• ...and so much more!
  • Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I see more often than not people carrying knives that are $50+ and i don’t understand it. They get broken, lost, dull etc. I used to carry a buck 110 but got tired of sharpening it and breaking the tip. Picked up a folding utility blade knife and haven’t looked back. I get my blades free from work, pop a new one in when it needs it and thats that.

I do have a leatherman Wingman on my that has a good sharp blade on it but i dont think ive ever used it for the blade lol. I’m not hating or judging, just curious. I appreciate a nice knife just wouldn’t want to edc anything nice.

Last edited:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I love a nice knife as any other, but i have a bad habit of using them like a screw driver. So i only carry cheap stuff found at rummage sales...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I’ve learned that the biggest issue I have with pocket knives are the belt clips and screws in general. I haven’t broken a blade before, but I’ve had the belt clip get loose and floppy, or the screws that hold the whole thing together loosen up. I just threw a cheapo folder in my bag I keep in my work truck, I don’t want to spend $100 on a good knife and have the same issues.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I'm rough on knives. I've EDC'd Benchmades and Spydercos and have broke them all, no fault of the knife, I'm just rough on 'em.
    Now days, I try to keep my EDC knives under $50. It must have decent steel, a pocket clip and one handed opening. I have several that fit that criteria, but find my preference to be the Ontario Rat1. ($40ish)
    My Buck 112s only come out on the rare occasion I dress up and are highly unlikely to see any real use.
    I'm happy that we have all these options with knives and how easily available they are these days, that wasn't the "Case" 40 years ago...............pun intended, lol.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I use a poket knife quite a bit for just odd and end things. 99% of the time it's for cutting. Even the cheaper knives I have stay in good shape. I just don't use them for things they're not intended for. I need something lightweight for work cause I wear scrubs so I have a spyderco bird robyn 2. I just touch up the edge every now and again with 2000 grit and it's sharp enough again to shave my arm hair. My off days I carry a Spyderco PM2 Maxamet. Bought it on sale a couple years ago from the 2nds sale for $79

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I see more often than not people carrying knives that are $50+ and i don’t understand it.

I wouldn't call a $50 knife expensive. You're still in pretty sketchy knife territory there (although that's changing when you consider Civivi, WE, Kizer, and some other chinese brands that are making some decent inexpensive knives). I personally don't see why anyone would opt to carry junk with them over something nice and useful.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a handmade titanium and cobalt alloy knife I EDC sometimes. It's $2K. I only use my knives to cut flesh as in self defense. I have sharpened knives for coworkers whilst I was on the clock as they used them in their daily skilled trade use. I've gotten some horrible looking knives. If they wanna treat their blades as screwdrivers, prybar, chisel, etc so be it. They don't have my mindset. It's all about justification of why I EDC my knife.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I guess it's a question of what your intended use is, and how much disposable cash you've got. (I'm always short on the latter.) I carry one of those dinky swiss army knives (the ones that get lost in my pocket of change etc.) to abuse with little stuff. I put a lot of thought into others, looking for a balance of: cheap, durable, sharp, and 'feels right'.

Papa always said "Never carry a knife that you'll hesitate to throw off of a bridge." I never understood what he meant. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just ordered another one of these. I broke the tip of my current one (stupid stunt on my part). I've been really happy with it though. Heavy, smooth flipper, $29.85 shipped.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Easy solution is to carry 2 knives.

I am a big fan of Swiss Army Knives or other multi tools. They work great as improvised screw drivers and for prying, digging or cutting. I also appreciate knives that aren’t meant for cutting but rather for things that need to be cut.

Top Bottom