• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    GT Distributors is selling police trade-ins: Glock 37, night sights, box, 3 mags, engraved slide - Florida Highway Patrol. These are Gen 4. I know they are .45 GAP's but for $305 shipped, that's a good deal (especially in today's market). I bought two (another GAP for me and one for my son). No need to get upset about the caliber (I've heard it many times before), just thought I would pass along this info. The nice CS lady said they got in a lot of them (from what I read, FHP had 3000 of them).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve always been intrigued by .45 GAP. For those that reload, is it possible to trim .45 ACP brass down to .45 GAP?

These look like a great deal at that price.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    These guns are paperweights, unless you already have ammo. No 45 GAP ammo available on Ammoseek. The only viable use for them, other than as collector's items for those who are fond of obscurity, is for possible conversion to 40 S&W. And at $305 shipped plus $150 for a conversion kit, you're at more money out the door than a used Glock 22.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I wonder if whoever thought the conversion to this caliber was a good idea got promoted...

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    These guns are paperweights, unless you already have ammo. No 45 GAP ammo available on Ammoseek. The only viable use for them, other than as collector's items for those who are fond of obscurity, is for possible conversion to 40 S&W. And at $305 shipped plus $150 for a conversion kit, you're at more money out the door than a used Glock 22.
    wrong
    plenty of 45gap available at targetsportsusa

***im wrong, there was just a few days ago, plenty of it. now there is none***

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That's crazy. A few months back there was a thread on 45gap and it was plentiful and still relatively normal price. Now it's all gone.

Alright which member had the foresight to buy it all?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    wrong
    plenty of 45gap available at targetsportsusa

***im wrong, there was just a few days ago, plenty of it. now there is none***
    yep.gif

I did see some 45 GAP brass online, so I guess if you reload and want to tinker with a near-dead caliber, that could be an option. I still think there are much better ways to spend $305 + transfer fee than buying a G37.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    It's a standard Glock frame, so the only possible conversions are 9mm, 357 Sig and 40. The only one I've seen is 40.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I’ve always been intrigued by .45 GAP. For those that reload, is it possible to trim .45 ACP brass down to .45 GAP?

These look like a great deal at that price.
    Long answer, yes with a but. Short answer, no with a maybe.

There's some serious neck turning involved to convert .45 ACP brass down to GAP. The web of the case is higher on ACP than GAP and it interferes with the bullet seating. Not a HUGE issue, but one that people who aren't serious about loading soon to be hipster/obscure calibers will be adverse to. I had used my 3d printer to make a DIY woodlathe to turn necks on brass. You don't need a machine shop to do it.

You also have to use small primer ACP brass instead of large primer due to the larger primer causing overpressure issues with the shorter case. Again, not a HUGE issue, but to some, a mountain out of a mole hill.

BUT, at 20K PSI pressure, you're not going to be burning through cases like a madman. I still have converted ACP cases that are on their 10th or so loading with only a trim.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I bought one and I really don’t know why?
    Because people who disparage .45 GAP either never shot one or just don't want to challenge themselves in handloading. :cool:

Smoother recoil impulse than even 9mm, but has more "push". Still VERY controllable. I love my 39 and sold my 30 because of it. I did shoot a 37 and even with hot defensive loadings, it is more controllable and easier to shoot than .40.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've always thought the .45 GAP was an interesting caliber, but could never convince myself that it was worth it to get into both a different, as well as 'odd' caliber! I've loved .45 acp for many years...prolly not going to make that jump at this point in life!

Top Bottom