2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    From my service in the Army.

1. A dirty bomb (conventional explosives used to blow radioactive material into the atmosphere) does not produce an Electro Magnetic Pulse. An EMP is produced by a nuclear explosion (fission or fusion of nuclear materials).

2. We were taught that an EMP ONLY affected electronic devices ie. computers or transistor type radios. Our AN PRC 77 radios would be worthless. Basically the entire US powergrid is electronic.
    A car with a computer would quit.

3. EMP does not affect electrical devices. Tube radios like the soviets used to carry would be fine.

4 we were told that electronic devices that were not turned on would not be destroyed. Don't jump up and down for joy just yet. Practically everything you own that is electronic NEVER SHUTS DOWN. the only way to protect them from an EMP is to unplug them or on the case of a car is to disconnect the battery,

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    4 we were told that electronic devices that were not turned on would not be destroyed. Don't jump up and down for joy just yet. Practically everything you own that is electronic NEVER SHUTS DOWN. the only way to protect them from an EMP is to unplug them or on the case of a car is to disconnect the battery,
    So you are saying that my motorcycle (2001 GSXR) that I installed a hidden battery disconnect switch for an added security device will also allow it to run after an EMP as long as it the bike was off and disconnect engaged when the EMP hit?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So you are saying that my motorcycle (2001 GSXR) that I installed a hidden battery disconnect switch for an added security device will also allow it to run after an EMP as long as it the bike was off and disconnect engaged when the EMP hit?

Even if the Bike is running and you were in an EMP Event chances are rather high that the Bike will suffer little to no damage. You on the other hand will probably die soon enough though...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If the bike has computerizes fuel injection like modern cars the bike and it is running or just on stay alive memory and is not damaged by the blast it will make a lovely paper weight.

If it is not electronic it will still run.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    It would seem that for a car/truck with electronic ignition worst case whats needed is a computer module stashed. Or however modules is in yours. Its NOT going to fry relays, solinoids, switches and pumps. I have considered buying the two modules my Dakota would need from a junkyard and storing them suitably. But thats low on the list of things to worry about first.

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I have an 84 CUCV M1009...pretty much a diesel Blazer. It is a non-turbo diesel with full mechanical fuel injection. All the electronics, and there aren't many, are supposed to be hardened or bypassed. I had both alternators rebuilt and the tech. said that the alternator is built to be totally EMP proof. Not sure exactly how he explained it...not so much of a buff on that stuff! I bought mine with 16,000 miles and no/very little rust for $4500. Not only one of the very best values on the road, but a great BOV/EMP proof truck. On an ending note, the trucks were designed under the Cold war scare and EMP was a great concern, obviously. That, combined with the solid build and absolute simplicity and reliability makes this a prime choice. I think everyone should buy at least one! It makes a great daily driver!

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I"m curious about solar panel systems and if anyone thinks they will be affected by an EMP. Not the panels themselves, but the inverter/charger and other components that actually make the power useable. Would this equipment be affected? If so, does that mean off-grid folks that think they are prepared are any better off, when it comes to having electric power post EMP?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have an 84 CUCV M1009...pretty much a diesel Blazer. It is a non-turbo diesel with full mechanical fuel injection. All the electronics, and there aren't many, are supposed to be hardened or bypassed. I had both alternators rebuilt and the tech. said that the alternator is built to be totally EMP proof. Not sure exactly how he explained it...not so much of a buff on that stuff! I bought mine with 16,000 miles and no/very little rust for $4500. Not only one of the very best values on the road, but a great BOV/EMP proof truck. On an ending note, the trucks were designed under the Cold war scare and EMP was a great concern, obviously. That, combined with the solid build and absolute simplicity and reliability makes this a prime choice. I think everyone should buy at least one! It makes a great daily driver!

The only thing that makes this Vehicle "Special" over the Civilian equivilant is the 24VDC System that the Military had built into it...

There is no extra or special EMP sheilding used...
    Sorry to disappoint you... :dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    From my service in the Army.

1. A dirty bomb (conventional explosives used to blow radioactive material into the atmosphere) does not produce an Electro Magnetic Pulse. An EMP is produced by a nuclear explosion (fission or fusion of nuclear materials).

2. We were taught that an EMP ONLY affected electronic devices ie. computers or transistor type radios. Our AN PRC 77 radios would be worthless. Basically the entire US powergrid is electronic.
    A car with a computer would quit.

3. EMP does not affect electrical devices. Tube radios like the soviets used to carry would be fine.

Go back to school cause you either did not pay attention or you were not taught correct information...

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    If you have a newer vehicle with fuel injection, could you not buy a bunch of spare electronic parts and keep them in a Faraday box? Then if that EMP event happens, you can just swap out your parts and be running again.....does that make sense?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you have a newer vehicle with fuel injection, could you not buy a bunch of spare electronic parts and keep them in a Faraday box? Then if that EMP event happens, you can just swap out your parts and be running again.....does that make sense?
    Does your newer Car quit running when you drive by a TV/Radio Transmission Tower?! :popcorn:

iwas1ncthr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    Anderson
    Funny, my wife and I were talking about this today and I was hinting to going after some mid to late 70's model Doge Rams, Chevy Suburban etc..... I want to get something as you say, not all geared up with electronics and to be frank, something that i can work on without the masters degrees of today. Solid built, can drive in the woods and a real 4x4, not one that falls apart 5 minutes after you hit a few large drops and catch some small air. I also have my car equipt with the onstar simply for the emergency assistance. As a husband and father, it gives me a bit of peace of mind being that we almost always travel as a family.

When I think however from the Marine side of things, if the day does come when an EMP is used, I told my wife to be prepared for something much larger afterward. An EMP will be used to take out communications and stop alot of things from being able to happen ie: first responders etc..... I would imagine any EMP would be followed by a nuke or BIO weapon. I hope and pray we never see or hear of the day but as this world gets more and more chaotic....... it just seems like it is going to happen it's just a question of when.

We move from Massachusetts to Indiana back in March for a couple reasons, for 1, Indiana was rated as the #1 state in the US to raise a family. My wife and I homeschool our kids and Massachusetts happens to be against that idea. They are afraid that parents might teach their children about the Lord, God forbid you do that in todays society. The other reason was I wanted to be away from any coastline. Being that the East Cost will be the #1 place for any type of attack due to military bases and population, I wanted to be closer to a mountain area or have the ability to get to the US/Canadian boarder faster. In all fairness, EMP strikes are a very big threat and knowing recent bills proposed in the house recently that are giving the CDC some law enforcement capabilities has got me on the fence on something brewing that the rest of us do not seem to have any clue about. Well, I'll shut up now before this gets to sound like some kind of doom and gloom/survivalist/anti governmetn post as I am definatly not one of those :)

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    What do you have that would not be damaged by EMP?

An old car, truck or tube radio? An EMP storage box idea.

Look around your home or work. What can you do if the power goes out for months. Do you know what critical spares you should have to fix what you have? Do you know what the critcal parts on your car, truck or generator.

Who has a foot cranked sewing machine, hand pump well, tube radio or ham system...the list goes on. Don't toss those old items from granda or what could you find at a yard sale or auction....

Mods...can we make it a new sticky?

A gun

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I live far enough from towns that a horse and a cart to go with it would be very practical. But I’ve got a 75X140 lot and no place to keep one. Best bet for me would be to try to make some kind of deal with one of the Amish farmers for a horse and try to build a simple cart. Even there, they could build a better one than I could.
    THis is little off topic and i dont know if it has been said but in the case of EMP why not ask then about the lifestyle as unless they've modernized they wouldnt be effected at all. In fact they may ask what happened as they wont even know it happened.

yaquindn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Floyd co./Southern Indiana
    if you purchase extra parts for your electronics and store them in an old microwave the shielding that protects us while it is running will protect the same electronic parts needed to repair your car or radio or any other important electric device. the mircowave that don't work anymore is a poorman's faraday box.

Top Bottom