• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hmmmm, have around 200 to 250 lbs left. Dang if the buckets get heavier, dumped one to count and sep to lesser quantity per. I need a good Bloody Mary to ease my back pain LOL
    Everything gets heavier every year it seems!

I'm hoping this lead keel comes through. If not - I'll still be looking for lead.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Any good plumbing supply house sells lead ingots. As stated up thread wheel weights from a junk yard. It cost them labor hours to remove and sell. Ask them sell price if you take them off.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I'm hoping this lead keel comes through. If not - I'll still be looking for lead.

I looked at getting a keel once, was planning on using a trailer to haul it and a come along to drag it into the trailer. The heaviest single piece of lead I've moved was a large circular counterweight, around 400#. Used a jack to get it vertical and then rolled it into the trailer.

Machined counterweight lead is very hard in my experience, linotype+. It rings when you drop the ingots on concrete.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I looked at getting a keel once, was planning on using a trailer to haul it and a come along to drag it into the trailer. The heaviest single piece of lead I've moved was a large circular counterweight, around 400#. Used a jack to get it vertical and then rolled it into the trailer.

Machined counterweight lead is very hard in my experience, linotype+. It rings when you drop the ingots on concrete.
    Any harm to it being hard so long as it is properly sized?

I did get a NOE Sizing die with bushings from a few thousandths under to a few thousandths over so I can tune my bullets to the gun if I desire.

I will be coating with hi-tek.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Any harm to it being hard so long as it is properly sized?

I did get a NOE Sizing die with bushings from a few thousandths under to a few thousandths over so I can tune my bullets to the gun if I desire.

I will be coating with hi-tek.
    No harm at all. It's still a lead alloy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

I dunno what alloy my dads old stuff is, don't have a hardness tester. Think it ready to cast as is, isn't pure. Got rid of all the chunks of pure when we cleaned out the garage. Wasn't gonna mess around and sort 13 buckets of wheel weights (filled) either. Cut a guy a heck of a deal.

Even w his help loading it in his truck, my back was tweaked for a couple of days.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

At the sailing club we've scrapped like 5 derelict sailboats this year and I didn't think to ask for the lead before it was done and gone. D'oh. Looks like one more to scrap - that's where I'm hoping to get some lead from ;).

Does make me sad to see a sailing vessel torn apart - at some point it was somebody's hopes and dreams.

Lpherr

Occupied
    My grandfather used to cast sinkers, and he used a hatchet or chisel, along with a hammer.
    It worked pretty well, and didn't leave a big mess.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At the sailing club we've scrapped like 5 derelict sailboats this year and I didn't think to ask for the lead before it was done and gone. D'oh. Looks like one more to scrap - that's where I'm hoping to get some lead from ;).

Does make me sad to see a sailing vessel torn apart - at some point it was somebody's hopes and dreams.

That sound slike a lot of boats scrapped for Indiana, but I'll be the first to admit I know little about recreational sailing. I always wondered how much boat scrapping goes on in places after hurricanes.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That sound slike a lot of boats scrapped for Indiana, but I'll be the first to admit I know little about recreational sailing. I always wondered how much boat scrapping goes on in places after hurricanes.
    They’re abandoned boats whose owners refuse to come pick them up / move them / register them. After so long we can scrap them as abandoned.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    Hello!

I’m going down the reloading rabbit hole and I would like to try my hand at casting my own lead bullets.

I have no issues melting and casting it - but honestly I’m not sure where to find it where it’s not expensive to the point to not be worth it.

Most wheel weights these days seem to be zinc / steel.

I’m sure there are sources I’ve not even considered

If you will let me know how much lead you're looking to purchase

Gufnstuf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2022
    Seymour
    Ace hardware carries ingots. Not sure on the price.

Can you only cast your own on the handgun rounds?

What about rifle rounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom