Funny Political Picture/Video Thread Part 9** The other side is still making it easy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    As President Lincoln wrote in 1862, “My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.”
    And you do realize that, in 1863, with the issuance of the Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln found out that saving the Union involved freeing some of the slaves. And so he did that. Those in the rebellious states were freed first, and eventually all.

Some in the Union military were not happy, since they signed up to preserve the Union, not free slaves. Many in the South were already not happy, since owners of 20 or more slaves were ineligible to be drafted (and the Confederacy was the first to impose the draft, not being able to get enough volunteers).

The Union Navy was especially the beneficiary of anti-slavery policies, since "contrabands" helped fill out crews (the Navy was not allowed to offer bounties for most of the war). And unlike the Army, the Navy was integrated, with black petty officers giving orders to white sailors in some situations. At least until Wilson (surprise) dis-integrated everything.

Slavery was going to be the main issue, sooner or later.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just like the the attack on Pearl Harbor was the main reason for war with Japan but far from the only reason. It is no more accurate to say either conflict was 'only' about a single issue than it is to say it was not about the main issue at all. The desire is for realization that war is a complicated issue that has never had a single cause

Archduke Ferdinand could not be reached for comment

Top Bottom