• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Buttplate sanded to fit and on. Thompson sling swivel inlet made on the butt stock and wood is being stained. After it dries, swivel will be installed and just waiting on another sling. The one I ordered was too narrow (I ordered a 1-1/4” but got a 1”) and returned. Got another coming that should be here in another day or two. New pics will be coming after that’s done and I call it complete.

Then I need to go shoot it. All I need is a trench and someone to be mad at. Anyone got some extra Huns out there they want to toss in a trench?

Oh, and someone to dig a trench. I’m a little too old for that s**t.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You said you cut the barrel with a pipe cutter. Can you tell me more about that? Have an 1897 I'd like to shorten to 20". I'd probably need someone to install a bead if I actually want it on centerline, but I was thinking of doing the barrel cut myself. How'd you recrown it?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Found an old Stevens 520A at the Louisville gun show a few months ago. My son noticed the guy walking around with it and he only wanted $100 so I gladly gave him that. It had a long barrel with the adjustable choke and a cracked loose buttock with no butt plate. Very worn with a great old patina.

I looked all over for a heatshield. There was one at the show for $800, so that was right out. Bid on a few on EBay and Gunbroker but they were closing over $400. Finally one seller had several so I made a $350 offer he accepted. It was a reproduction but original ones are so spicy, I just didn’t care. Cut the barrel down with a pipe cutter to the right length and good to go there.

I then started looking for a bayonet but those were not common and going for over $200. I started wondering if any other bayonets would fit or could be modified. I had a few long ones I had picked up at a local military swap meet and it turns out that one of them was an original British 1913 made by Remington that ended up being repurposed for US use after we entered WWI.

The bayonet fit perfectly and was aged to perfection like everything else on the gun. The grips were pretty chewed up so I found a set on eBay for $30. Nice original ones that matched the old and worn look.

I hit the heatshield with some vinegar and steel wool, smacked it around, dragged it through some gravel and within a few hours, it looked as vintage as everything else. I removed the cracked stock, replacement ones for the 520A are not too common so I spread it apart and injected good wood glue in and clamped it. It was still loose fitting so I sprayed the shotgun’s back end with oil and bedded the stock to it with epoxy. Once that set up for a few days, smacked it around and put some weight on it, it stayed nice and tight.

I am waiting on a rear sling mount (1928 Thompson M1A1) a repo leather sling and repo butt plate to finish out the project. I will beat up and age the sling when it arrives and it should be complete. I've wanted to do this since I picked up a Stevens 620 in really nice condition. I shortened the barrel to 18 inches before researching trench guns and realized it was too short for the heat shield bayonet lug. So I've been looking for just the barrel half since it is a take down, but no luck there. When my son spotted the 520 at the show, he started this project. It has been fun.
    Good gawd that knifey bit is damn near as big as the gun itself. Looks like youre fixen to bring a sword to a gun fight.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    You said you cut the barrel with a pipe cutter. Can you tell me more about that? Have an 1897 I'd like to shorten to 20". I'd probably need someone to install a bead if I actually want it on centerline, but I was thinking of doing the barrel cut myself. How'd you recrown it?
    Since it was in a pretty beat up condition, I didn't care if the barrel was scratched a little. A tubing or pipe cutter goes around and makes a nice smooth squared off cut and I wouldn't have to worry about keeping it perpendicular like I would have with a hacksaw. I just took it slow and increased the cutting wheel a little bit at a time.

Recrowning wasn't a huge concern with a shotgun, I just took a couple of fine rattail files and gently smoothed the edges out and finished with sandpaper. A little cold blue to keep it from rusting and it was good to go.

Can't help with the bead, my heatshield/bayonet mount has one, I just did my best to eyeball it to center. Once I shoot it I will be able to see how close I got and adjust a smidge as necessary.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Since it was in a pretty beat up condition, I didn't care if the barrel was scratched a little. A tubing or pipe cutter goes around and makes a nice smooth squared off cut and I wouldn't have to worry about keeping it perpendicular like I would have with a hacksaw. I just took it slow and increased the cutting wheel a little bit at a time.

Recrowning wasn't a huge concern with a shotgun, I just took a couple of fine rattail files and gently smoothed the edges out and finished with sandpaper. A little cold blue to keep it from rusting and it was good to go.

Can't help with the bead, my heatshield/bayonet mount has one, I just did my best to eyeball it to center. Once I shoot it I will be able to see how close I got and adjust a smidge as necessary.
    Thanks. Did you need a hardened cutter or did a garden variety pipe cutter do it?

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Thanks. Did you need a hardened cutter or did a garden variety pipe cutter do it?
    Not sure, it is a Ridgid No. 10 from my Eastman tubing kit. As it is for metal, I would think it is hardened since Ridgid is a good quality tool, but not certain. It was not hard to cut the barrel with it for certain. Just take your time and tighten a little bit at a time and it will make a nice smooth cut.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Buttplate sanded to fit and on. Thompson sling swivel inlet made on the butt stock and wood is being stained. After it dries, swivel will be installed and just waiting on another sling. The one I ordered was too narrow (I ordered a 1-1/4” but got a 1”) and returned. Got another coming that should be here in another day or two. New pics will be coming after that’s done and I call it complete.

Then I need to go shoot it. All I need is a trench and someone to be mad at. Anyone got some extra Huns out there they want to toss in a trench?

Oh, and someone to dig a trench. I’m a little too old for that s**t.
    Hey, I resemble those remarks...

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Pics

For a counterfeit project, I am pretty happy with how it turned out.
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Anticipating the range report.

One comment ... the sling doesn't look to be rigged correctly. Definately wrong for a rifle ... maybe not for a shotgun. I'm just not seeing how you make any adjustments for carry or even use it to help steady the shotgun when firing.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Anticipating the range report.

One comment ... the sling doesn't look to be rigged correctly. Definately wrong for a rifle ... maybe not for a shotgun. I'm just not seeing how you make any adjustments for carry or even use it to help steady the shotgun when firing.
    Good eye, it was not a new one since I was looking for the used beatup look. It was missing the sewn loop at the end of the short part, the threads had been pulled out so I jury rigged it that way for looks. I will loosen it a position or two for carry, but I am not planning on doing any long range precision work where I need to steady it with the sling TBH.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    With out a doubt, the long stabby version looks so much better than the short stabby version.
    But if something goes bump in the night, I am grabbing the short stabby 590. That thing is a beast. Plus the little shake awake red dot is good in the dark, but I still need a small light on it.

In day time, the long stabby sure is intimidating and does just look cool as hell. I made it just for the cool factor, I’ve always loved the look of the old trench guns.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John22
    Top Bottom