• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Any woods left standing in my area are standing because they are too low to be cleared, tiled, and drained for crop land.

You must live up north. Around here in the GSF it's hard to even build ponds because of the karst. We do have the benefit of strong running springs though. oldspringhouse.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Great video as always. You guys need a trailer that can carry 9 foot sections of logs like that. Amish pallet mills are around in different places in the GSF and they pay cash for logs like that.

A tractor would make it easier to load of course.;)
    I have the trailer. I NEED the tractor. We've decided to build a barn (think fancy machinery shed) before I get a tractor. The OG doesn't want it sitting out in the weather.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have the trailer. I NEED the tractor. We've decided to build a barn (think fancy machinery shed) before I get a tractor. The OG doesn't want it sitting out in the weather.

A good idea, I keep mine inside.

No woods work for me today, out checking the east end and looking for sheds.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Cut Saturday, split Sunday. About a cord. Should be enough to keep a fire in the boiler until the end of April.

I already went through all the Goldilocks stuff the tree service dumped so it was all big s**t, 24"+ diameter.

Running the splitter vertical and wrestling those big rounds is murder on my back. Wife always asks if I want help. 9 outta 10 times I say, no. Sunday when she came out and asked I said, yes. I could tell that wasn't the answer she wanted to hear.

I split, she loaded the trailer, hauled it up to the boiler and stacked it for me.

I even managed to NOT criticize her stacking technique.:D

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    I have a small fireplace insert so they need split. Dropped a 34" dia, dead sycamore last summer that gave me a work out I would rather not repeat. To make it worse a lot of it had already turned punky

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Cut Saturday, split Sunday. About a cord. Should be enough to keep a fire in the boiler until the end of April.

I already went through all the Goldilocks stuff the tree service dumped so it was all big s**t, 24"+ diameter.

Running the splitter vertical and wrestling those big rounds is murder on my back. Wife always asks if I want help. 9 outta 10 times I say, no. Sunday when she came out and asked I said, yes. I could tell that wasn't the answer she wanted to hear.

I split, she loaded the trailer, hauled it up to the boiler and stacked it for me.

You need a splitter like mine.. has an engine hoist on it.. sorry no picture right now.. I took the motor off and changing the mount and trying to figure out what is causing an stalling issue. I think it’s in the lower control valve. It won’t move the ram some times. The engine hoist part works fine.. so me thinks it’s time to replace the lower valve. Might ask for some help here on a replacement valve

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You need a splitter like mine.. has an engine hoist on it.. sorry no picture right now.. I took the motor off and changing the mount and trying to figure out what is causing an stalling issue. I think it’s in the lower control valve. It won’t move the ram some times. The engine hoist part works fine.. so me thinks it’s time to replace the lower valve. Might ask for some help here on a replacement valve
    This is what the OG sees in her dreams.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What are you using that firewood for? The length of those pieces is impressive!
    I met an old guy years ago at an auction that was complaining about how low of a price he was getting for his pristine load of perfectly split, seasoned, 16" long cherry.

I told him I have an outdoor boiler, I can't use it. It would take me a half hour to fill her up with tiny pieces like that. He asked what I would be interested in. I told him telephone pole sized cherry logs 48" long. His eyes lit up. He was like, you mean I don't have to split it? I said as long as you can handle them weight wise, I don't need them split. He asked if the outside could be just a little punky. I said no problem. He said he'd bring me a load the following week. If I like it, and like his price, he'd keep on bringing it.

He showed up with a long bed truckload piled higher than the bedsides. I asked what he wanted for it, he said give me $70. I said bring me ALL you have. As we were unloading and stacking I found several 48" long split pieces. He explained those were too heavy in one piece so he split them in half, by hand. I was like, uh, you can saw the extra heavy ones into two 24" long pieces and it'll be ok.

He had a large woods full of dying or dead cherry trees. He wouldn't sell it to his regular customers because the outside 1/2" was a little soft. I burned nothing but that for two seasons.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

The gardener has an answer for me getting to old to lift those logs, she referred me to an article about geriatric exoskeletons that Japan has developed to keep older workers working. I see something like that in my future.. ac4BHcfeAOeh8JSADhm_eDl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBXEejxNn4ZJNZ2ss5Ku7Cxt.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom