• Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Didn't the late great JC hold service in sandals? :):

I feel like you might be referring to my comments, and just to be clear (read; defensive!) I never said flip flops or cargo shorts, they're nice looking shorts and they're sandals, I can run in them and I can operate in them.
    Sometimes the way I dress is how my wife likes me to dress and no one would ever expect a gun under there, which can be a tactical advantage, reference the OC CC debates. I'm not head of security by any stretch, I'm actually hidden away in the sound booth for the entirety of the service as well, and prefer running under the radar, and not wearing a shoot-me-first vest or pants helps with that. :):

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I carry a Glock27 or a snubbie of similar size with an IWB holster.
    I wear a button down tuckable shirt with either a sport coat or vest. In summer months I find vests much more comfortable than a full coat. Men's Wearhouse usually has sales from time to time that are <$50.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My apologies for misunderstanding. If you go the custom route, consider having the tailor place a felt piece inside the jacket where your pistol makes contact. That way it won't show a wear mark or tear a whole as your pistol grinds against the back of the chair.

I've got a bunch of Tshirts with small holes on the back - I think the CZ-82 mag floors are a bit sharp.

Of course, Cedartop say he appendix carries, so that won't be a problem.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've got a bunch of Tshirts with small holes on the back - I think the CZ-82 mag floors are a bit sharp.

Of course, Cedartop say he appendix carries, so that won't be a problem.

I have a selection of Tshirts that have holes in them at the 5:00-5:30 position, too.

And Cedar does AWIB carry most of the time - but not for this discussion in this thread. Clothing "mandates" otherwise.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I carry full size 1911 owb. Being head of security I would not think it would be a surprise that you were armed. I Open carry with out issue, and the family and I chose seating wisely. So my advice is color coordinate your holster, trousers, and coordinating shirt. With proper color choices you would be surprised how much your side arm will blend in.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Bought a couple of sport coats yesterday.

As part of my range trip today I took the 642 along to see if I could pass the MCOLES test with this gun from the pocket. It is an all or nothing proposition and I sent one round wide so I failed. Some of the times that are generous when using a belt mounted holster are tough to meet drawing from the pocket. It would be a no go for most people as would trying to do it from an ankle holster.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Miami Vice Rig!

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned as head of the security team, no inefficient methods of draw are going to be acceptable. No pocket carry, no tuckable holsters, no cellphone holsters, etc. Legitimate pistol with legitimate carry method only need apply.

Edited to add. I suppose I should put some hard numbers to the above. It needs to be a gun and carry method that you can reliably make hits on a 4"X6" target at 7 yards in 1.5 seconds or less.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Guess I do not understand the conundrum? Are the parishioners anti? My vote still goes to open carry, there is a time an place for it. It can be done very discretely.

While not trying to turn this into a OC/CC debate I will just point out;

I don't open carry normally, why would I start now.

Open carry is far less accepted in MI than it is in IN.

As Jetta pointed out, our approval is for concealed carry, though they may be out there I don't know of any of the Church security teams in our area who are open carrying, (let alone regular members of the congregation) and I have met quote a few of them at church security classes I have attended recently.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    NOBC...NEVER Off-Body Carry.
    A friend had a day planner holster sitting right next to him on the pew. An older man that happened to be a deacon sat down next to him to talk and nonchalantly picked up the holster and opened it and lambasted my friend for having a gun in Church.
    NEVER Off Body Cary!

I concur...NEVER carry off-body! If you have to leave in a hurry, and forget, drop, or misplace it, it's 'there' and you're not!
    I had a friend who flew choppers in Vietnam and they once had an engine failure and had to sit their chopper down near a
    Vietcong-friendly village and, upon landing, had to immediately evacuate their chopper and flee to a nearby woods!
    According to him, more than 1/2 their hand-held weapons and ammunition were left in the chopper in their chopper from haste!
    Same thing in a motor vehicle...don't just have one in your vehicle, have it on your PERSON!!!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    While not trying to turn this into a OC/CC debate I will just point out;

I don't open carry normally, why would I start now.

Open carry is far less accepted in MI than it is in IN.

As Jetta pointed out, our approval is for concealed carry, though they may be out there I don't know of any of the Church security teams in our area who are open carrying, (let alone regular members of the congregation) and I have met quote a few of them at church security classes I have attended recently.

Here is an update, I have been using a Gallo ankle glove for my back up for work, have zero issues, the P 365 fits very well and absolutely no printing. May be worth a try especially is you are stationary and sitting for services.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Here is an update, I have been using a Gallo ankle glove for my back up for work, have zero issues, the P 365 fits very well and absolutely no printing. May be worth a try especially is you are stationary and sitting for services.

I used a Galco ankle glove when working the road. I thought it was a great holster and never had a problem with it. My police uniform trousers were a much more generous cut than my church slacks.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I used a Galco ankle glove when working the road. I thought it was a great holster and never had a problem with it. My police uniform trousers were a much more generous cut than my church slacks.

I thought the same thing, I have been able to pull it off with off hrs strait leg travel pants. Usually I am not a fan of them but I like the security of things staying in your pocket. Besides sometimes it helps to blend in.

Not real sure how practical it would be to wear over your boots? For the most part I wear lower cut boots, For what I read they offer an extension for it. Not quite sold on that idea yet.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Pocket carry is the most common at our church, and we have several law officers that wear their uniforms just to show presents of the law.
    Since you revived this thread I figured I would check back in. First off, I will always strive to not pocket carry a primary firearm. I try to never say never.

Second, because as many people pointed out, doing what you normally do would be the most ideal, I have been able to make appendix carry work out very well. Still not sure how I am going to do that in the warmer weather of the summer months, but we shall see.

Top Bottom