• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well, hopefully it turns out better for you than us. Mine came back from there as an abortion proponent who drags her husband and three kids to pride parades and the like. And yes, she has taken to coloring her hair blue or purple alternating. The other four never "went away" to college and are still pretty much the way we raised them.
    That's a shame.

I hope to avoid IU altogether, but sooner or later they have to spread their wings.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Valid worry. Steer WAAAAAY clear of IU if at all possible. I speak from experience with my oldest.
    Our son graduates next month from IU then starts Law School there in the fall. It's not a virus. Lots of whack jobs there but there is a lot to be learned there in spite of them. My son always thought they were humorous. Their nursing and Medical School are some of the best in the nation.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Oldest went to IU - formerly Christian and now hard-left atheist.
    Next to Olivet (still Christian), then Columbia, where she was moved leftward.
    Next to IU/CSU, but then she was always a leftist.
    Youngest - no college, CNC/precision machining from IVY Tech during HS, still Christian.

Pattern perceived - the more Christianity told them not to do the things they wanted to do anyway, the harder left/atheist they became.
    Yup. The wife and I have always provided guidance but our views were not pushed on them. Give them the building blocks to think critically and let them follow their own path. I grew up Catholic. Both kids baptized but we don't do church. My wife believes in God, I'm more agnostic/atheist. Kids never went to church but they are always free to follow their own path. My son has a girlfriend who is practicing Catholic. He has gone to church with her and I applaud his exploration. If he decides that is right for him, I'm 100% supportive. Kids excel at crossing lines drawn in the sand. We try to keep those to a minimum. Cuts down on the rebellious behavior.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, hopefully it turns out better for you than us. Mine came back from there as an abortion proponent who drags her husband and three kids to pride parades and the like. And yes, she has taken to coloring her hair blue or purple alternating. The other four never "went away" to college and are still pretty much the way we raised them.
    Curious, isn't it? Why our kids (and I know I did it too) give more weight to the words of complete strangers than they do their own parents? I get it, if you're trying to learn about engineering, math, biology, etc. but for foundational topics, how we will so willingly give up what our parents drilled into us because some person with an advanced degree said so--it's a human condition, I guess.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Curious, isn't it? Why our kids (and I know I did it too) give more weight to the words of complete strangers than they do their own parents? I get it, if you're trying to learn about engineering, math, biology, etc. but for foundational topics, how we will so willingly give up what our parents drilled into us because some person with an advanced degree said so--it's a human condition, I guess.
    Most are easily impressionable at that age, and they've been told over and over to believe what educators say.

I think wanting to rebel some and wanting to be a part of something is also a big influence.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    All 4 kids went to public school. Youngest graduates this year. All 4 still conservative Christians.

Oldest - Married with baby on the way. No college, pharmacy tech, very conservative. Husband is enlisted Army.
    2nd - 1 year at GVSU in Grand Rapids, then 9 months medical school to get her MA license. Conservative, high standards, especially when it comes to dating.
    3rd - First year at Grand Rapids Community College, most classes online. Lives at home. He is my Mini-Me. Ultra conservative and complains daily about his generation.
    4th - Senior in public high school. He is currently interning at the Sheriffs Dept and wants to go into LE. Very conservative.

Yes, public education can be influential, especially considering they spend more time there than they do at home. I have always been a "hands-on" father and present in their lives with open communication. I think that's a big influencer on their lives. The problem is that most parents are too busy, and they allow the schools to raise their kids, not just teaching basic knowledge. School was a necessary evil, but school didn't raise my kids or teach them how to think. I did.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Yes, public education can be influential, especially considering they spend more time there than they do at home. I have always been a "hands-on" father and present in their lives with open communication. I think that's a big influencer on their lives. The problem is that most parents are too busy, and they allow the schools to raise their kids, not just teaching basic knowledge. School was a necessary evil, but school didn't raise my kids or teach them how to think. I did.
    Red =Probably the biggest issue that has resulted in the "progressives" getting a leg-up.

I consider my kids to be home schooled. Yes, they attend public school. But they are lucky enough to have two successful parents at home that are actively involved. One issue with homeschooling is the ability to know and to teach. Education alone doesn't make one a good teacher. In my case, my two oldest are way past anything I studied. I simply couldn't teach them advanced chemistry or trigonometry, etc. They are well grounded kids that fully understand the insanity that is our world today. But, at some point soon, they'll be tasked with living their own life in this insanity. Hopefully I've laid a foundation they can build from. During the vidsanity, it was all e-learning. There was no ****ing learning. I assigned each of them tasks. Simple living tasks but with the ability to make decisions. Such as grocery planning, paying bills, soliciting insurance policies and quantifying the particulars. They loved it. I loved it. A full eye opener for them and I still see them thinking in the ways we discussed during the social insanity know as 2019-2021.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    All 4 of ours were raised in a Christian home. They went to Rose-Hulman, Purdue, Ball State, and U of L. Except for the 4th, they are still good Christian parents and very successful. Chem Engineer, RN, IT for a large company. Married to Masters of music, another IT, Electrical engineer.

The fourth that went to Ball State is a mess. Can't hold a job, has isolated themselves from family, and a couple profs at Ball State convinced her she wasn't who she was.
    Never had an issue with the other colleges, either in policy or arranging money/housing. Ball State was a nightmare on every level.

Don

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Man I just left DC/Virginia over this nonsense! Haha jk...I know it may seem bad, but it's way worse on the east coast. It's not just schools, but also the home you provide. Neighbor and I both went to mass at the same church, and all four of his kids have resisted the insanity.

I also went to a violently progressive school run by Europeans, and it had the opposite effect...I started going to church and buying guns!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    All 4 of ours were raised in a Christian home. They went to Rose-Hulman, Purdue, Ball State, and U of L. Except for the 4th, they are still good Christian parents and very successful. Chem Engineer, RN, IT for a large company. Married to Masters of music, another IT, Electrical engineer.

The fourth that went to Ball State is a mess. Can't hold a job, has isolated themselves from family, and a couple profs at Ball State convinced her she wasn't who she was.
    Never had an issue with the other colleges, either in policy or arranging money/housing. Ball State was a nightmare on every level.

Don
    What college she went to isn't the problem.....

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    The University my wife works at, and I retired from, provides Tuition Remission to participating Universities. Meaning our sons could attend participating Universities tuition free. Out oldest son had no interest what so ever in attending college. Our youngest son took advantage of it. Both have good careers. The oldest in law enforcement (some my say not a good career to be in now a days). Although he is in a unique type of LE, and loves it. The youngest is in IT doing systems security/administration for a local hospital. Gotta let em figure it out, with some direction and guidance.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    What college she went to isn't the problem.....
    Please explain.
    I know there were internal issues but Ball State professors directly influenced the outcome including medical treatment with out notifying me of any of it. Spoke to the family Dr and turns out the regime of treatment was far out of the norm for the issue.

Don

Top Bottom