• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Agreed as to the government likely being a greater danger in this than the flu itself...

As to preppers and non-preppers losing interest...well, I'm about as unprepared as it comes, and even if this turns out to be nothing, I'm going to devote more time and capitol towards making sure I'm prepared if the NEXT big thing turns out to be something.

If anything, this flu and the potential threat it presents has opened my eyes, and gotten me to reject the idea that SHTF isn't likely to happen in my lifetime. If it does go bad, I'm kinda f'ed. So I'm hoping it doesn't, and I'll live to prepare for another day!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Some people will become complacent. Some will not. True survivalists and preppers will be in the latter group. The others in the former group will be those who have only ever toyed with the idea.

At this point it IS hype. It's just not that deadly right now. If it mutates it could be a different story, but the various flu viruses are always changing; nothing new to see here, just an opportunity for the driveby media.

For perspective, suggest doing some research on the 1976 swine flu outbreak. Many of us here on the board are old enough to remember that one. Only ONE guy (David Lewis) died of the swine flu in 1976. More people died from the botched vaccination program the following fall or got Guillain-Barré syndrome. Only 40 million were vaccinated before the program was halted. And that flu never did cause an outbreak.

It is a good idea to remain vigilent. Afterall, it was a strain of H1N1 that caused the 1918 pandemic and the current strain does appear to be easily transmitted (unlike the 1976 strain). Prudent preparation is wise. Overreaction isn't.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Here's some sanity from the LA Times of all places:

Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild - Los Angeles Times

"As the World Health Organization raised its infectious disease alert level Wednesday and health officials confirmed the first death linked to swine flu inside U.S. borders, scientists studying the virus are coming to the consensus that this hybrid strain of influenza -- at least in its current form -- isn't shaping up to be as fatal as the strains that caused some previous pandemics.

In fact, the current outbreak of the H1N1 virus, which emerged in San Diego and southern Mexico late last month, may not even do as much damage as the run-of-the-mill flu outbreaks that occur each winter without much fanfare."

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    It is not hype. A pandemic is quite possible. What we dont know is the SEVERITY of the virus. Right now it looks mild, and we could have a large number of mild cases. Pandemic does not mean your all going to die.

1918 started mild in the spring, came back full swing in August just in time for flu season.

If this mutates and becomes more virulent or resistant, then we could see large amounts of fatalities.

Right now it is not an H5N1 (avian) threat with a 60% mortality, but its one amino acid away from it.

Lesson learned is that in reality you have about a week to get your stuff together.

Will the gov take advantage of it? Sure, but I would not minimalize what the virus can change into.
    Not to hijack the thread, but you do realize that most of the people who died in 1918 didn't die from the flu, they died from strep. The overwhelming majority of people who died from the one in 1976 died from the vaccine, not the flu. I'm just sayin...

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    As far a shurting those who prep, I doubt it. However, I think that B-HO and his cronies will find some way to take credit for a crisis averted.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    As far as hurting those who prep, I doubt it. However, I think that B-HO and his cronies will find some way to take credit for a crisis averted.

Ding! Ding! Ding! And All the cronies will praise him like a false messiah for diverting such a catastrophe. Wile he uses this crises to blindfold his sheep so they cant see whats coming.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    It will not stop my preps, if anything it makes my preps more important. I am no where near where I want to be as far as being prepared and this is just another reminder as to why I do it. I didn't have any surgical mask before, I do now. I did have gas mask for the family shortly after 911 and still have them with fresh filters ready to go. The preps never stop and I pray I have time to prep more.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Guys,

Call me crazy but I honestly feel from the bottom of my heart that this is a media overhype. A state of emergency will be put into play nationwide and you'll all see martial law on the streets of our nation.

Get ready, be prepared pray to high heaven.

Not to thread jack but if martial law was imposed because of this do you think our internet access would still work?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Not to thread jack but if martial law was imposed because of this do you think our internet access would still work?

Giving the fact you still had electricity and all ISP's // relays are not federally mandated and controlled, it should still work.

Keep in mind, the internets was designed by the DoD; it was intended for main communication during a nuclear fallout.

The Internet is very dynamic, it'll still work providing no government steps in and the power grid works.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No the internet would not work. If someone truly wants to "kill" the internet in only takes a dedicate core of hackers less then 30 mins to bring it to it's knees via software. Hackers testify in front of congress back in the 90s about this and one of those hackers again in an interview with Tom's Hardware said that it would probably take less then 30 mins now.

Better yet you can kill the internet in the USA by physically cutting the fiber optic lines on both coast. This recently occurred on the west coast. So don't count on the net to be around.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    you should be getting your data from the WHO, not mainstream media. I have a source at the company in england that is making the meds for this...they are incredibly busy, but no panic as of today.

try this link. http://www.who.int/en/

If you worked in the place that made the meds to treat the illness. Would you panic? It is yhe poor schmucks that can not get the meds and are sick that will paniic.:laugh:

Over a week ago I talked to my father about getting basic 1 weeks worth of preps and checkng the dates on his Y2K preps. He told me that since Y2K was such a joke he gave hs stored foods to charity and couldn't be living in fear. Basicly told me it was in the Lords Hands.
    There will always be converts either way.
    So yes I believe some will change their outlooks.
    Me I placed another clicknpull order at sams club yesterday for some extras to add to the cupboard.

Last edited:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    No the internet would not work. If someone truly wants to "kill" the internet in only takes a dedicate core of hackers less then 30 mins to bring it to it's knees via software. Hackers testify in front of congress back in the 90s about this and one of those hackers again in an interview with Tom's Hardware said that it would probably take less then 30 mins now.

Better yet you can kill the internet in the USA by physically cutting the fiber optic lines on both coast. This recently occurred on the west coast. So don't count on the net to be around.

There are some nodes which can run point to point on wireless bands. Too bad there aren't more.

Top Bottom