• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Just put in my order to PSA for a full upper. 16" midlength hammer-forged light-profile w/MOE handguards. I already have the lower build kit (PSA MOE as well). Now I just have to work out the stripped lower here locally and wait...

Getting excited... Stupid black-rifle-disease...

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Looking at almost the exact same thing for my first AR. Think I will just get the psa compete kit 16 mid light profile and find a stripped lower locally. Probably get it with moe handguard, but don't think I will do the rest of the moe furniture as it cost basically the same as just buying it seperate, so if I just wait and upgrade from the psa stuff down the road it will cost about the same and I'll have extra parts as well.

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    also botach has a deal and magpul stuff, use slickmag for 20% off, picking up pmags and mbus from them, free ship as well.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Nate welcome to the fourm, you're almost to 50, if that's the goal.

Thanks. I've actually been around since 2009, but was mostly inactive and didn't post much even when I was reading.

Honestly, I'll be glad to be over 50, but that's not my ultimate goal. It seems like everyone thinks that all posts from an "under 50" person are only to get "over 50". I'm not saying I may not leverage the classifieds -- I probably will -- but there isn't anything right now that I need to buy/sell.

Overall, I'm just getting more active with firearms again (hence the AR) and I like this forum.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Looking at almost the exact same thing for my first AR. Think I will just get the psa compete kit 16 mid light profile and find a stripped lower locally. Probably get it with moe handguard, but don't think I will do the rest of the moe furniture as it cost basically the same as just buying it seperate, so if I just wait and upgrade from the psa stuff down the road it will cost about the same and I'll have extra parts as well.

That'll work -- definitely one nice thing about the AR -- lots of options and ways to go about things.

also botach has a deal and magpul stuff, use slickmag for 20% off, picking up pmags and mbus from them, free ship as well.

I'm definitely not the right guy to comment on this, but I believe I'd read of some not-so-great experiences dealing with botach. I've honestly never used them. From what I've seen, they seem to get mixed reviews. Some people are very happy with their experience and some are not so happy.

Good luck with your build.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I remember building my forst AR, knowing that I had all the guns I would ever need after that one. I am working on build number 5 now.:rockwoot:

Enjoy the disease. get your wife into them as well, they are a great gun.

ninjab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    pulled the trigger on the PSA kit as well, hope it gets here sooner than later, going to be painfull waiting.

Worth it to pick up a stock wrench or any other tools? I have common tools (vice grip/wrenchs/allens/etc) and a brass hammer/punch set.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    pulled the trigger on the PSA kit as well, hope it gets here sooner than later, going to be painfull waiting.

Worth it to pick up a stock wrench or any other tools? I have common tools (vice grip/wrenchs/allens/etc) and a brass hammer/punch set.

Honestly, this is my first. There are a number of good guides/videos out there. You'll want a stock wrench, but I don't think there is too much else you'll need based on what you just stated. Good luck.

I'm just going to do my best to not launch the detent springs into space.

Acole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I put my lower together using only a stock wrench, screwdriver, hex driver, and a pair of Robogrips. I used one of the guides on ar15.com. The guide mentioned that if you went the vicegrip route, you would want to wrap some electrical tape around it. Take this advice, or you WILL end up with scratches.

Also, you'll want a center punch and a hammer (or a spring-loaded center punch) to stake the castle nut.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Getting closer...

This came more quickly than I expected. Now I just need to get a hold of a lower.

Sorry about the cruddy pic. Just a quick one with my phone.

2gujllu.jpg

Top Bottom