• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Think about this for a few minutes.

A regular flu kills TENS of THOUSANDS of people each year. We now have the so-called and media hyped Swine Flu that has killed a couple dozen. The 1 death we have had here in the US was an illegal immigrant, under the age of 2, who caught the disease in Mexico, was transported to Texas for treatment, but received it too late and died.

Now this flu seems to be spreading but doesn't seem to be a 'bad' flu, symptoms appear to be reasonably mild and it seems to respond well to medication. So it may be one big over-hyped non-event.

Yes, it could mutate. Yes, millions could die. But AT LEAST FOR NOW that is not the case.

So let's fast forward 4 to 6 months after this is over. What then?

All the 'preppers' will have used little of none of their supplies. All the non-preppers may actually become MORE COMPLACENT and more like SHEEPLE because they will see that the big government will swoop in with flu shots or whatever else is needed and take care of them.

So I ask, if this is a non-event will it actually be harmful to the 'prepper' movement that believe that 3 months to a year of food storage is reasonable, that keeping some cash in the safe is reasonable, that keeping the home defendable is reasonable, etc.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    As I recall the news channels have been beating the upcoming Pandemic drum for several years now. They are really excited that there may be something to actually talk about.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    As I recall the news channels have been beating the upcoming Pandemic drum for several years now. They are really excited that there may be something to actually talk about.

Guys,

Call me crazy but I honestly feel from the bottom of my heart that this is a media overhype. A state of emergency will be put into play nationwide and you'll all see martial law on the streets of our nation.

Get ready, be prepared pray to high heaven.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do you think our Big Government will make it happen? Conspiracy Theory? I hope not. I like many hope this is only News Hype, but then why isn't the Fox Network thinking it is hype?

I'll look into my Crystal Ball and tell you in about six months what happened.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK I agree its mostly hype, but none of the responses are related to the question . . . which was:
    So I ask, if this is a non-event will it actually be harmful to the 'prepper' movement that believe that 3 months to a year of food storage is reasonable, that keeping some cash in the safe is reasonable, that keeping the home defendable is reasonable, etc.​

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Nah, i doubt it. The same people that prepped for Y2K, Obama, Swine Flu... all the recent disasters, will still prep for the next one that gets predicted.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I for one have seen the light so to speak. This event scares me. Why is Obamalamadingdong asking for 1.5b?? That's mobalize troop money not back up the hospitals money. IMHO

As for prepping I am nervous that I have failed my family by not allowing this thought process to play out before this week. I guess in my mind by not accepting the reality that something could go horribly wrong with the system in place, made it less of a possibility.

I look at the expense of prepping in one shot and its overwhelming. I pray that I have another chance to be prepared now. I do already have a generator capable of providing all of our creature comforts. The wife was scared just enough by this to agree to a few weeks extra food in this weeks shopping.

So if anything this event has given me focus in the preperations area and I will now make sure my family is taken care of if and when the eat, work, shop,sleep and poop cycle gets broken. I only hope that some of the people that hadn't thought of the possibility do, and not accept that the .gov will take care of us.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Think about this for a few minutes.

A regular flu kills TENS of THOUSANDS of people each year. We now have the so-called and media hyped Swine Flu that has killed a couple dozen. The 1 death we have had here in the US was an illegal immigrant, under the age of 2, who caught the disease in Mexico, was transported to Texas for treatment, but received it too late and died.

The little boy was NOT an illegal immigrant! He was a tourist here (USA) visiting relatives. Please get your facts correct and don't just label all mexican's illegal.
    Mexican boy visiting Texas 1st US swine flu death | AP Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

1) The prepers will continue to prep even if this does not go bad. It's in our nature to do just that. We have already been riddicled and called crazy by all (even our family) so it makes no difference to us if nobody belives us. When the time comes and GOD cleans the earth only the prep will be left.

2) The sheep will always be sheep and no amount of help can help them. Left I6BO and his administration try to help them. In the end the sheep are going to blame I6BO for all of this. Sheep are nasty little animals that must always blame someone. Case in point the sheep of the inner city of chicago (community organization where I6BO was at) are already saying that I6BO is not doing anything for them. On the ABC Chicago news today. Sheep are a dime a dozen and are more dangerous than even the liberals.

3) The english media is a freaking joke and just wants a story. IGNORE THE MEDIA. As others have pointed out look at the official sources, not the CDC either.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Nah, i doubt it. The same people that prepped for Y2K, Obama, Swine Flu... all the recent disasters, will still prep for the next one that gets predicted.
    Yes those people probably will. But what about the people who have CONSIDERED prepping but have not yet done so, or for that matter not even started. There are many here on these forums who discuss various types of prepping from people like me with a couple months of food to people who have bulk beans, rice and seeds. There are many ways to prep, but my question really is will a 'non-event' turn this into something where people can justify complacency?

I for one have seen the light
    . . .
    As for prepping I am nervous that I have failed my family by not allowing this thought process to play out before this week
    . . .
    So if anything this event has given me focus in the preperations area and I will now make sure my family is taken care of if and when the eat, work, shop,sleep and poop cycle gets broken. I only hope that some of the people that hadn't thought of the possibility do, and not accept that the .gov will take care of us.
    Seems to me that you are well on your way and now will be able to take care of your family.

But as you note there is the chance that others will grasp this as a warning while some will simply wait for a hand out.

The little boy was NOT an illegal immigrant! He was a tourist here (USA) visiting relatives. Please get your facts correct and don't just label all mexican's illegal.
    Mexican boy visiting Texas 1st US swine flu death | AP Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
    I stand corrected, he was a tourist. The news report I heard today was that he was an illegal immigrant who crossed the border to get health care in America. I reported what I heard. By the way, if you ever met me you'd be hard pressed to label me as someone who considers 'all mexican's illegal' or all blacks lazy or all anyone else anything.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Your "america english" news is giving you wrong info melansdad.:D No worries the freaking news media are overstating everything right now and not even fact checking.

As for those on the fence on preping, Hum... I think I have gotten to a point this week where I have told myself SCREW IT you can't help everyone and you can't help those that don't want to help themselves.

Melansdad knows what I mean but for thr rest of you here is the story in a nutshell. When melansdad report a possible swine flu on his daughter and the school she goes to. I told my wife who told her sister (my nieces go that that school) and she (sisiter-in-law) called us crazy and said shehad not hear anything. Even now with the cases being report she is in denial and says the media is lieing. We bought her some N95 mask a few days ago and she refused to pick them up! Sadly you can not help this type of person. It's just not possible.

As sad as it sounds I have given up trying to gather extra supplies for the extended family (mom, dad, sisters, in-laws, etc...) it's impossible to stockpile everything for eveyrone and frankly it's not my role. My immediate family is my role to protect. Everyone else i gave them the info. When it comes time that the waters come (noah's art referrence). I'm sorry my ship is locked and full no more passangers.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . .When melansdad report a possible swine flu on his daughter and the school she goes to. I told my wife who told her sister (my nieces go that that school) and she (sisiter-in-law) called us crazy and said shehad not hear anything. . .

As an update for everyone, the problem at the school with the kids getting sick seems to be LIMITED to the 8th grade class. All the 8th grade students attended an event at Andrean H.S. over the weekend. I believe that 8 or 9 of the students are still out sick. Symptoms are flu like with headache, exhaustion, etc. But there seems to be NO FEVER and that rules out most strains of the flu.

As for the topic at hand, I wonder about people like jediagh's sister in law and my brother. They see the events up close but don't recognize them. Last summer tornadoes went through Munster, Highland, Griffith causing flooding, extended power outages, interruption of water service, etc. My brother called me because his generator would not start, it came with his home when he bought the house. Turns out the butterfly valve under the gas tank was closed :laugh: But during the conversation he lamented "WHO THINKS OF PLANNING FOR THIS STUFF" to which I lit into him with a brief tirade about how he should plan for his family. I could do much better than I do but at least my family could get buy, comfortably, for a whole lot longer than most, even if not as long as some others.

My concern is that those who CONSIDERED prepping may give up on the idea if this whole swine flu thing becomes a non-issue.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I feel as if i am prepared... at least to some degree... although this has me wanting some masks which i did not have stockpiled prior to this.... and some food supplies.... i have about a months worth of canned food but am now contemplating a sams club membership for some bulk dry rice and beans.... 3 months worth..... that should pretty much set me straight for anything other than a TEOTWAWKI event

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    i am not worried about the flu... its the government that i am worried about.

Did you miss the announcement yesterday that the Gov't was going to spend 1.5 Billion with a B on the Mexican Swine Flu? They never pass up a good or hyped crisis as an excuse to spend more of our tax dollars.

The good news is that the press quit talking about gun control in US to reduce violence in Mexico ...at least for a while.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It is not hype. A pandemic is quite possible. What we dont know is the SEVERITY of the virus. Right now it looks mild, and we could have a large number of mild cases. Pandemic does not mean your all going to die.

1918 started mild in the spring, came back full swing in August just in time for flu season.

If this mutates and becomes more virulent or resistant, then we could see large amounts of fatalities.

Right now it is not an H5N1 (avian) threat with a 60% mortality, but its one amino acid away from it.

Lesson learned is that in reality you have about a week to get your stuff together.

Will the gov take advantage of it? Sure, but I would not minimalize what the virus can change into.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I never have prepped for any disaster.It is not (to me)about any one event and never has been.It is about being able to be more self sufficient,and being able to provide for me and my family regardless of what is going on.
    In answer to the original question,wont change my preps at all :)

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I never have prepped for any disaster.It is not (to me)about any one event and never has been.It is about being able to be more self sufficient,and being able to provide for me and my family regardless of what is going on.
    In answer to the original question,wont change my preps at all :)

Great answer :D

I don't fear this thing even in the slightest. My hope is in God, not in man.

Top Bottom