• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thank you, I really like my Hamilton's! The watch thread on here is actually responsible for this one. Definitely not cheap but the grey market is great for Hamilton's , you could probably snag one for $1,200~. Either getting a HK SP5 or a Seamster to celebrate the most recent major promotion :abused:

fzsPXc6.jpg

If you like a plain dial the "Murph" is also another excellent Hamilton and in the 42mm case size like the Khaki "Jack Ryan"
    I'm much too cheap to drop 1200 on a watch. That said my boss told me more than likely next year I'm getting a pretty sweet promotion. So maybe I'll be less cheap then.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I'm much too cheap to drop 1200 on a watch. That said my boss told me more than likely next year I'm getting a pretty sweet promotion. So maybe I'll be less cheap then.

Do it if you have always wanted a nicer watch is my recommendation. I cannot say I wear mine much (usually wear my smart watch at work) but I really enjoy them when I have occasion to wear a nice watch.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Very few of my knives are under $50 most over $150. Some worth $3k. I work commercial construction. I carry tools to be a screw driver and a pry bar. But I dont take knives over $400 to work. Because of the sheer dirtyness I get in too.

If you find your self constantly breaking your knife. You need to carry a different tool, your bringing the wrong one for the job.

But everything is a hammer.

FtWayneGeek260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a leatherman Charge Ti at work, and either a CRKT or a cheapie SOG. On the weekends I have a leatherman Skeletool I’ve used for the screwdriver more than anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Life’s too short/valuable to use cheap stuff? That’s my TL;DR answer.

I was burned a few times in my youth by using cheap/crap gear/tools. In some applications you can get by just fine with a cheaper option. In others, you can’t. In my case, I find my happy medium and tend to run with it for most uses. I usually carry a G48 or a G19 with some basic alterations to suit my preferences. I usually carry a Spyderco or Benchmade of one flavor or another, because while they cost somewhere around $80-120 for the models I have, they also hold and edge well, take and edge well, and they’re robust/reliable with a solid locking system. I do carry a Surefire E2DL because the damn thing just flat works and gives me options for lumen output (admin work/defensive or longer sight lines).

But once in awhile, I like to break out the LTT Elite RDO and my Spyderco Gayle Bradley and enjoyer the finer things in life. Ain’t nothing wrong with that, IMO!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Years ago I worked at Jeffboat in southern Indiana, a guy asked to use my knife, so I handed it over, looked over at him and he was using to turn a screw… I quickly grabbed it back and said get a screwdriver… after that I bought a Gerber multi-tool, I never loan a knife out, I’ll loan them my $70 multi tool, before my knife….even cheapo knives….

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Something I read in a book once: Smart, experienced wreck divers carry cheap dive knives, so that if it gets away from them and drops into the abyss, they won't get themselves killed trying to go after it because it's a fancy knife.

Don't EDC anything you'd do stupid things to avoid losing.
    Lost my Kershaw somewhere in the woods in West Virginia.

Bought a Bugout to replace it.

I'm bad at following my advice.

Beastmodeski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    Bloomington
    To each their own, I lean with the nicest I can afford, hate to say it but love my spyderco para 3, and a Victorinox multi, my most used edc combo. I’ll throw in a cheap knife if I’m on location and know I might beat it up. I do like the higher quality steels, just can be a pain sharpening them.

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    Carried a Benchmade for years and six months ago bought an Ultratech. Bronze blade and a glass breaker. When it gets deployed it’s an attention grabber, but it’s been back to the manufacturer twice for operational issues. Not impressed for a $325 knife.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I see more often than not people carrying knives that are $50+ and i don’t understand it. They get broken, lost, dull etc. I used to carry a buck 110 but got tired of sharpening it and breaking the tip. Picked up a folding utility blade knife and haven’t looked back. I get my blades free from work, pop a new one in when it needs it and thats that.

I do have a leatherman Wingman on my that has a good sharp blade on it but i dont think ive ever used it for the blade lol. I’m not hating or judging, just curious. I appreciate a nice knife just wouldn’t want to edc anything nice.
    It all depends on the material of your knife is made from. I bought once 40$ knife with AUS-8 steel, Japanese, That knife did not need being sharpened for 2 years straight

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I have been carrying the same Benchmade auto for almost 20 years. It has been rebuilt a couple of times, but I use it every day to cut wires and hoses, open boxes, pry out fuses, etc, working on cars. I'm well past getting my moneys worth out of it. I've been thinking about replacing it with something newer, and it won't be a cheap knife either. I long ago learned the value of buying quality tools.

Top Bottom