• fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    C'mon, don't be cruel.
    I knew I'd get flamed for my comments but I stand by what I said.....also is your heart true?

Duuuuude. Most everything you would consider "rock 'n roll", or whatever type of music you're into (except Techno - that's just weird), can trace its roots back to southern black music. Ever watch The Band's "Last Waltz" movie? It's available on demand for free if you have Comcast. It provides an interesting historical lesson with the interviews, as well as some kick ass music from legends in rock 'n roll.
    I won't fight you on the roots of some of our best music.

Elvis just sucks. His fame is basically just good marketing.

And just so there's no misunderstanding, I have nothing against rock, southern music (black or otherwise), etc etc. Personally I love blues music. I believe it was Buddy Guy who said something along the lines of 'no man can sing the blues like a black man's. Listen to a collection of blues and if you're honest you'll agree.

Elvis (to belabor the point) sucks, didn't write **** and just mumbled it way through everyone else's songs.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I knew I'd get flamed for my comments but I stand by what I said.....also is your heart true?

And just so there's no misunderstanding, I have nothing against rock, southern music (black or otherwise), etc etc. Personally I love blues music. I believe it was Buddy Guy who said something along the lines of 'no man can sing the blues like a black man's. Listen to a collection of blues and if you're honest you'll agree.

Elvis (to belabor the point) sucks, didn't write **** and just mumbled it way through everyone else's songs.

f15b73d0-0209-4253-bedd-aea244032e06_text.gif

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

iu

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

I have to agree with your stance on Elvis. I love rock and roll, more on the hard rock side, but I really don't like Elvis. I also don't really like The Beatles either which I'm sure is a sin.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How can you be the king of you don't write anything you play.

How can some hick, rip off southern black music bring nothing to the table and be the king?

Garbage.
    Well, 75% of current artists buy the music the perform so it aint new.

He had an on stage presence that was new to the entire world. He also hooked up with a manager that guided him along the path to immense success. I was no fan of his music or films but millions upon millions were.
    Thats how. It's all in the head count, I guess.

He changed the worls of music as only 4 other men have done. So yes he was the "King"

Those 4 other men were the Beatles.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to agree with your stance on Elvis. I love rock and roll, more on the hard rock side, but I really don't like Elvis. I also don't really like The Beatles either which I'm sure is a sin.
    OK on the Elvis opinion but the Beatles......the band that completely changed the way rock/ballads were written and produced then toured. Touring was perfected by those young men. I grew up with the Beatles and they saved me from Elvis.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would ask what age group you may fall into for clarification. No knock but it would clarify some things....:)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Meh, more of a Buddy Holly guy myself.

Wife is stoked to see them movie. She's a rabid Elvis fan. Always gets mad when I tell her Roy Orbison was a better singer. And even Elvis would agree with that.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Exec #1: "We're losing profitability and market share. Top Gun is about to break a billion, people are tiring of superhero movies and reality TV is saturated. What do we do?"

Exec #2: "I've got it! Pseudo-historical movies based on the lives of popular celebrities!"

Exec #1: "I think you're on to something. Isn't Madonna in the pipeline, who else can we pick?"

Exec #2: "Hmm, well, I think we should time it for nostalgia points based on age demographics and by the time we wear this trend out we can reboot all the superhero movies."

Exec #1: "Brilliant!"

Don't forget to stop at McBurgerTaco for the "KK" burger taco value meal to coincide with the summer 2028 release of "Kardashian: The Story of Kim."

Come on peoples....when you post a video/meme read the thing 1st. The filters dont work on them.

Please.

Last edited by a moderator:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Meh, more of a Buddy Holly guy myself.

Wife is stoked to see them movie. She's a rabid Elvis fan. Always gets mad when I tell her Roy Orbison was a better singer. And even Elvis would agree with that.
    Buddy Holly? Meh, dude couldn't even fly.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Buddy Holly? Meh, dude couldn't even fly.
    Well there's been a few more than him in the music industry that had that problem... Randy Rhodes, several members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jim Croce, of course the other folks in the plane with Buddy, including a Ritchie Valens, Big Bopper, just to name a few.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

IMO, not writing their own music is one of the silliest and lamest knocks on an artist. It reminds me of the people (and I use that term loosely) that claim Taylor Swift is great because she writes her own songs. The problem is her songs suck, she's a mediocre vocalist, and her performances are not much better. I judge and artist on how well they sing and perform, I couldn't care less who wrote the song. Especially when so many artists get their names attached to songs to which they likely contributed little or nothing.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

Still way better than any rap music I hear! I guess you love Zappa because his music seems so original?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    OK on the Elvis opinion but the Beatles......the band that completely changed the way rock/ballads were written and produced then toured. Touring was perfected by those young men. I grew up with the Beatles and they saved me from Elvis.
    The Beatles did write some decent songs. Unfortunately, most of them are better when someone else sings/performs them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Especially when so many artists get their names attached to songs to which they likely contributed little or nothing.
    Case in point, "Me and Bobby McGee". Who does everyone think of first when that song is mentioned? Janis Joplin, the singer, or Kris Kristofferson, the writer? "All Along the Watchtower" is another one. Most think of Hendrix's version and not Dylan's (the original).

Top Bottom