• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Picked up som 124g GPHP's from a member, and was looking to load some up. I was thinking starting around 4.2gr Titegroup. Anyone else have experience with Titegroup and these bullets?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    A few loads from the Hornady Reloading manual for the 124gn GDHP:

HS-6: 6.4gn - 6.8gn
    Win 231 4.4gn - 4.8gn
    Titegroup 4.1gn - 4.4gn
    Clays 3.5gn - 3.7gn

Personally, I prefer the Clays. Not International or Universal, just the standard Clays powder. It makes my .45 so sweet to shoot. Love it! And on top of that, its cheaper, and you use less of it, so you stretch your dollar farther.

I just did a test with Titegroup and 9mm GDHP, and I wasn't so happy with the results. I'm sticking to Clays.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    A few loads from the Hornady Reloading manual for the 124gn GDHP:

HS-6: 6.4gn - 6.8gn
    Win 231 4.4gn - 4.8gn
    Titegroup 4.1gn - 4.4gn
    Clays 3.5gn - 3.7gn

Personally, I prefer the Clays. Not International or Universal, just the standard Clays powder. It makes my .45 so sweet to shoot. Love it! And on top of that, its cheaper, and you use less of it, so you stretch your dollar farther.

I just did a test with Titegroup and 9mm GDHP, and I wasn't so happy with the results. I'm sticking to Clays.

Thanks for the tips...might have to pick up a pound of Clays to try.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    The performance of reloads are, of course, very gun dependent, but my experience with Clays powder in 9mm has been less than positive. I love the feel of the recoil of Clays in 9mm... Clays shoots really soft. But the accuracy was below par with three different makes of jacketed bullets I tried (Montana Gold 124 JHP, Zero 124 JHP, Precision Delta 115 FMJ). I think there are better powders for 9mm. I like titegroup and Win 231/HP-38 for 9mm. Of the two, the titegroup will probably feel softer to you, all other variables held equal. Solo 1000 is another good 9mm powder, but so far I haven't been able to work up a load with it that is as accurate as my Win 231/HP-38 loads.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/aszerigan.html

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Deaner is correct, that's what I love about Clays. He is also correct in saying that loads are very gun dependent. My Glock may not like Titegroup (although the recoil was more gentle than factory loads), but my Kimber sure does love Clays. Haven't tried Titegroup in the .45 ACP yet. One of the reasons I bought a few pounds of Titegroup was to cut down on the number of powders I use... Clays, Benchmark and Titegroup. Still working on that. *laughs*

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I like the Vihtavouri N320 for 9mm. It's hard to find and expensive though. As for recoil, I can't really tell the difference with the 9mm as the round doesn't recoil much to begin with. In .45ACP, N320 is on par with Clays (recoil-wise).

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I shoot clays in a glock with storm lake bbl 125gr lead and it works very good
    the clays load works in the 10"ar but not so good in a 5906 S&W
    I also shoot 4.2 gr tightgroup with 124 jhp montana gold bullets
    it is the best over all load works in all the guns I have

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I did a batch w/ Alliant Bullseye that I liked. I'm trying Alliant Power Pistol next.

Don't have my notes here at work, so I wouldn't want to guess at the grains I used.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    years ago i used bullseye for 45acp but it was very dirty they claim the newer stuff is cleaner ???

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm still using a 1lb bottle that I got 10+ years ago. Just recently getting back into reloading. It's not as dirty as some ammo I've shot, but not the cleanest either.

I don't have a problem with cleaning my gun after long range shoots.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have some good plinking loads with 115 and 124 gr FMJ's. Would like to get a JHP load that I can work up to something closer to my self defense ammunition for practice.

That's what I've been doing too. Easier though to work from what velocity you need and find the powder/charge that gets you there.

Top Bottom