• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I would be a lot less worried about transportation, and a lot more worried about protecting my assets. The first priority has to be to secure whatever location you may have chosen to make your stand. I am sure I am not alone in the fact that I have spent a lot of time thinking about, and am spending as much as I can budget each month to secure the property that contains my stockpiles. Hopefully I will have no reason to go anywhere, and by the time anyone gets to me, I hope to be prepared to take whatever action is needed. Leaving would be the last thing on my mind.

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    Or you can just get a cook book, because they will be eating each other.
    Stay away from the neural network and the brain, prions carry Mad cow, and about a dozen variants.

I am not leaving the Fort, all my crap is here.:ar15:

kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    An EMP would not hurt the Vehicles, or most electronics.

If you are close enough that an EMP takes out your equipment, that is the least of your worries. If you are close enough that EMP has destroyed your equipment then YOU ARE IN THE RADIATION ZONE.

+1! Feeling your pain brother...

Don't most vehicles act as quasi-Faraday cages anyway... they only need to be grounded.:twocents:

In case anyone hasn't checked this out...
    Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack
    Interesting reading...

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    An EMP would not hurt the Vehicles, or most electronics.

If you are close enough that an EMP takes out your equipment, that is the least of your worries. If you are close enough that EMP has destroyed your equipment then YOU ARE IN THE RADIATION ZONE.

I am not a nuclear physicist, but everything I have read or watched on the subject indicates than a detonation above the atmosphere that is required to create an EMP would cause minimal radiation risk. You might want also to take a look at the program that the History Channel did where scientists with experience did tests on several vehicles under controlled circumstances. None of the vehicles tested survived.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Not that you didn't give the topic proper consideration before, but anyone feeling a little more nervous now that Iran and the Russians are placing rods in the plant?? I finished One Second After last week and gave it to a friend of mine. I told him when he was done and stopped shaking to call me and we can start taking supply inventory!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Not that you didn't give the topic proper consideration before, but anyone feeling a little more nervous now that Iran and the Russians are placing rods in the plant?? I finished One Second After last week and gave it to a friend of mine. I told him when he was done and stopped shaking to call me and we can start taking supply inventory!

anything having to do with russians scares me and ESPECIALY my wallet!

I dont trust any of them

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Its times like this I wish I could remember where exactly I got the information. I have read articles about faraday cages to protect electrical equipment in case of an emp attack. What I retained from the articles was that the all metal construction of the older vehicles and the insulating effect of the tires would protect most vehicles. It was suggested that if you had a metal structure (i.e. Pole barn, aluminum siding on your house) that you would have a significant amount of protection against most forms of emp. All of my vehicles are parked inside metal structures but its not like I planned it that way.
    I would be more concerned about having a running vehicle that would make me a VERY big target for the ones that dont. Most of my travel and getting to my bug out location would be cross country and at night so that I wouldnt be seen. The 10 cans of flat black paint cans that I have would change my white Montero to black while I was waiting for night to fall.

H&R12G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I noticed this and decided to check it out. Just because a car has a computer doesn't mean it won't work. You have 2 options with a computer controlled car:

1. Get a vehicle witha simple computer. My project ('88 F-150) is relativley easy to replace a computer and an ECU will be cheap. Just keep a spare in an EMP proof box.

2, Run it with the computer fried. We had an Oldsmobile at C9 that the computer was junk. Would read different trouble codes everytime it started. Also ran rich as heck and sounded like a 305. Did drive and everything though.

Though we also had an Acura that the computer was messed up in that would not start. So, I would think an older model car with a computer COULD work, not necissarily would. Granted we are all in agreeance that a carburated vehicle would be best but it is hard to find a good ole' vehicle that's not trashed. And a restored one could cost a pretty penny. But, I'm not exactly sure how an EMP works. I do know it's a nuke that is detonated over an area and the explosion creates a magnetic field. Or, thats what I read anyways.

Just thought, would the magnetic field destroy magnetics even in the old vehicles. Like the solenoid?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    My rip cord start gokart would still work. its build off an Briggs and Stratton mower. My guns will still work. Theres goats in the back yard and squirrels for eats... and we already have an outside wood burning furnace... I think I would manage.

runandgun44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I don't think I would want to drive any where anyway. If an EMP event occurred I would stay at home.

Will a generator survive an EMP if it is not plugged in?

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I would rely on the ol 1983 Shoedebakers, they run on booze and meat. Look at War of the Worlds: He fixes that old van and now he is a target because he has the one running vehicle. They get to a congested area and BAM! gunplay was involved, his kids almost got kidnapped, people were killing each other just for one vehicle that ended up smashing into a light pole. I would think everyone would want to keep a low profile when/if SHTF. If I had to have a vehicle, I would seriously go for a sandrail/gokart/riding mower w/trailer. Minimal in no electrical system

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    typical human phenominom:

'man this tastes like complete a#$. here try it.'

'oh my god... this smells horrible!!! here smell it.'

A book that pissed me off, but is a great story about this subject. Makes you think. Makes you .... really .... think.

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

I couldn't put it down. Then I needed to see it burn!!!!! (not cause the story was a bad story, or because the story had a bad ending... but because i refuse to believe the ending is a real possibility.)

This is a story about an EMP attack and brings to your face like a Baseball bat the reality of what EMP means to me and you.

M

Last edited:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    One Second After by William R. Forstchen

I couldn't put it down. Then I needed to see it burn!!!!! (not cause the story was a bad story, or because the story had a bad ending... but because i refuse to believe the ending is a real possibility.)

This is a story about an EMP attack and brings to your face like a Baseball bat the reality of what EMP means to me and you.

M

I finished it in 3 days...Scary...

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    If I remember correctly, in the event of a EMP pulse only electronics that are running will be affected. From what I understand if the said piece of electronic equipment is not electrically charged (ie battery removed or unplugged) will not be affected by the EMP pulse. IF i am wrong please let me know

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    the net voltaic strength of the "EMP" vs. the nominal voltage capacity of the thingie you're trying to shield is key.
    If you've got a friend with an old points ignition system (pre-78 car ), have her come over and rev the motor near your TV for a good relative idea of field vs. shielding required. any microwave oven will suffice as a source too...

regardless of the nature of EMF: ionizing, thermal, or more exotic fields, if';n you wish to insulate something from it, the more earth (dirt), water, and cheap steel (rebar, chicken wire, etc) - y'got - the better off your precious DVD player will be. the steel portion needs to be well-grounded with an array of ground rod and strap....
    EXAMPLE: 12" rebar reinforced concrete buried under a couple feet of dirt (decent).

the more stuff y'got between the source and defendee the better.

losing cell-signal / strong radio station is a good start.. so on a budget:

EMF detector ~ portable radio
    EMF generator ~ microwave oven (to about 3-4 feet unless you cut-out the protective screen on the door)

from this forum post:
    2012 Forum • Protect against EMP

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I have an old file cabinet downstairs and I did the FM test on it with a radio. It works. So a metal file cabinet suitably lined with a non-conducting material and probably grounded (I'm grounding mine just in case) should work for batteries, walkies, radios, etc.
    Here's a link that helped me: Faraday Cage

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I wouldn't worry about much in my house. Not sure how the red dot optics would be affected if deep inside the house, but that will be the only electronics to me with value post EMP anyway...well maybe my communication gear. Try to use Faraday Cages for that gear and hope for the best. But my 84' GMC M1009 CUCV will be king of the road! And I will have to defend it from all of the living zombies. Oh well, at least there are you people out there to keep me sane! I would suggest these vehicles to anyone, EMP or not. For the price vs. mileage+ longevity, they are the best values on the road today. And some of the strongest 4X4's. 6.2l diesel in mine, I love it!

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Interesting reading.

I would say it would be more important to be able to have enough food, clean water, shelter, guns and ammo before I worry about a vehicle.

For instance,

Right now in your house, how much food do you have that will survive if you had no power? Any weather, not just winter where you could store food outside..

How much clean water do you have available if you have no power??

How would you stay clean and sanitary without power?

Just my two cents, but I would worry more how to stay alive first..

Rule of 3's

3 minutes without air
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food

Top Bottom