• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    if you purchase extra parts for your electronics and store them in an old microwave the shielding that protects us while it is running will protect the same electronic parts needed to repair your car or radio or any other important electric device. the mircowave that don't work anymore is a poorman's faraday box.
    :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    An EMP wouldn't make a distributor not work. There's nothing that would be damaged.

The capacitor would be damaged if it were exposed to the pulse especially if the unit was powered at the time. The coil would be subject as well. The alternator could suffer damage especially internally regulated units which is the majority
    of them these days. Diodes and other susceptible components.
    If you have a late model computer controlled vehicle that was not shielded from the pulse as in underground garage or shielded building it would be toast.
    Shielding or "Hardening" your genny is not that tough.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Older cars that use as little amounts of electrical components as possiable. You have a much better chance of being able to restore one of them after the event. Likely components that would need replacement would probably be the coil, and distributor maybe more....Anybody ever read the story "Lights Out" by Halffast ? Pretty neat story that is about a EMP strike.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/SF books/LightsOut!/LightsOut-Current.pdf

I never thought I would see the day that the electrical system in my
    MGB would be envied. 4 fuses and 16 wires not one computer

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Would life be so bad with just fireplaces, guns, and horses?

I'm picturing Kevin Costner in "The Postman"

I see the same picture. It would be cool but I am near 62 yrs. old and getting a bit stiff. In response to your statement, Hell yes it would be bad. I pay for pre-cut firewood and have not rode a horse in 7 yrs.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I just finished reading "One Second After" the other day (I know it took me far too long to actually get it and read it).

I'm wondering how practical it would be to shield my entire home... other than my cellphones not working/no FM radio, I don't really see the downsides...

my questions are:

1. can it be done without ripping apart the house?
    2. Would it be effective enough to keep my gizmos alive?
    3. Would it really matter all that much, as all of the supporting systems will be dead?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I just finished reading "One Second After" the other day (I know it took me far too long to actually get it and read it).

I'm wondering how practical it would be to shield my entire home... other than my cellphones not working/no FM radio, I don't really see the downsides...

my questions are:

1. can it be done without ripping apart the house?
    2. Would it be effective enough to keep my gizmos alive?
    3. Would it really matter all that much, as all of the supporting systems will be dead?
    There are several studies that can be dug up online with regards to the real effects of an EMP event. While I think the book One Second After is a good read the author took several liberties in what exactly an EMP can and cannot do much like Hollywood has.

Do I think there is a need to EMP Shield a Home or have a Car that was made prior to 1970? No not really, modern cars and electronics are shielded well enough for what most are worried about being bothered by. If you are close enough to an EMP Event to knock out your Cars and Electronics, you have bigger problems than the EMP...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    An EMP event could travel along a power line like a lightning strike, Yes/No
    I have heard in discussions with folks far smarter than I (at least on paper) that the effects could run down a power line into the surrounding area. I am no electrical engineer but is the pulse a strong electrostatic charge???

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    An EMP event could travel along a power line like a lightning strike, Yes/No
    From what I understand yes.
    I have heard in discussions with folks far smarter than I (at least on paper) that the effects could run down a power line into the surrounding area. I am no electrical engineer but is the pulse a strong electrostatic charge???
    However from what I understand and have been taught (right or wrong) it acts similar to a direct lighting strike on a power line grid, without having to actually strike the grid. It will surge through stuff in the local area of the event (depending on the size of the event, for the definition of local event) and dissipate out from there...

Kinda...

CBRN is not really my field of expertise...
    I just know the little bit that I have been taught about it...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That was my understanding. The pulse generates an overloading inductive currant (magnetic) in the wiring of the grid and any other device in the area of the event not un-like a lightning strike. If that were the case then anything attached to the main power grid could and would be affected to some extent. I wonder if a surge device on the incoming line could protect the home. As you stated earlier, if you were close enough to the event to burn up your electronic toys you would have far more serious issues. Just trying to understand.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sorry if the truth has come out since I haven't read all the posts, but I can speak from experience. I worked on an ECM for a major manufacturer. In order for us to sell them to the US military, our civilian models had to be EMP tested. They passed with flying colors which to be honest, surprised us. The fact is most, if not all electronic control modules for today's vehicles are hardened against EMP, and not because of the possibility of a nuclear airburst itself, but because of all the other radiation devices we drive by daily. We had to make sure that the ECM did not malfunction just because you drove next to something that was putting out massive electronic radiation.

Yes, anything hooked up to the power grid would be susceptible to an EMP. You could drive your car or truck to the gas station, but you might not be able to gas up.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    That was my understanding. The pulse generates an overloading inductive currant (magnetic) in the wiring of the grid and any other device in the area of the event not un-like a lightning strike. If that were the case then anything attached to the main power grid could and would be affected to some extent. I wonder if a surge device on the incoming line could protect the home. As you stated earlier, if you were close enough to the event to burn up your electronic toys you would have far more serious issues. Just trying to understand.
    Yeah when you condense it down...

One other thing, the longer the lines of circuits the more damage possible...
    Sorry if the truth has come out since I haven't read all the posts, but I can speak from experience. I worked on an ECM for a major manufacturer. In order for us to sell them to the US military, our civilian models had to be EMP tested. They passed with flying colors which to be honest, surprised us. The fact is most, if not all electronic control modules for today's vehicles are hardened against EMP, and not because of the possibility of a nuclear airburst itself, but because of all the other radiation devices we drive by daily. We had to make sure that the ECM did not malfunction just because you drove next to something that was putting out massive electronic radiation.

Yes, anything hooked up to the power grid would be susceptible to an EMP. You could drive your car or truck to the gas station, but you might not be able to gas up.
    Thank You!

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I don't know if this has been answered but wouldn't turning off electric devices and removing batteries make them unaffected?

scarboni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Unknown
    i wouldn't worry too much on the car thing,where you going?Everthing will be so screwed up,no gas,electric,money,food the list goes on and on.You won't be able to pull 20 bucks out of the atm...Maybe a good moutain bike with an AR attached of course, some form of money weather its some silver/gold whos knows!But make sure you have plenty of ammo to protect yourself,because people will go NUTS!!!!!!!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i wouldn't worry too much on the car thing,where you going?Everthing will be so screwed up,no gas,electric,money,food the list goes on and on.You won't be able to pull 20 bucks out of the atm...Maybe a good moutain bike with an AR attached of course, some form of money weather its some silver/gold whos knows!But make sure you have plenty of ammo to protect yourself,because people will go NUTS!!!!!!!!!

Thats the whole point. Being able to Bug out. No problem with electricity, if prepared. No problem with fuel, if prepared. No issues with the ATM as money will be even more worthless than it is now. From what has been posted I have gathered that my program will be sufficient to get me and the family to BOL 1
    and beyond if we can just avoid those nuts you speak of and all the Zombies.

Chance favors the prepared mind....or something like that....

Kroush

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    the book one second after by William R. Forstchen gives a very in depth theory on what would happen in the event of an EMP. its a good book to read if you have some spare time.

Top Bottom