• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    First off this question makes my head hurt, sorry I’m dragging y’all into it!

If I were to buy a used encore or contender frame from a dealer that cannot tell me if it was used as a pistol or rifle/wasn’t sure how it left the factory…could that frame be used as a pistol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    First off this question makes my head hurt, sorry I’m dragging y’all into it!

If I were to buy a used encore or contender frame from a dealer that cannot tell me if it was used as a pistol or rifle/wasn’t sure how it left the factory…could that frame be used as a pistol?

If I remember correctly this actually went to the Supreme Court back in the day. You used to be able to contact TC to get a copy of the ruling.

I think it was ruled that as long as you didn't put a barrel shorter than 16" on a receiver with the stock you could use it either or.

Basically you could possess the components but it doesn't become a short barreled rifle until you assemble it in that manner.

Maybe you can still reach out to TC for advice.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tagging for interest. My understanding is if it was transferred as a rifle, its always a rifle.
    If it was transferred as a frame only, or as a pistol, you can convert it to a rifle and back at will. And the TC case is what solidified this part.

Which of course makes zero common sense in the era of modular firearms like TCs and ARs. But thats federal law for you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The SCOTUS deal was about the carbine kit. You can make a handgun into a rifle, but cannot make a rifle into a handgun ( without proper paper work ). The gov argued that once the kit was used it was a rifle and had to stay that way. They also argued that the kits were a pathway to illegal SBR.

The BATF lost their case.

You can take your contender or encore frame and make it a handgun or rifle and back and forth. As long as you dont step in NFA territory during the process.

Because TC classified them as handguns from the start.

Since it can be made into a handgun, i believe even rifle versions have to be sold to folks over 21.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Its not hard to find the ruling on the web.
    Ignore the fudd sites and youll get the proper info.
    And Im not gonna do a quick look and post a link.

How many bad guys are robbing banks or blasting others on tbe street w a Contender/ Encore?

IIRC even Justice Scalia made a comment about that.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I had talked to a LEO at a gun show , he stopped at my table and we were just talking regular topics.And I asked him about that.He said if he would of stopped me for some reason , as long as I was not doing anything wrong , he wouldnt even question the configuration of gun. The same was said about me putting a forward grip on my ruger 22/45 tactical . He said if I wasnt doing anything stupid he wouldnt care and wouldnt question it.

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    Does this frame have a butt stock on it?
    If its a bare frame,have them register it as '' OTHER"

It was a general question - was not taking about a specific frame. For planning what frame I would buy.

But now with the info above I’m thinking in a different direction, I already have a pro hunter muzzleloader. Guess I won’t need another frame.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The SCOTUS deal was about the carbine kit. You can make a handgun into a rifle, but cannot make a rifle into a handgun ( without proper paper work ). The gov argued that once the kit was used it was a rifle and had to stay that way. They also argued that the kits were a pathway to illegal SBR.

The BATF lost their case.

You can take your contender or encore frame and make it a handgun or rifle and back and forth. As long as you dont step in NFA territory during the process.

Because TC classified them as handguns from the start.

Since it can be made into a handgun, i believe even rifle versions have to be sold to folks over 21.
    Old Poppy teached you well.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I had talked to a LEO at a gun show , he stopped at my table and we were just talking regular topics.And I asked him about that.He said if he would of stopped me for some reason , as long as I was not doing anything wrong , he wouldnt even question the configuration of gun. The same was said about me putting a forward grip on my ruger 22/45 tactical . He said if I wasnt doing anything stupid he wouldnt care and wouldnt question it.
    Food for thought.
    Ever notice you dont see the front handstrap and foldable buttstock on a open bolt semi auto Ingram like the fill autos have?

The pic shows the groove machined into the barrel where the front strap mounts.
    Notice the second pic the holes where the wire stock mounts in the reciever are not finished.
    Front strap on a handgun = nfa
    Buttstock on a handgun = nfa

20221024_163923.jpg

20221024_164043.jpg

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    I emailed TC before I posted this. Just got a response:

“that is between you and your local laws or state laws.”