• ...and so much more!
  • LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Hey INGO, I want some input here.

I run a small business. I have one employee that consistently performs well above my expectation for his role. He is motivated and his skills are always improving…he’s a real unicorn in these times.

He is an accomplished target shooter, and had been getting into home and self defense. He has mentioned wanting a good DA/SA double-stack handgun several times in our conversations about shooting.

I have a like-new Sig Sauer P226, chambered in .40 with a Nitron slide with tritium sights that is just collecting dust in the safe. I am a big fan of the P226, but never really got into .40 as a carry round.

I was thinking of gifting that handgun to my employee as personal gift (not a bonus tied to his employment).

Personally, I would love it if one of my employers had gifted me a gun with a personal backstory, but I want to make sure I’m thinking this all the way through…what are the potential drawbacks or pitfalls I might run into thst I should think about before I do this?

Thanks for reading my post!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Intra-state gifting of firearms is completely legal provided you are not knowingly transferring it to a prohibited person. Sounds like he's a longtime shooter and employee, so you have no reasonable belief that he's prohibited.

That's a very nice thing of you to do.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Hey INGO, I want some input here.

I run a small business. I have one employee that consistently performs well above my expectation for his role. He is motivated and his skills are always improving…he’s a real unicorn in these times.

He is an accomplished target shooter, and had been getting into home and self defense. He has mentioned wanting a good DA/SA double-stack handgun several times in our conversations about shooting.

I have a like-new Sig Sauer P226, chambered in .40 with a Nitron slide with tritium sights that is just collecting dust in the safe. I am a big fan of the P226, but never really got into .40 as a carry round.

I was thinking of gifting that handgun to my employee as personal gift (not a bonus tied to his employment).

Personally, I would love it if one of my employers had gifted me a gun with a personal backstory, but I want to make sure I’m thinking this all the way through…what are the potential drawbacks or pitfalls I might run into thst I should think about before I do this?

Thanks for reading my post!
    Very nice gesture. And are you hiring?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Intra-state gifting of firearms is completely legal provided you are not knowingly transferring it to a prohibited person. Sounds like he's a longtime shooter and employee, so you have no reasonable belief that he's prohibited.

This. If you really feel like you want to cover yourself, have it transferred through an FFL. I don’t think it would be any different than giving a child a gun for a gift.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

^this right here.
    As long as you are both Indiana residents, of legal age, and not prohibited, there is nothing to stop you, and no legal ramifications.
    What a fantastic gesture on your part.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for all your posts, I appreciate the input!

I gave him the P226 at lunch today, and he was so excited he said he was going straight to the range after work to try it out.

I haven‘t been an employer all that long, so it has been a real surprise at how much pride it makes me feel to see an employee develop their skills in my workshop. I really hope this one stays around for a while, but I have to think he will eventually be on to something bigger and better than my little shop.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I gave him the P226 at lunch today, and he was so excited he said he was going straight to the range after work to try it out.

I haven‘t been an employer all that long, so it has been a real surprise at how much pride it makes me feel to see an employee develop their skills in my workshop. I really hope this one stays around for a while, but I have to think he will eventually be on to something bigger and better than my little shop.
    Good on you! I work for the DoD. I wish they'd give me a gun. Or a tank or something. :):

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    This. If you really feel like you want to cover yourself, have it transferred through an FFL. I don’t think it would be any different than giving a child a gun for a gift.
    With an employee...I think transferring it through an FFL would be the wise thing to do...with you paying the transfer fee as part of the 'gift'!
    It's still a gift, but you would also bypass any legal issues should something change in the employer / employee status down the road at some point?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    With an employee...I think transferring it through an FFL would be the wise thing to do...with you paying the transfer fee as part of the 'gift'!
    It's still a gift, but you would also bypass any legal issues should something change in the employer / employee status down the road at some point?
    Now you're just being a worry wart and a kill joy. Legally and morally he's just fine. Hoping his shop grows to the point that the youngster stays to be part of his leadership team.
    Best of luck to the op who has his heart in the right place.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Now you're just being a worry wart and a kill joy. Legally and morally he's just fine. Hoping his shop grows to the point that the youngster stays to be part of his leadership team.
    Best of luck to the op who has his heart in the right place.
    Not really...just being prudent and responsible...and going the extra step and doing the CYA thing, as I've learned in the past, is just a part of being both prudent and responsible.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Great gift.
    You can obviously feel good about doing this deal on a handshake, no ffl necessary.

You are on the right track to keeping him if it’s possible at all. Good will and appreciation go almost as far as pay, sometimes farther.
    I have 4 guys that work for me that I probably don’t deserve, and I want to keep them but them moving on is always nagging in the back of my head, and creative ways to appreciate them are never forgotten.

Your comment about pride is spot on!

One time I offered 500 5.56, 1000 9mm, or $500 (ammo was high) as a bonus and it was a mixed bag on who took what.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    1.Hold the pistol in your left hand.
    2.Shake his/her hand vigorously with your right hand while thanking them for their exemplary work.
    3. Create a memory for both of you that lasts a lifetime.
    4. Enjoy the reaction

End of instructions

Top Bottom