Not open for further replies.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Cut down about 30 trees today. Saved a few for firewood. Most just got burnt on the spot. Neighbor is clearing a few more acres for the cattle. It was a good day.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    This isn't necessarily firewooding , but here's a log I drug out last year . I took it in and had it sawn into 3 inch slabs . It was roughly 54 inches in diameter and that was about 14 feet above the stump !! I think it was about 68 inches at the base , but it was completely rotten .

Attachments

• IMAG2110.jpg
      IMAG2110.jpg
      451.4 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This isn't necessarily firewooding , but here's a log I drug out last year . I took it in and had it sawn into 3 inch slabs . It was roughly 54 inches in diameter and was about 14 feet above the stump !! I think it was about 68 inches at the base , but it was completely rotten .
    No, not firewooding, but pretty cool none the less. I know there is a whole other industry in the live edge slabs.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    0 this morning. Firewood BURNING season is now in full swing.

Switched from burning cottonwood and silver maple in the boiler over to some red oak. The junk woods will do the job, it just takes a FULL firebox to make it 24 hours between loading. And loading the firebox full takes a good 20 minutes vs 5 to throw a dozen chunks of oak in there.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One of the places I work for does live edge furniture. It's always interesting and looks beautiful when done.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Came home yesterday around 4 to see the overtemp light lit on the outdoor boiler. Never a good feeling, but it's usually just a bad damper door solenoid and I keep 2 on the shelf.

On the way out the back door to check things out, I reached up to touch the pipe that feeds boiler water to my garage furnace. It's just a habit. Do it every time I walk by. It should be too hot to touch, but it was cold.

Overtemp at the boiler and cold inside can only mean one thing, bad pump. Bad pump means no water flow. No water flow means the lines will freeze.

I didn't even go outside. The pump was 12 years old so it dying was not a shock. Sunday night I had noticed a slight change in the pitch of the hum it usually makes. Even took the a peek at it, touched it, but it seemed OK. I should have had a spare, but didn't.

My wife was at work in South Bend so I had less than an hour to track down a replacement. It took 45 minutes. Nobody had the replacement cartridge to repair my pump, back ordered until March 30. Nobody had a trusty Taco-009 pump in stock. But I finally found a comparable Bell and Gossett replacement pump. I didn't even ask how much. It really didn't matter. Just told the guy to throw it on the counter and my wife would pick it up before they closed at 5. When she got home I asked, how much?

Just under $700.:facepalm:

I don't know if the price of bronze has gone through the roof. I don't know if this just another case of, thanks Joe Biden. But a simple Taco-009, bronze circulator pump for a boiler used to run around $200. Now the replacement cartridge is $250 and the pump is over $500. The $700 Bell and Gossett is kinda the Cadillac of circulator pumps but, damn.

riJ45MOl.jpg

At least I got lucky and had it puke on a relatively warm day when my wife was working in town.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom