• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So, the "dark web" is a real thing. Huh. I thought that only existed on NCIS ...

Any way to confirm this is a hack? It would explain FB being down, likely deliberately pulled the plug to sever the hackers access.
    Hack is 100% rumor until proven otherwise. Might be true, might be BS. As far as pulling the plug, WSJ is not reporting it as a way to combat a hack. WSJ is not perfect but their reporting is usually pretty solid.
    LxkbsIO.png

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So some programmer for Facebook probably put a zero where a one should have been, and to some the world came to an end. But amazingly, Facebook and their attachments went down, but the world continued. Glad I am one of those who doesn't take Facebook as anything more than a free amusement theme park.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So some programmer for Facebook probably put a zero where a one should have been, and to some the world came to an end. But amazingly, Facebook and their attachments went down, but the world continued. Glad I am one of those who doesn't take Facebook as anything more than a free amusement theme park.

I'd heard rumor that something to do with routing was wiped out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Looks like the password thing, is a thing. Maybe coincidental, probably not. I'm changing passwords (and adding MFA when possible, just in case)

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I changed mine yesterday, then in the evening when it came back up, my old password was needed. So I assume they loaded a back up.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Looks like the password thing, is a thing. Maybe coincidental, probably not. I'm changing passwords (and adding MFA when possible, just in case)

Details, the devil is always in the details...

This data has been obtained by "scraping" rather than hacking, according to the post itself. Scraping is a process whereby bots crawl the internet looking for information and simply correlates, classifies and organizes it. This means that no hacking is necessary.

This latest data treasure trove supposedly being sold on the darkweb is from SCRAPING, which is basically downloading everything publicly available from a website.

I used to do that regularly back in the 90's over dial-up. Was the easiest way to gather a bunch of information, say survival/military manuals from somewhere. You could set your program to do deep dives into every link from a website, and pace the downloads so you didn't kill your bandwidth completely.

P.S. - NOTE my post #27 - from Krebs on Security "Madory said at approximately 11:39 a.m. ET today (15:39 UTC), someone at Facebook caused an update to be made to the company’s Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) records." I'd hate to be whatever DevOps person did that. I doubt, "ooopps my bad, I didn't mean to reset it" is going to fly with the board of directors, well depending on the seniority and intersectionality of the person involved.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Facebook might have contractors doing the router updates and changes. If so that contractor is most likely in hot water I doubt it was a true FAKEbook employee. They are big enough to have that person updating router tables as an employee who knows.

I was told even the access control for the server area doors was not working.

Top Bottom