• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I can rest easy. For a while I was worried that Gaston would have to give up his opulent lifestyle and arm candy.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Why do they need a new gun? What is wrong with the old ones. Wasn't that why the 40 S&W was built? They wanted a round that was as strong as the 357 with out all the kick. So they would have a round that was stronger than the 9mm and easer to use than a 45. Now they want the 9mm back? This is just dumb.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Why do they need a new gun? What is wrong with the old ones. Wasn't that why the 40 S&W was built? They wanted a round that was as strong as the 357 with out all the kick. So they would have a round that was stronger than the 9mm and easer to use than a 45. Now they want the 9mm back? This is just dumb.

They have determined that modern 9mm performs as well as 40sw, and it does not have the drawbacks of increased wear on the pistol since Glock just rebarelled 9mm for the 40. Hence, they are going back to 9mm. It's all about money, nothing else.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They have determined that modern 9mm performs as well as 40sw, and it does not have the drawbacks of increased wear on the pistol since Glock just rebarelled 9mm for the 40. Hence, they are going back to 9mm. It's all about money, nothing else.

We're doing the same thing and it has little to do with money. The modern 9mm outperforms the .40 round we've been using for years. Shot placement trumps everything and the 9mm is easier for most people to shoot accurately. Any other benefits are simply gravy.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The effectiveness of modern 9mm ammo has eliminated the gap it used to have against the .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Many 9mm loadings are even superior to the other two. With the ability of average agents/officers to hit a target with more regularity with 9mm, the choice is simple. A lot has changed since the 70's when police first started considering semi-auto pistols as duty weapons.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I think the bigger news is that their new service pistol is 9mm.

It's about time we see a major shift away from .40 S&W. After decades of trying to tell people the .40 S&W offers nothing over 9mm and is actually inferior to it in many ways, I feel vindicated that there's a mass shift away from it.

The Glock? It's a practical choice. I see nothing wrong with the FBI's decision. I only wish they would apologize for foisting the .40 S&W upon us and in the wake of that horrible misstep they inadvertently killed the most promising semi-auto pistol chambering ever -- the 10mm.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    We're doing the same thing and it has little to do with money. The modern 9mm outperforms the .40 round we've been using for years. Shot placement trumps everything and the 9mm is easier for most people to shoot accurately. Any other benefits are simply gravy.

Can you say which ammo you'll be using?

Thanks

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    So the FBI joins the SEALS in choosing a Glock 9mm.

It's irrefutable how well modern 9mm defense loads perform, but I'm unsure that the SEALS can use anything but round nose 9mm due to international regulations on armament. So they must have come to that decision based on other factors (simplicity, ease of use, etc...) I wonder how much of the decision is just, "We are able to carry more ammo for less weight"?

I've been carrying a Gen 3 G19 9mm daily for 10 years. With an extra mag, and one in the car, that's 46 rounds. Hard to argue with it.

~Lt

Top Bottom