• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Romeike family fled Germany because in their home country they would suffer severe penalties for schooling their own children in their own home. Germans still observe Nazi-era laws which forbid any students from avoiding mandatory state youth indoctrination.

The Romeike family fled to the United States in 2010, where they were granted political asylum by a Federal judge. Now, however, the Obama Justice Department is taking issue with the asylum, maintaining that the German government has not violated the family's rights by threatening to confiscate their children.

German homeschoolers fight for asylum in US | Al Jazeera

http://video.foxnews.com/v/22095248...-for-homeschooling/?playlist_id=1484128321001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNAck0_yMCU

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    These folks gave up their home country so they could raise their own children.

Most of us won't even sacrifice that second SUV or annual vacation so that we can afford to do the same.

Puts things in perspective a bit, doesn't it?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Most of us won't even sacrifice that second SUV or annual vacation so that we can afford to do the same.

It does, and it makes me sad for this country and ashamed for allowing my kids to go to public school. There is so much more I could have done, maybe, to have kept that from happening.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why is this an issue? They are German. They are to abide by German law, OR (like Americans), work to change it rather than run away.
    There are many, many countries where home-schooling is illegal. Are we to grant political asylum to every family that wants to home school their children in a nation where it is verboten?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Why is this an issue? They are German. They are to abide by German law, OR (like Americans), work to change it rather than run away.
    There are many, many countries where home-schooling is illegal. Are we to grant political asylum to every family that wants to home school their children in a nation where it is verboten?
    Freedom maybe, or is that only for some?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The Reichstag was out of business long before 1938. The Enabling Act was passed in 1934, which made Hitler a one man gang. The Nazis laws were removed from Germany following the war. The reason we pursued unconditional surrender was to make sure there was a change of regime and things changed. Whatever sucks about Germany now is not because of Nazi holdover.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

The issue for me is the changing of the decision after thy are here. They were allowed to move here, so thy should now be allowed to stay.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The issue for me is the changing of the decision after thy are here. They were allowed to move here, so thy should now be allowed to stay.

I understand that point. This is a test case for something that hasn't been addressed before. In light of that, I can understand if this family is allowed to stay. But if the courts rules that this should not have happened, I would expect, that there would be no other incursions.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

They didn't "give up" anything. This is a carefully orchestrated event by the HSDLA, particularly the decision to choose one the most liberal immigration judges in the country in Memphis, TN. This isn't a mundane asylum case.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

They weren't allowed to come here. They came as tourists then filed for asylum. The HSDLA targets Germany because its one of 37 countries to participate in the visa sharing program.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

YES.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Once upon a time this meant something.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

I would have a couple kids and trade them for a FIRST SUV or annual vacation.

Chances of a blonde haired, blue eyed baby aren't good.

Top Bottom