• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I built a box about 3 months ago. It took about 3 hrs to make by the time it was all cut and put together. I went for overkill as I lined it with heavy gauge aluminum tape on all the seams, lined it with heavy aluminum foil, put all the electronics in aluminum bags and then rewrapped them 2 & sometimes 3 times, then finished the outside off with aluminum screen. Now, before it's said, it took all of the above mentioned to completely block out the 2 way radio signals, frms, UHF & VHF. All were tested and the box has no gaps and will not allow a signal in or out. image.jpg

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Make a bunch of Faraday Cages for your electronic goods and you will be good as gold. The government shields against EMP attack this way as well. They aren't very hard to make either. They are essentially a charged wire mesh box that you put your electronic stuff. Of course, they have to be in there at the time of the EMP. So you either have to live in one, I have places in my house where I essentially do, or you have to leave stuff in there when these things seem likely. Alternatively you can keep spares in the cage all the time and retrieve them once one happens.

I see this has been sort of covered with a few additions...

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    Build a wood frame structure large enough to park your vehicle. Inside your garage, an overhang attached to the side of your house or just somewhere on your land. Faraday cages do not require copper to be functional, just metal that is conductive. You could use chicken coop wiring or something similar as long as the openings aren't too large. If they are too large, extra layers must be used to close the gaps, but all layers must be interconnected.

218_1.jpg

faraday_cage.jpg

Make sure all sections of the wire are connected that make up the walls, ceiling and around each corner. Drive a grounding rod into the earth and connect heavy gauge wire to it from the cage. Place rubber matting on the floor of the cage to drive the vehicle on. No part of the vehicle can touch the cage, not even a spark gap distance. Give yourself enough room to open the doors of the vehicle front to rear.

An EMP could go off in your sleep giving no time to properly shield your equipment. Store your equipment and your vehicle in this structure every night if the risk seemed high in a wartime atmosphere. if you store your electronics in metal trash cans, make sure the cans are lined with plastic trash cans, rubber, cardboard or something to protect the equipment.

Don't wire the cage for lighting. The EMP will travel through the wiring outside of the cage and into the cage.

Additional protection may be provided by sinking large antennae grounding rods on the highest point of your property, away from your cage structure. The EMP follows the path of least resistance.

I've been researching EMP's for years. One of the best books I've ever read was Disaster Preparedness for EMP Attacks and Solar Storms.. by Arthur T. Bradley. It is well worth anyone's time to buy it and read it.

All pretty good advice except for the grounding part. Faraday cages do not need to be grounded. I've even made Faraday cages out of food bags that are lined with aluminum for freshness. You do need to put the item inside a anti static bag first. Easy way to test it is put your cell in one and call it. If when you take youir cell out of the bag and you don't have a missed call the signal never got through.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Anything that has a conductive circuit is affected. In many cases, an open circuit can be affected as well, depending on the resistance of the break and the strength of the pulse.

Radio/telecomm, modern vehicles, power stations, computers, traffic control, plant controls, possibly generators, etc. If it plugs in or has batteries, it's susceptable.

The only way to protect equipment is to harden it, or keep it in a Faraday cage. Being the only one with a working phone doesn't do you much good, and having the only working car will only last you so long. It's a big threat on a National/Regional scale, but I doubt doing much about it will do any good. Make sure your beans, bullets, and bandages are squared away, and that's your 80% solution with 20% effort.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I would also add that in some strategically-minded circles, nukes would be most likely used by enemy states to attack infrastructure, rather than population centers. Leaving Chicago a smoking pit earns you retaliatory strikes on Nanking, but atmospheric bursts that collapse the Eastern US powergrid are far less likely of triggering MAD.

Remember, our enemies are waging and are far likelier to win an economic war, rather than a shooting war. Take out American technology, and we're back to 19th Century settlements with very limited ability to project power/influence abroad.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You could protect your current (read car with electrically components) by building a Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Off course this requires that you have the car or TV or radio or PC or whatever **INSIDE** the cage when the blast goes off.

However its a mute point really because even if the car survives you are now target #1 for zombies everywhere. Why? An EMP blast is going to disable all our current cars, our electrical system, our manufacturing, etc.. In essence everything in our society! .,

Moot, not mute.

Top Bottom