• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Once upon a time this meant something.

You, of all people know that's not true. But let's say it was, more people desire to live here than any other place in the world. I can't even imagine what would happen to the "American Identity," if we too all-comers. And if such was the desired idea, of the founders, I doubt they woould have qualified citizenship.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The Romeike family fled Germany because in their home country they would suffer severe penalties for schooling their own children in their own home. Germans still observe Nazi-era laws which forbid any students from avoiding mandatory state youth indoctrination.

The Romeike family fled to the United States in 2010, where they were granted political asylum by a Federal judge. Now, however, the Obama Justice Department is taking issue with the asylum, maintaining that the German government has not violated the family's rights by threatening to confiscate their children.

Every last one of you who oppose the granting of asylum need to read the bolded again, and think long and hard about what that means. This isn't about homeschooling. This is about being able to raise one's children in the manner one deems best, NOT in the manner the state dictates. The choice to raise one's children independent of the state should be inviolate.

Would you feel differently if the family sought asylum for being Christian/Jewish/Muslim because their home country had outlawed it?

EDIT: And then there's this

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Would you feel differently if the family sought asylum for being Christian/Jewish/Muslim because their home country had outlawed it?

I would imagine there are several, here on INGO, that would say the government should not involve itself with any person seeking asylum from a foreign--especially if one was seeking it for religious purposes...seeing how that whole wall of separation is so cut and dried and all.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Why is this an issue? They are German. They are to abide by German law, OR (like Americans), work to change it rather than run away.
    There are many, many countries where home-schooling is illegal. Are we to grant political asylum to every family that wants to home school their children in a nation where it is verboten?

You're right, Kutnupe14....

Those Pilgrims were English - and by Garsh, they should have stayed in England and Holland and changed the King's mind and the laws there.

Those Irish should have sucked it up and fixed their own potato famine, instead of coming here.

The Jews that emigrated here to avoid Hitler's rise in Germany? Oh heck no, they should have stayed in Germany and tried to change things there.

I have a good friend who left Czechoslovakia back when it was behind the iron curtain. I guess he shouldn't have applied for political asylum either.

People have decided to leave America as well, due to persecution or for political disagreement. Guess they shouldn't - that's not within their rights...

There's times that you and I agree, sir. This isn't one of them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You're right, Kutnupe14....

Those Pilgrims were English - and by Garsh, they should have stayed in England and Holland and changed the King's mind and the laws there.

Those Irish should have sucked it up and fixed their own potato famine, instead of coming here.

The Jews that emigrated here to avoid Hitler's rise in Germany? Oh heck no, they should have stayed in Germany and tried to change things there.

I have a good friend who left Czechoslovakia back when it was behind the iron curtain. I guess he shouldn't have applied for political asylum either.

People have decided to leave America as well, due to persecution or for political disagreement. Guess they shouldn't - that's not within their rights...

There's times that you and I agree, sir. This isn't one of them.

Except for those Messicans.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Except for those Messicans.

If they legally apply - and follow the rules, I'm all for them too... And yeah, I have no problem with upping the quotas to handle the demand. The "guest worker" programs in the San Joaquin Valley of California (where I grew up) worked extremely well.

There's a heck of a lot of people that came through Ellis Island and similar areas. These folks (the folks in the OP) apparently did things all legal as well.

I have a problem with folks going ILLEGAL. And with the "wink wink nudge nudge" system that encourages such behavior. People of both parties have been guilty of this from time to time.

In short, I don't have a problem with ANYONE from ANYWHERE - so long as they do it LEGALLY.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If they legally apply - and follow the rules, I'm all for them too... And yeah, I have no problem with upping the quotas to handle the demand. The "guest worker" programs in the San Joaquin Valley of California (where I grew up) worked extremely well.

There's a heck of a lot of people that came through Ellis Island and similar areas. These folks (the folks in the OP) apparently did things all legal as well.

I have a problem with folks going ILLEGAL. And with the "wink wink nudge nudge" system that encourages such behavior. People of both parties have been guilty of this from time to time.

In short, I don't have a problem with ANYONE from ANYWHERE - so long as they do it LEGALLY.

For the most part we're in agreement. It's like a school beer party. You invite 5 knowing 100 will show up. We need to invite 100 and get 100. Neither party is interested in fixing the invitee/attendee issue.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    SWAT-style raid on German homeschool family is a reminder of why the Romeikes deserve asylum in U.S. | Police State USA

In the early morning hours of August 29, 2013, a team of at least 20 German state officials, including social workers, police officers, and special agents descended upon the home of Dirk and Petra Wunderlich to remove by force their 4 children (ages 7-14) in Darmstadt, Germany.

The SWAT-style raid was conducted on the family’s residence because of the Wunderlich’s (pronounced “VOON-der-lish”) continued homeschooling of their children in violation of the German ban on the practice of educating one’s own children in accordance with religious beliefs and beyond the influence of the state-sanctioned curriculum.

Yes, you read that correctly; homeschooling is illegal in Germany, and the Wunderlich’s four children were forcibly taken from them for the crime of homeschooling.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Those poor people and those poor children. If they had been left alone here and not sent back, there is a good chance they would have become respected contributing members to our society. There are still elements of the Third Reich left in Germany.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Those poor people and those poor children. If they had been left alone here and not sent back, there is a good chance they would have become respected contributing members to our society. There are still elements of the Third Reich left in Germany.

While I sympathize with their plight, theyre still German, and belong in Germany. Unless we're going to start passing out citizenship/asylum to every person that's having a "rough go of it," in their native countries (and homeschooling would be at the bottom of my list), I don't see why we should extend the right to live here others.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    While I sympathize with their plight, theyre still German, and belong in Germany. Unless we're going to start passing out citizenship/asylum to every person that's having a "rough go of it," in their native countries (and homeschooling would be at the bottom of my list), I don't see why we should extend the right to live here others.

1. Belong in Germany???????? The same way blacks belong in Africa? Or the Mexicans belong in Mexico?
    2. We are passing out citizenship/asylum to every person that isn't have a rough go it. Why should this be any different?
    3. Homeschooling is not the issue. Freedom is the issue. Not unlike being able to pick this diner and not be forced to eat at that one, or having to walk around back for the acceptable water fountain, or across the street for a state pre-approved restroom facility. Germany specifically prohibits homeschooling for one reason and one reason alone:

The Supreme Court of Germany declared that the purpose of the German ban on homeschooling was to “counteract the development of religious and philosophically motivated parallel societies.”

And then there's this
    A new [the ruling is from 2006, which pre-dates the Romeikes and Wunderlichs) ruling from the European Human Rights Court has affirmed the German nation’s Nazi-era ban on homeschooling, concluding that society has a significant interest in preventing the development of dissent through “separate philosophical convictions.”
    The Strasburg-based court addressed the issue on appeal from a Christian family whose members alleged their human rights to educate their own children according to their own religious beliefs are being violated by the ban.
    The specific case addressed in the opinion involved Fritz and Marianna Konrad, who filed the complaint in 2003 and argued that Germany’s compulsory school attendance endangered their children’s religious upbringing and promotes teaching inconsistent with the family’s Christian faith.
    The court said the Konrads belong to a “Christian community which is strongly attached to the Bible” and rejected public schooling because of the explicit sexual indoctrination programs that the courses there include.
    The German court already had ruled that the parental “wish” to have their children grow up in a home without such influences “could not take priority over compulsory school attendance.” The decision also said the parents do not have an “exclusive” right to lead their children’s education.
    4. Yep, let's just close the borders completely. To anybody and everybody. If you weren't born here, you can't live here, amiright?

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Crossing imaginary lines drawn on maps by politicians... How asinine

The world has gone mad.
    "Rough go of it" indeed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    1. Belong in Germany???????? The same way blacks belong in Africa? Or the Mexicans belong in Mexico?
    2. We are passing out citizenship/asylum to every person that isn't have a rough go it. Why should this be any different?
    3. Homeschooling is not the issue. Freedom is the issue. Not unlike being able to pick this diner and not be forced to eat at that one, or having to walk around back for the acceptable water fountain, or across the street for a state pre-approved restroom facility. Germany specifically prohibits homeschooling for one reason and one reason alone:

And then there's this

4. Yep, let's just close the borders completely. To anybody and everybody. If you weren't born here, you can't live here, amiright?

1. Yours is an appeal to emotion. The people are German nationals, they belong in Germany. If they want to move here, there's a well established process on how to become a citizen and make that happen. These people don't simply get to "jump to the front of the line," because they can't homeschool their children.

2. Yeah, not so much. So groups are more "worthy" than others. I say let them all in, or not at all (and I favor the "not at all")

3. I agree, homeschooling is not the issue, the freedom of these GERMAN nationals is. I DON'T want my country determining what "freedom" is, for other nations/peoples. I'm sure you've been keeping up with current events, and we have a lot of American blood spilt over determining what "freedom" should be for other peoples. I've pretty much had my limit of telling other nations how they should conduct business in their countries. As long as it doesn't affect my, yours, of my countrymen's liberty, you'll have to explain to me why I should care.

4. I would love to close our borders... "to any and everybody," but I have no problem with anybody living here, midgets, clowns, Jews, Gentiles, dark skin, or fair.... but in order for that to happen they need to abide by our laws of entry. And entry should be administered fairly. I don't jive with this asylum nonsense; just because you can play baseball, or can't teach your kids the way you want to, you shouldn't win the "Come to America" lottery.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Crossing imaginary lines drawn on maps by politicians... How asinine

The world has gone mad.
    "Rough go of it" indeed.

As sad as it is, if those "imaginary lines," didn't exist, we'd be in a much worse state of affairs than are currently.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    As sad as it is, if those "imaginary lines," didn't exist, we'd be in a much worse state of affairs than are currently.

If you insist but I'm not taking your word for it.

I'll add this: the death toll from governments could never be match in a million years from your worst fantasy about anarchy.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    1. Yours is an appeal to emotion. The people are German nationals, they belong in Germany. If they want to move here, there's a well established process on how to become a citizen and make that happen. These people don't simply get to "jump to the front of the line," because they can't homeschool their children.

Since when is freedom an emotional appeal?

2. Yeah, not so much. So groups are more "worthy" than others. I say let them all in, or not at all (and I favor the "not at all")
    Why not let them all in?

3. I agree, homeschooling is not the issue, the freedom of these GERMAN nationals is. I DON'T want my country determining what "freedom" is, for other nations/peoples. I'm sure you've been keeping up with current events, and we have a lot of American blood spilt over determining what "freedom" should be for other peoples. I've pretty much had my limit of telling other nations how they should conduct business in their countries. As long as it doesn't affect my, yours, of my countrymen's liberty, you'll have to explain to me why I should care.
    Apparently you don't understand as well as you think you do. We aren't defining freedom for other people. It's already been defined. Whether or not some other nation decides to ignore that may or may not be the issue. But there is only one definition of freedom as far as the human goes. Moreover, our decision to grant asylum (which is a legal process for entry) does not change the politics of any other country. No blood is spilled by opening our doors to those who seek to leave repressive/oppressive regimes that deny freedom. Germany can continue in it's Nazi-era control. And we can continue to let people who don't want to live under than kind of government become productive, law-abiding residents in our country. "Give me your poor....." Does that not hold true anymore?

And just so you understand perfectly, the Romeike case does have the potential to undermine freedom in this country. The basis for the government's argument is that parents do not have the right to determine the educational choices for their children. So MY liberties are being threatened. Do you care now?

4. I would love to close our borders... "to any and everybody," but I have no problem with anybody living here, midgets, clowns, Jews, Gentiles, dark skin, or fair.... but in order for that to happen they need to abide by our laws of entry. And entry should be administered fairly. I don't jive with this asylum nonsense; just because you can play baseball, or can't teach your kids the way you want to, you shouldn't win the "Come to America" lottery.
    How very "separate but equal" of you. What violation of someone's freedom would qualify for asylum in your eyes?

Top Bottom