• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The gardener has an answer for me getting to old to lift those logs, she referred me to an article about geriatric exoskeletons that Japan has developed to keep older workers working. I see something like that in my future..;)
    My son can hook you up with a European made one...

9532644163614.jpg

Derbster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Lawrenceburg
    Burning what little I have yesterday and today.
    I gotta make more time and a better setup for my wood this coming season. I got a bunch of these big logs last year from a job site. I brought them home and I had a guy tell me they were cotton wood and really aren’t that good to burn. He was pretty much right. It kinda smelled. It’s like a sponge if it gets a little wet. I couldn’t split it with a axe so I had to borrow my neighbor’s splitter. Once it was split and put away for a while I could split it with an axe. It just doesn’t seem to burn that great. Burned most of it while boiling down sap.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

A little tip for cutting logs like that from the top with pressure on it. Get a plastic wedge or cut a wedge out of the wood and install it in the cut as you cut down from the top. It keeps the cut from being able to close up and pinch your bar.

For reference I would have put a wedge in somewhere around 8:33, 11:45, 12:10, 12:35 timestamps of the video. Just an old trick a guy showed me many years ago.

Good work. :thumbsup:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A little tip for cutting logs like that from the top with pressure on it. Get a plastic wedge or cut a wedge out of the wood and install it in the cut as you cut down from the top. It keeps the cut from being able to close up and pinch your bar.

For reference I would have put a wedge in somewhere around 8:33, 11:45, 12:10, 12:35 timestamps of the video. Just an old trick a guy showed me many years ago.

Good work. :thumbsup:
    You see, I knew that. But not running the saw for a long time causes one to forget best practices. (And I may or may not have done that on purpose to demonstrate how to remove the saw from the two logs. :rolleyes: ).

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am getting better but boy I am tired of destroying bars. I don’t even have a wood burner yet but I just can’t let all this wood go to waste. So I’m cutting splitting and stacking. If uncovered how long do you guys think I have to use the split wood?

Attachments

• F7C2DA92-8FE3-44F6-8C3B-F270132974AA.jpeg
      F7C2DA92-8FE3-44F6-8C3B-F270132974AA.jpeg
      835.4 KB · Views: 12

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    depending on the kind I would venture a guess of 5 Years tops. Make sure it gets good airflow
    could also sell some to buy new bars

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    depending on the kind I would venture a guess of 5 Years tops. Make sure it gets good airflow
    could also sell some to buy new bars
    Mostly oak cherry and maple. Some other weird ones mixed in. It is so much work for me with subpar equipment that I don’t know if the amount I could sell it for would motivate me to continue I would get more satisfaction bringing down my home heating bill I think.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom