did not eject. Cleared and reloaded, and ran about a dozen more without any issues. Found a different box of game loads in his ammo bag, and ran 4 of these without issue. He's coming by later this week and we'll try some more of these and the western dove loads again.

So it looks like running heavier loads to break it in will do the trick.

Thanks INGO!
    I'd be careful doing that on a regular basis, firing a lot of heavy loads seems to be a common denominator in broken Turkish shotguns.

Top Bottom