• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is an initial cost for the equipment, but that used to be recovered rather quickly if one shot a lot. The shortage of primers brought on by the same forces as the shortage of ammo kind of changed the dynamic. If you were well-stocked before the panic, then yeah, you could brag about your cpr, but if you got started in the middle or even now, that might not be the case.

The main reason I reload now (although it's been awhile) is because of the oddball milsurp calibers I have.

As for "labor"... well that's just sweat equity. ;)
    Agreed, I meant to include recent economics as well. And the labor is really opportunity cost in this equation.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Do you know how or why it is so tricky?
    I don't load for it, but I'm curious what makes it difficult.
    As I understand it, one problem with it is that the FN 5.7's delayed blowback action was a bit sensitive to pressure variation and could unlock prematurely if the ammo was loaded a just a bit above standard. I'm not sure if this is still as much of an issue with the newer designs, especially the S&W.

The other problem is that the FN cases were coated in proprietary coating to help them feed in PS90s which would wear off if tumbled to clean and potentially cause feeding problems. It also could wear off from sizing and prevent proper sizing, potentially preventing the case from going fully into battery. Cases from most other brands are not coated now so that is probably not as much of a problem any more either.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    In the current market, prices and availability of ammo are improving. However, due to the cost of primers, commercial 9MM is about as inexpensive as reloading. Never mind the initial investment for reloading equipment! If you're not a very high-volume shooter, just buy ammo. You've gotta' load a crap-ton of ammo to make up the difference.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    However, due to the cost of primers, commercial 9MM is about as inexpensive as reloading. Never mind the initial investment for reloading equipment! If you're not a very high-volume shooter, just buy ammo. You've gotta' load a crap-ton of ammo to make up the difference.
    This is where I am.

I have a single-stage press and some dies that I was given. I MAY have a squeeze priming tool dealio.

But to get the REST of the equipment would still be a heck of an investment.

tge45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Allen CO
    You'll enjoy this M&P. This pistol lured me back into the 5.7 caliber. Great shooter and functions with any ammo and runs without issue suppressed. Fiocchi ammo is reasonable for 5.7 and their subsonic runs fine in the Smith.

Top Bottom