Not open for further replies.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Has this been posted yet?

LINK: Teen's family sues Stamford police for wrongful arrest - StamfordAdvocate

Family Sues Police After Arrest of 14-Year-Old With Fake Gun - PoliceLink

If not, I'll say this:
    Why continue with the arrest once the officers learned of the airsoft guns? Will LE EVER admit it is wrong and simply apologize when it IS wrong? Or, like this waste-of-tax-payer-dollars arrest, false arrest for that matter, when the truth is learned ... why no just take a step back and apologize and be a real man? Having a badge does not always make one right. Not having a badge does not always make one right as well.

The Stamford Advocate via YellowBrix
    March 02, 2010

STAMFORD — Two city police officers are accused in a lawsuit of wrongfully arresting a 14-year-old boy during an incident two years ago in which police said the teenager was playing with fake guns.
    The lawsuit, filed last month in state Superior Court in Stamford, alleges that Stamford police officers David Sileo and Edward Davis wrongfully arrested the boy in November 2008, charging him with breach of peace and carrying a facsimile firearm. The complaint argues that the teenager committed no crime and that the officers lacked probable cause to arrest him.
    The boy’s family is suing the city and Police Department for more than $15,000.
    Court documents accuse the police of violating the fourth and 14th amendments of the U.S. Constitution when they responded to a Lindstrom Road home where Blair Cassell, the 14-year-old named in the lawsuit, and friends were shooting Airsoft guns at soda cans Nov. 11, 2008. Those amendments establish the foundations for probable cause and due process.
    It is unclear from court records how police were summoned to the home, but according to the complaint, they responded with several police cruisers and surrounded the home with weapons drawn. The lawsuit claims police officers told the family a caller reported seeing an armed man wearing camouflaged shorts and carrying a rifle on Lindstrom Road. The city has yet to file an answer to the complaint.
    The Airsoft guns, which according to the complaint had orange tips covering the muzzles, were left on the house’s porch, and Cassell and his friends were inside when police arrived. The lawsuit says the officers forced the unarmed youths to crawl toward police and then arrested them after discovering the Airsoft guns were “toys.” It also accuses the officers of failing to read them their Miranda rights and being verbally abusive toward the teen’s parents.
    Steve Duke, a professor at Yale Law School in New Haven, said many unknown factors have a bearing on establishing probable cause in the case. Neighbors may have complained of people shooting guns, or the teens themselves may have admitted to police that they owned and had possessed the guns.
    “There are endless possibilities that could strengthen or weaken the case of either side,” Duke said. “One can hardly know the truth based upon allegations in a complaint.”
    The lawsuit also claims one of the officers libeled the 14-year-old by sending his high school a note that said the youth was charged with felony offenses, causing him to be suspended for 10 days. His charges were misdemeanors, not felonies. Both the criminal charges and note to the high school, called a student felony referral, were eventually withdrawn, the lawsuit says.
    Stamford police Chief Robert Nivakoff said he could not comment on the specifics of ongoing litigation, but he said he believes the department would prevail in the lawsuit.
    Officials from the city’s legal department did not respond to phone calls seeking comment on the lawsuit. The family involved in the suit referred questions to their attorney, Toby Schaffer, of Shapiro & Siegel in Stamford, but Schaffer was on leave and not available for comment.

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    This is NOT a LE 'thread bash'. I posted this b/c airsoft seems to be a issue lately (reference the bootthugATF crowd 'seizing' 30 Airsoft rifles) and common sense seems to have fallen by the way side concerning airsoft guns.

The other reason: why is it SO hard for 'men' to apologize, turn off the flashing lights, put the guns away and drive away after everything has been smoothed over?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This is NOT a LE 'thread bash'. I posted this b/c airsoft seems to be a issue lately (reference the bootthugATF crowd 'seizing' 30 Airsoft rifles) and common sense seems to have fallen by the way side concerning airsoft guns.

The other reason: why is it SO hard for 'men' to apologize, turn off the flashing lights, put the guns away and drive away after everything has been smoothed over?
    depo-testosterone_200_mg_ml.jpg
    ???

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

Well, so far I see just one side of the story (the plaintiff's), I tend to reserve judgment until after I see what the other side has to say (Lord knows the media would never "sensationalize" something). It will be interesting to read it after it gets settled one way or the other.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Well, so far I see just one side of the story (the plaintiff's), I tend to reserve judgment until after I see what the other side has to say (Lord knows the media would never "sensationalize" something). It will be interesting to read it after it gets settled one way or the other.

I agree I would also like to learn more facts about the case.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    "charging him with breach of peace and carrying a facsimile firearm"

For the boy to be charged with these they must already be laws on the books. The officers did not make up charges on the fly, apparently they felt these crimes had been committed when they were called to the scene. Probable cause can be a fine line and a judge will determine whether it existed at the time of the arrest. There is far from enough information in the story to make an informed decision and determine who was wrong.

If the kids were shooting at neighbors windows or pets, jumping out and pointing the guns at passing cars or something to that effect I would say they would likely be guilty of the offenses. If they were staying on their own property and shooting at eachother then probably not. We do not know at this point.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Will LE EVER admit it is wrong and simply apologize when it IS wrong? Or, like this waste-of-tax-payer-dollars arrest, false arrest for that matter, when the truth is learned ... why no just take a step back and apologize and be a real man? Having a badge does not always make one right. Not having a badge does not always make one right as well.

Have you ever heard a cop admit he or she was wrong unless they were forced to do it?? I havent and probly never will. Thankfully some courts are now starting to bring cops high and mighty attitudes back down to earth. As long as people keep kissing their a** and calling them sir and acting scared towards the police then the police will continue to take full advantage of it. they are civil servants, they arent a judge. they need to be nice to the civilians they serve FIRST, then they will be treated back accordingly with respect that was earned. Some police officers are great and truely wanna help and are concerned, but many others are just young guns with a chip on their shoulder and some are old ones who will never change until their wrinkled old men with no badge anymore. and no REAL friends.

people think that just because a cop ask them or tells them to do something that well it must be legal so i will answer or let them do it. HECK NO PEOPLE!!! learn your rights. If you let them they will trick you into giving them up. Dont even if you have nothing to hide, its none of their business. you dont have to tell them where youve been or let them search your car. they are just fishing for more ways to arrest you and make a name.

GO LOOK FOR THUG MURDERERS AND HOOKERS OR SOMETHING, and leave innocent people alone. IF YOU CANT FIND THEM on the street THEN WALK INTO A WALMART!! OR CHUCKIE CHEESE!!! :)

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    "charging him with breach of peace and carrying a facsimile firearm"

For the boy to be charged with these they must already be laws on the books. The officers did not make up charges on the fly, apparently they felt these crimes had been committed when they were called to the scene. Probable cause can be a fine line and a judge will determine whether it existed at the time of the arrest. There is far from enough information in the story to make an informed decision and determine who was wrong.

If the kids were shooting at neighbors windows or pets, jumping out and pointing the guns at passing cars or something to that effect I would say they would likely be guilty of the offenses. If they were staying on their own property and shooting at eachother then probably not. We do not know at this point.

Good God my Brother and I are criminals and should have been thrown under the jail years ago...

What happened to us that kids can not play with Facsimile firearms?! :dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Good God my Brother and I are criminals and should have been thrown under the jail years ago...

What happened to us that kids can not play with Facsimile firearms?! :dunno:

How you got that from my post I haven't a clue.

When I was a kid I got into plenty of trouble with bb guns. Fortunately for my sake when I was a kid practically any responsible adult would have done what was necessary to make sure I stopped what I was doing. Whether that was swatting my butt or dragging me to my parents for them to do it. Unfortunately in our society today that is no longer accepted and everyone believes their child is an angel and God help the S.O.B. who says otherwise. The world would come crashing to an end if someone who didn't know the child took him/her by the arm and walked them to their house to tell their parents what they were doing. You touched my child OMG!!! Where is my gun?!?!?!?!

So what is left? People call the cops for the most mundane, stupid crap imaginable and the ones who called are expecting them to do something. The officers showed up when called and took action.

-Were the officers in the right? I don't know.

-Could it have been handled differently? Probably.

-What happened which made the officers decide to arrest the kid? Again, I don't know.

-I can tell you that barring an attempted robbery using the airsoft guns or a disrespectful and/or beligerent attitude from the boy I would not have made an arrest in this situation but I wasn't there.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    How you got that from my post I haven't a clue.

When I was a kid I got into plenty of trouble with bb guns. Fortunately for my sake when I was a kid practically any responsible adult would have done what was necessary to make sure I stopped what I was doing. Whether that was swatting my butt or dragging me to my parents for them to do it. Unfortunately in our society today that is no longer accepted and everyone believes their child is an angel and God help the S.O.B. who says otherwise. The world would come crashing to an end if someone who didn't know the child took him/her by the arm and walked them to their house to tell their parents what they were doing. You touched my child OMG!!! Where is my gun?!?!?!?!

So what is left? People call the cops for the most mundane, stupid crap imaginable and the ones who called are expecting them to do something. The officers showed up when called and took action.

-Were the officers in the right? I don't know.

-Could it have been handled differently? Probably.

-What happened which made the officers decide to arrest the kid? Again, I don't know.

-I can tell you that barring an attempted robbery using the airsoft guns or a disrespectful and/or beligerent attitude from the boy I would not have made an arrest in this situation but I wasn't there.

I couldnt agree with you more!!! pretty sad that if you PROPERLY (not abusingly) spank your child, you might have someone call CPS on you. that is rediculous!! a lot of adults and their kids just run free and act like morons. id like to spank some parents

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Have you ever heard a cop admit he or she was wrong unless they were forced to do it?? I havent and probly never will. Thankfully some courts are now starting to bring cops high and mighty attitudes back down to earth. As long as people keep kissing their a** and calling them sir and acting scared towards the police then the police will continue to take full advantage of it. they are civil servants, they arent a judge. they need to be nice to the civilians they serve FIRST, then they will be treated back accordingly with respect that was earned. Some police officers are great and truely wanna help and are concerned, but many others are just young guns with a chip on their shoulder and some are old ones who will never change until their wrinkled old men with no badge anymore. and no REAL friends.

people think that just because a cop ask them or tells them to do something that well it must be legal so i will answer or let them do it. HECK NO PEOPLE!!! learn your rights. If you let them they will trick you into giving them up. Dont even if you have nothing to hide, its none of their business. you dont have to tell them where youve been or let them search your car. they are just fishing for more ways to arrest you and make a name.

GO LOOK FOR THUG MURDERERS AND HOOKERS OR SOMETHING, and leave innocent people alone. IF YOU CANT FIND THEM on the street THEN WALK INTO A WALMART!! OR CHUCKIE CHEESE!!! :)

I tried to rep (have to spread it around :):). Most civilians even know where the real crime is taking place, I agree.

Revenue, revenue and more revenue equals more toys in most cases.

This case is just odd. After they learned that the guns were toys, they STILL booked em'. I do wonder what the real story is and why the courts hate toy guns in that county... :dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ah, we all know there's no such things as cop quotas. No department would ever do anything like that. Except, maybe in Detroit. And, maybe, just maybe in New York. But, seriously, outside of those two departments, I am certain it never happens. Maybe they're just "productivity goals"? :): And what about New Mexico? Surely Google wouldn't turn up anything like these elsewhere....'cause they don't exist.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom