• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The new FBI Glock pistol is a combination of the Gen II grip and the Gen IV backstrap and front rail....great combination as I prefer the smooth Gen II grips but would like a rail for a light on my night stand!

There's a lot of guys out there removing the finger bumps on the Gen III and Gen IV Glock pistols...I see this as potentially being a big hit if/when the new set-up hits the public market.

IMO...9mm has definitely improved over the past 30 years (especially over the past 5-10 years) but, then again, it had no where to go but up!

I agree with a previous post in that the .40 S&W definitely destroyed the 10mm potential in the private market...

Attachments

• Glock FBI Gen V 2016.jpg
      Glock FBI Gen V 2016.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 31
    Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think the real discussion should be why the FBI selected the 9mm as their carry caliber when the military is putting forth efforts to go away from it!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So the FBI joins the SEALS in choosing a Glock 9mm.

It's irrefutable how well modern 9mm defense loads perform, but I'm unsure that the SEALS can use anything but round nose 9mm due to international regulations on armament. So they must have come to that decision based on other factors (simplicity, ease of use, etc...) I wonder how much of the decision is just, "We are able to carry more ammo for less weight"?

I've been carrying a Gen 3 G19 9mm daily for 10 years. With an extra mag, and one in the car, that's 46 rounds. Hard to argue with it.

~Lt
    There is a big difference in preferences for a military pistol vs police. There are different considerations, as are there different considerations for a civilian pistol for daily concealed carry. In the military, the sidearm is a secondary weapon; with the police and civilian, it is usually the first option. One of the considerations for police is how the average cop can group the pistol. The elite military units shoot so much that their average shooter's skill tops the best street cop. The military must also be concerned with (besides regulations) logistics. There is probably more 9mm ammo reaching its destination (half way around the world) than any other caliber. There are many more issues I could site, but this gives you a little idea.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    glock_wife-tfb.jpg

I sense another $15 million horse for the wife in the near future.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's about time we see a major shift away from .40 S&W. After decades of trying to tell people the .40 S&W offers nothing over 9mm and is actually inferior to it in many ways, I feel vindicated that there's a mass shift away from it.

Pffft, you kids and your trends.:D

9mm killed a lot of people at Stalingrad, Verdun, and Cold Harbor.

It's just a pistol round, but since it is what people carry all day it becomes a game of relevant power.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I think the real discussion should be why the FBI selected the 9mm as their carry caliber when the military is putting forth efforts to go away from it!

Because the military is stuck with ball ammo and the FBI isn't?

Next question.
    Exactly, the military has to use ball ammo. The technology boon for 9mm is all JHP, ball ammo is ball ammo and bigger is better in that regard. JHP, bigger is not always better. I feel completely secure carrying my G19 with 16rds of Federal HST 147gr ammo and I do not see our transition as a downgrade. In fact I feel that my move from one ammo to another is linear no better/no worse. However, I will be carrying MORE ammo with less recoil...WIN WIN.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Exactly, the military has to use ball ammo.

Dont think this is a true statement. The US did not sign onto the Hague Convention declaration, thus can use other types. However, the Pentagon has used it as the legal standard to rule out any ammunition other than ball for use in sidearms.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Perhaps due to differences in training, mission, available ammunition, concern with defeating vs bypassing body armor, the types of intermediate barriers likely for each particular organization to face, etc.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The new FBI Glock pistol is a combination of the Gen II grip and the Gen IV backstrap and front rail....great combination as I prefer the smooth Gen II grips but would like a rail for a light on my night stand!

That picture is interesting; where did you find it? It purports to show the "Glock Gen V" but the pictured model is a G22, when the guns the FBI and IMPD are going to are G17s. Also of note are that the texturing or stippling appears to be done after the fact rather than being molded in (assuming it's not a Photoshop job), and the sights are non-factory.

Can any of our IMPD guys who have seen the "17M" confirm that it looks like the photo in Amishman's original post?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Because the military is stuck with ball ammo and the FBI isn't?

Next question.

Exactly, the military has to use ball ammo. The technology boon for 9mm is all JHP, ball ammo is ball ammo and bigger is better in that regard. JHP, bigger is not always better. I feel completely secure carrying my G19 with 16rds of Federal HST 147gr ammo and I do not see our transition as a downgrade. In fact I feel that my move from one ammo to another is linear no better/no worse. However, I will be carrying MORE ammo with less recoil...WIN WIN.

Dont think this is a true statement. The US did not sign onto the Hague Convention declaration, thus can use other types. However, the Pentagon has used it as the legal standard to rule out any ammunition other than ball for use in sidearms.

Nit to get off topic but, The Military can use JHP ammo stateside. In 1999 the USAF started issuing 124 grain JHP for the M9 for Security Forces/Security Police Forces. The Chief AF Security Forces at the time made it happen and was trough AF JAG saying stateside they are performing a Domestic LE duty. However once outside CONUS they revert to the Hague treaty of ball.

After the Fort Hood shooting there was talk of the Army following suite but have not confirmed it. I was involved with the USAF in their transition and even saw JHP issued to Air Guard Security Forces troops.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That picture is interesting; where did you find it? It purports to show the "Glock Gen V" but the pictured model is a G22, when the guns the FBI and IMPD are going to are G17s. Also of note are that the texturing or stippling appears to be done after the fact rather than being molded in (assuming it's not a Photoshop job), and the sights are non-factory.

Can any of our IMPD guys who have seen the "17M" confirm that it looks like the photo in Amishman's original post?

I suspect Photoshop.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

It does not. If they're delivered as promised I'm sure we'll have pics up next week. That is a Gen4 with the finger grooves removed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom