• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Well, in a couple of years, there will be an episode of “engineering, disasters“ or. “Countdown to disaster“ explaining everything that led up to this.

After watching many episodes of air disasters, it always comes down to multiple issues and chains of events that have to align to cause the disaster. I doubt this will be any different.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well, in a couple of years, there will be an episode of “engineering, disasters“ or. “Countdown to disaster“ explaining everything that led up to this.

After watching many episodes of air disasters, it always comes down to multiple issues and chains of events that have to align to cause the disaster. I doubt this will be any different.

I doubt it will be any different in the demand to plunder taxpayers to make the world so safe this will never happen again.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I doubt it will be any different in the demand to plunder taxpayers to make the world so safe this will never happen again.
    maybe we should pay a harbor pilot 400k a year to guide boats in and out of a harbor with tug boats....
    one thing about the port of Baltimore, it specializes in receiving bulk containers filled well over what can just be thrown on a semi and sent down the road. this is going to cause a good bit of disruption in heavy industry and farming (fertilizer) I am dealing with this right now in the steel industry and it is bigger than i think most people realize.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    maybe we should pay a harbor pilot 400k a year to guide boats in and out of a harbor with tug boats....
    one thing about the port of Baltimore, it specializes in receiving bulk containers filled well over what can just be thrown on a semi and sent down the road. this is going to cause a good bit of disruption in heavy industry and farming (fertilizer) I am dealing with this right now in the steel industry and it is bigger than i think most people realize.
    Two items that have been in shortage and hard to obtain of late are steel and concrete.
    Where are they going to get supplies to rebuild?

The city of Lafayette is behind schedule on several projects due to a concrete shortage.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Hmmmm……..feeding the tin hats?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    They were out calling it an accident before the damn black box was off the ship...
    Again, because "accident" is the null hypothesis. It is unquestionably the highest probability of being the cause. That doesn't mean that it definitively is the cause, just that there will need to be some specific, convincing evidence to the contrary to disprove.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yep.
    Trusses work great for gravity, but have almost no lateral strength.
    Ever see video of "Galloping Girtie"?

Better known as the Tacoma Narrows bridge.
    Tacoma Narrows was a specific part of engineering courses: both to understand the integral calculus involved in the oscillation and as a dire warning of the consequence of poor engineering design.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

It's GWP, so: yes?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Total power loss means no sensors feeding data to the recorder. Not that surprising. A little battery can keep a microphone running and keep the recorder going, but everything that sends information to the recorder needs power.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Total power loss means no sensors feeding data to the recorder. Not that surprising. A little battery can keep a microphone running and keep the recorder going, but everything that sends information to the recorder needs power.
    OK, so there is no back up power, system to feed the video and such? I don‘t know anything, truly, but some of this stuff is raising questions.

Again, before people suggest otherwise, I do not know what happened nor do I claim it was terrorists (foreign or otherwise). I’m just wanting to know.

In last few years we have had severe train wrecks, doors flying off jets and now this on the waterways. Just sayin’

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    OK, so there is no back up power, system to feed the video and such? I don‘t know anything, truly, but some of this stuff is raising questions.

Again, before people suggest otherwise, I do not know what happened nor do I claim it was terrorists (foreign or otherwise). I’m just wanting to know.

In last few years we have had severe train wrecks, doors flying off jets and now this on the waterways. Just sayin’
    It'd likely take a bit for backup power to kick on, those sensors likely don't have any backup batteries nor would their CCTV system (if they had one)

In the NTSB video, they said the captain called for the port anchor to be dropped (which if it was dropped and caught, should have made the ship veer to the left).

They could have dropped the wrong anchor, which would explain it turning to the right.

IMO, the Boeing issue stems from them moving the Corp offices away from the factories, letting accountants run the company (an issue with most large corporations - gotta keep wall street happy), and a lack of good, qualified engineers. Boeing used to be the place to work, now Google, Facebook, etc are taking the talent. DEI policies play into this as well, as does the dumming down of overall society.... we're in for a rough stretch ahead!

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    It'd likely take a bit for backup power to kick on, those sensors likely don't have any backup batteries nor would their CCTV system (if they had one)

In the NTSB video, they said the captain called for the port anchor to be dropped (which if it was dropped and caught, should have made the ship veer to the left).

They could have dropped the wrong anchor, which would explain it turning to the right.

IMO, the Boeing issue stems from them moving the Corp offices away from the factories, letting accountants run the company (an issue with most large corporations - gotta keep wall street happy), and a lack of good, qualified engineers. Boeing used to be the place to work, now Google, Facebook, etc are taking the talent. DEI policies play into this as well, as does the dumming down of overall society.... we're in for a rough stretch ahead!
    The older I get, the faster it spins.

Top Bottom