• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    So I called them today… they said it is from a cold chimney and sent me an instructional video on how to light the stove. I had a feeling it wasn’t going to work but I figured I would do it EXACTLY how they said.

It did not work.

The only thing I thought could have changed was….. I used some cardboard to light a fire one day instead of just the torch and kindling? I thought maybe that a flame had lodged itself in the way… but I ran a brush the full chimney length and stuck my arm vacuum and brush up around the oven to dislodge anything in the gas route.

I really thought we were onto something with the baffle since I most likely have bumped that loading the firebox too full.
    This makes me wonder if you don't have some sort of obstruction. Are you able to easily access the gas path around the oven to be sure nothing got lodged there? If not, maybe wait for some colder outside temps to see if your draft improves before attempting any in depth investigation/cleaning.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Welp…. Who had their $$ on obstruction? 100% blockage right on top of the oven. Chimney was clear, now I know. I really appreciate all the advice offers and quick responses in my extremely stressed out state of mind. Have a great day everyone

Attachments

• IMG_6847.jpeg
      IMG_6847.jpeg
      519.3 KB · Views: 27
    • IMG_6846.jpeg
      IMG_6846.jpeg
      415.1 KB · Views: 27
    • IMG_6848.jpeg
      IMG_6848.jpeg
      660.4 KB · Views: 27

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Welp…. Who had their $$ on obstruction? 100% blockage right on top of the oven. Chimney was clear, now I know. I really appreciate all the advice offers and quick responses in my extremely stressed out state of mind. Have a great day everyone
    Awesome that you found it. I'd be sure to clean all around the oven gas path. It might require some disassembly to get everything cleared out. Good luck.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Awesome that you found it. I'd be sure to clean all around the oven gas path. It might require some disassembly to get everything cleared out. Good luck.
    Yeah I have cleaned everything except that spot very well. Because I didn’t want to scratch up the black chimney taking it apart but now I see that spot will need special attention because of the oven I am sure. But I also bet with a proper chimney brush it would clean that spot from the top.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Glad you found it. That was the noise you heard last week. Now you know noise other than airflow in chimney is bad.

Now for the bad news....That amount of buildup in 30 or so days tells me your wood is wet and or you are turning the air down too far too fast.

Lookup the 3 stages of creosote. Buy next year's wood supply now to guarantee this doesn't happen again.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Yeah I have cleaned everything except that spot very well. Because I didn’t want to scratch up the black chimney taking it apart but now I see that spot will need special attention because of the oven I am sure. But I also bet with a proper chimney brush it would clean that spot from the top.
    I'd invest in a firewood moisture tester to be sure you only burn well seasoned wood. Your stove might be more prone to creosote buildup because of the more complicated gas path. Well seasoned wood will definitely cut down on cleaning frequency, and smokey Christmas Eves. Lol.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Noted proper chimney brush is ordered from Amazon next is moisture meter any that are better than others??

I don’t buy the wood I have stacks and stacks here. Maybe I just need to cover it better? It is split and stacked and off the ground. I’m gonna build those pallet wood sheds like you guys showed on here.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    that is amazing for 30 days of use!
    I stack mine out in the open, no shade, plenty of space between rows for wind and air flow, the top layer bark on top to help shed rain, and then I cover the rows I will use that year in early Sept, with a tarp to keep the October rains off of it, along with snow
    plus at least once a week I crank the stove up to blazing away for a while to help keep it clear

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Noted proper chimney brush is ordered from Amazon next is moisture meter any that are better than others??

I don’t buy the wood I have stacks and stacks here. Maybe I just need to cover it better? It is split and stacked and off the ground. I’m gonna build those pallet wood sheds like you guys showed on here.
    I don't know about meter brands or models. I just ordered one with a healthy number of good ratings.

I don't currently have my firewood covered. It's mostly ash which is on the dry side to start with. After a rain, the stacked wood dries pretty quickly, and I'll bring in a few pieces to sit around the stove to completely re-dry if it's been rained/snowed on. I am planing to build an open sided wood shed, but haven't had to to get to it yet.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    That is a crazy amount of creosote in such a short time .
    I hate weather like we have been having .......it`s hard to have a good Hot fire when it`s this warm without running everyone out or opening up the windows . A small smoldering fire will cause buildup pretty quick .
    I kind of bang on my pipes pretty regularly when I have had a real hot fire just to break up any possible build up that may in there .
    Any particles that do break loose in my setup , pretty much fall straight down where I can access through the firebox .

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I feel it maybe a combo damp wood, restricted gas path, oven making cleaning difficult and collecting crap, smoldering fires because of outside temps, and in general being a novice.

Now that I know the stoves weakness I will be ok. Hopefully mitigating some of the other issues reduces the problem but it is clearly a problem area…. May explain why this one was 4k cheaper than the bun baker xl with the lower oven…. Live and learn.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I feel it maybe a combo damp wood, restricted gas path, oven making cleaning difficult and collecting crap, smoldering fires because of outside temps, and in general being a novice.

Now that I know the stoves weakness I will be ok. Hopefully mitigating some of the other issues reduces the problem but it is clearly a problem area…. May explain why this one was 4k cheaper than the bun baker xl with the lower oven…. Live and learn.
    I strongly suggest you invest in this inexpensive accessory. It will help you reduce the amount of creosote that you produce.
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 132602.jpg

It has a magnet on the backside and you attach it to the chimney pipe just above your stove. Very handy.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I strongly suggest you invest in this inexpensive accessory. It will help you reduce the amount of creosote that you produce.
    View attachment 321559

It has a magnet on the backside and you attach it to the chimney pipe just above your stove. Very handy.
    I actually have 2 on mine . One on the pipe and one flat on the stove . Even though I know how my stove burns , I still rely on these to maintain proper adjustments .
    Mine usually stays around the 550 mark ...........

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I actually have 2 on mine . One on the pipe and one flat on the stove . Even though I know how my stove burns , I still rely on these to maintain proper adjustments .
    Mine usually stays around the 550 mark ...........
    I don't put mine on my stove pipe because it's double wall dvl and wouldn't give you accurate flue temps. I have one on top of the stove and one on the back side of my cast flue outlet because i have room there. And yes, learning your stove is key, and sometimes takes a little while.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Honestly I can’t get a fire to last….. I shut the door because smoke is coming in and the fire goes out

And I had no issues for the previous month
    When you said you has no flue do you mean you run your stove pipe into a brick or block chimney that doesn't have a flue/liner?
    As you stated earlier you need to fix that asap.
    Is it's metal chimney pipe all the way up and out of the house?
    If so have you used a chimney brush to clean it yet? I clean mine every two weeks.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    When you said you has no flue do you mean you run your stove pipe into a brick or block chimney that doesn't have a flue/liner?
    As you stated earlier you need to fix that asap.
    Is it's metal chimney pipe all the way up and out of the house?
    If so have you used a chimney brush to clean it yet? I clean mine every two weeks.
    So I thought the flue was the adjustment on the chimney itself to adjust exhaust side…. I do not have that I only have an air intake adjustment. I believe my terminology is as lacking as my stove skills at this point.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom