• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Case in point, "Me and Bobby McGee". Who does everyone think of first when that song is mentioned? Janis Joplin, the singer, or Kris Kristofferson, the writer? "All Along the Watchtower" is another one. Most think of Hendrix's version and not Dylan's (the original).
    I think of Roger Miller as I like his version better but that's a good point. Kris Kristofferson is a great example of a very good writer who was a decent to mediocre singer and performer. No one considers him to be a great artist even though he was probably a great writer.

"Hurt" is another example. Johnny Cash didn't write it but he sung/performed the definitive version of it. Neither Johnny or the song are in anyway lessened by him not writing it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    IMO, not writing their own music is one of the silliest and lamest knocks on an artist. It reminds me of the people (and I use that term loosely) that claim Taylor Swift is great because she writes her own songs. The problem is her songs suck, she's a mediocre vocalist, and her performances are not much better. I judge and artist on how well they sing and perform, I couldn't care less who wrote the song. Especially when so many artists get their names attached to songs to which they likely contributed little or nothing.
    I don't expect or require that artists write all their own music. But you gotta write something. Elvis wrote nothing.

I liked Taylor swift way better when she was a nobody country singer.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    This thread reminds me of a guy I knew years ago that always hated AC/DC because so many of their hit songs are just variations on the same three chords. I didn't know anything about music, so I just enjoyed the songs anyway.

Likewise, I will enjoy the Elvis movie if it is entertaining whether he wrote anything or not. Sometimes you can know too much and overthink things.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Beatles did write some decent songs. Unfortunately, most of them are better when someone else sings/performs them.
    Disagree but that's just me. Having experienced that era being very aware of the music scene as I had just started playing guitar/bass/and later delving into percussion and keyboards, never a master of any but I was a true soldier to my cause, I was mesmerized by the sound. It was completely new. It saved me from the Elvis onslaught.
    Love-em/hate-em their contributions to the way we enjoy music is legend. They changed everything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I am only 32, which may explain some things
    It does. You are fully digital in an over produced digital era of modern electronic music. Again, no knock as we are what we are surrounded by. My kids enjoy their music as well. Me, I have no use for 95% of what is shoved out the radio at us anymore. Even country which I was a fan of some years back. But again, I get it.

To actually see/hear musicians being just that is sorely missed. One of the absolute best shows I ever saw was CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) live in a small venue in Ohio doing their 1st 2 albums live. They tore the house down. Live.
    They are just "Chicago" now. And I am old school. Obviously.

Edit...Pulling out an album, cleaning it with a proper rag. Wiping off the table. Manually dropping the diamond needle with the lever onto the starting grooves, the slight pop and audible background his of the analog magnetic master tape......Then set back and enjoy your selection. Thats the experience. The process.
    But I digress.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This thread reminds me of a guy I knew years ago that always hated AC/DC because so many of their hit songs are just variations on the same three chords. I didn't know anything about music, so I just enjoyed the songs anyway.

Likewise, I will enjoy the Elvis movie if it is entertaining whether he wrote anything or not. Sometimes you can know too much and overthink things.
    Most basic rock tunes are well known progressions.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Especially when so many artists get their names attached to songs to which they likely contributed little or nothing.
    In INGO parlance, follow the money, often a deal is stuck between the actual writers and performers because performers get nothing from radio play, satellite play, streaming play, only the writers through ASCAP or BMI. This type of disagreement was a big part of the eagles breakup, Frey and Henley wrote most of the songs and were making bank the others were not, then when others did write something it was often knocked down, likely because F & H would not get paid for it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think of Roger Miller as I like his version better but that's a good point. Kris Kristofferson is a great example of a very good writer who was a decent to mediocre singer and performer. No one considers him to be a great artist even though he was probably a great writer.

"Hurt" is another example. Johnny Cash didn't write it but he sung/performed the definitive version of it. Neither Johnny or the song are in anyway lessened by him not writing it.
    I love the Roger Mille version. There are a lot of different voices out there, I am drawn to the imperfect like KK. Love “Hurt”.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    They changed everything.
    I'll agree with that. Unfortunately not all change is good and I think the world could have done without boy bands. ;)

Seriously though, having been born way to late to appreciate the new and groundbreaking aspects of the Beatles, I can still appreciate many of their lyrics(particularly the ones that weren't flower power BS) even their musicianship but vocally, especially coming from an era of tremendous vocal talent, the product doesn't match the hype.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I love the Roger Mille version. There are a lot of different voices out there, I am drawn to the imperfect like KK. Love “Hurt”.
    For me, KK comes across as rather bland. He's not bad but just doesn't stand out for me and I'd actually prefer a bit more imperfection especially if it were accompanied by more emotion. It's kind of odd talking about KK in a thread about Elvis since they are opposites in a lot of ways.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For me, KK comes across as rather bland. He's not bad but just doesn't stand out for me and I'd actually prefer a bit more imperfection especially if it were accompanied by more emotion. It's kind of odd talking about KK in a thread about Elvis since they are opposites in a lot of ways.
    Opposites how? They sure have that movie thing down though…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't expect or require that artists write all their own music. But you gotta write something. Elvis wrote nothing.

Artist or not is likely dependant on how you choose to define it, he was a great performer and entertainer. That's what people tend to care about. I don't go to a concert to be wowed about who wrote the song. I go to have a good time, and Elvis obviously gave that to people.

The concept of "black music" or "white music" is inherently racist. Music belongs to nobody and all genres borrow and build from each other. Nobody whines that people are ripping off the Spanish when they play guitar, because that would be ridiculous...yet how is that different? Now, not paying specific individuals fairly for their contributions can absolutely be rooted in racism, but that's a different conversation than "black music" vs "white music".

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Exec #1: "We're losing profitability and market share. Top Gun is about to break a billion, people are tiring of superhero movies and reality TV is saturated. What do we do?"

Exec #2: "I've got it! Pseudo-historical movies based on the lives of popular celebrities!"

Exec #1: "I think you're on to something. Isn't Madonna in the pipeline, who else can we pick?"

Exec #2: "Hmm, well, I think we should time it for nostalgia points based on age demographics and by the time we wear this trend out we can reboot all the superhero movies."

Exec #1: "Brilliant!"

Don't forget to stop at McBurgerTaco for the "KK" burger taco value meal to coincide with the summer 2028 release of "Kardashian: The Story of Kim."

Come on peoples....when you post a video/meme read the thing 1st. The filters dont work on them.

Please.
    Now I know the timing of my death; summer 2028.:koolaid:

I'm going to drink two glasses just to be sure it takes.:drama:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Opposites how? They sure have that movie thing down though…
    Opposites as in mirror images.
    KK-Known primarily as a writer, sang reasonably well but without a lot of emotion, not much of a performer
    Elvis- Not a writer at all, sang well with a lot of emotion, known for being one of the greatest performers
    They definitely had the movie thing in common.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well there's been a few more than him in the music industry that had that problem... Randy Rhodes, several members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jim Croce, of course the other folks in the plane with Buddy, including a Ritchie Valens, Big Bopper, just to name a few.
    Don't forget:

1656436771075.png

The perp:

1656436813012.png

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Artist or not is likely dependant on how you choose to define it, he was a great performer and entertainer. That's what people tend to care about. I don't go to a concert to be wowed about who wrote the song. I go to have a good time, and Elvis obviously gave that to people.

The concept of "black music" or "white music" is inherently racist. Music belongs to nobody and all genres borrow and build from each other. Nobody whines that people are ripping off the Spanish when they play guitar, because that would be ridiculous...yet how is that different? Now, not paying specific individuals fairly for their contributions can absolutely be rooted in racism, but that's a different conversation than "black music" vs "white music".
    I'm sorry just for clarification, are you suggesting im a racist?

I think it's fairly common and acceptable to lable music to suggest the culture tied to it.

At that time, the black culture that created that music was not the culture of mainstream Elvis fans. The most you can credit him is with bringing a new culture to the mainstream.

Or am I just doubling down here on a racist line of thought? (Serious question)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    At that time, the black culture that created that music was not the culture of mainstream Elvis fans. The most you can credit him is with bringing a new culture to the mainstream.
    "Elvis was the only man from Northeast Mississippi
    Who could shake his hips and still be loved
    by rednecks, cops and hippies" -- Jimmy Buffett, "Oysters and Pearls" :)

Top Bottom