• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't know how you dress. And with the restrictions you keep adding I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for here.

Do you wear a sport coat of suit jacket type thing? Can you do a shoulder holster?

If your church does the hug your neighbor thing or hugs in general that may be a bit awkward. But it seems it would give you any pistol option you like with a good chance of concealment.

Just looking for conversation mostly from people who are doing it. Suit jacket or sport coat is really going to be the only way to go. I haven't wore a shoulder holster since Miami Vice was on the air. Lol.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier.

So a month or two ago I was nearly kicked out of a store for open carrying.

So I changed my tactic a bit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMKM7KQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_euXjFbNWKYSHB

Holds my gun nicely, you can't tell there's a gun on it, and the GF has yet to laugh at me for my silly pouch thingy.

Also no one at that same store as given me the business about it. I figure if anyone asks I'll tell them is either. One of their business or it's simply personal medical supplies.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    That is fine for back up. Would you shoot an IDPA match that way and expect to be successful?

I just pointed out an option to where you didn't have to change the way you dressed. You also asked for what others do when they dress well for church and still carry. When I choose to dress nice (tuck my shirt in), it's pocket carry and or ankle carry. I have also used a tuckable IWB with decent success, but my shirt doesn't like to stay tucked as I would like it to.

As you well know, carrying is a compromise. I was just suggesting my experience with what I've done.

And of course I plan to be successful. Who wouldn't?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I just pointed out an option to where you didn't have to change the way you dressed. You also asked for what others do when they dress well for church and still carry. When I choose to dress nice (tuck my shirt in, it's pocket carry and or ankle carry. I have also used a tuckable IWB with decent success, but my shirt doesn't like to stay tucked as I would like it to.

As you well know, carrying is a compromise. I was just suggesting my experience with what I've done.

I didn't mean to sound snarky

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The joys of being a Methodist. We dont care if you are dressed up. What counts is you are there. So I have nice casual shirts that have the flat tail that are designed to be worn untucked. Works well for me. In the cool weather I wear a sportcoat.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier.

So a month or two ago I was nearly kicked out of a store for open carrying.

So I changed my tactic a bit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMKM7KQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_euXjFbNWKYSHB

Holds my gun nicely, you can't tell there's a gun on it, and the GF has yet to laugh at me for my silly pouch thingy.

Also no one at that same store as given me the business about it. I figure if anyone asks I'll tell them is either. One of their business or it's simply personal medical supplies.

Them: Excuse me sir, what is in that?
    You: Colostomy bag. Want to see whats in it? (as you reach for it and start to fumble awkwardly with the zipper) I just hope I dont spill it again like the last time. Man, THAT was a mess. I still dont think that guy forgives me for ruining his favorite shirt...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The joys of being a Methodist. We dont care if you are dressed up. What counts is you are there. So I have nice casual shirts that have the flat tail that are designed to be worn untucked. Works well for me. In the cool weather I wear a sportcoat..

We definitely have some members who are more casual dressers. I have even seen a few guys wear shorts ( the horror!). The elected officers are expected to dress on a fairly traditional church manner.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I wear Dockers, a button down shirt and a fishing type vest, just like when we met at the Beto rally.

You may be able to find something more dressy. Fall through Spring I wear a blazer.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Based on business casual, I think pocket carrying works the best for me. Tucked in dress shirt so no IWB/AIWB. A PF9/LC9 or even P365 would conceal fine in a Desantis Pocket Holster.

If you are wearing a jacket then maybe a shoulder rig, but I’ve got zero experience with anything like that. What if you have/want to take off your jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    "What if you have/want to take off your jacket"

I never take off the jacket in public with a rig under it.

Pocket carry works for personal carry. I have different size suit jackets for carry IWB. Why not hollow out a book and put it in a zippered bible purse?
    003345.jpg

https://www.christianbook.com/embro...MI-oDCyNj96gIVEL7ACh1R3QGgEAQYAiABEgI-T_D_BwE
    No one has ever asked to look in my bible purse. Ever! Extra credit for putting a high-lighter and pen in the pocket.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    NOBC.

NEVER OffBody Carry.

A friend had a day planner holster sitting right next to him on the pew. An older man that happened to be a deacon sat down next to him to talk and nonchalantly picked up the holster and opened it and lambasted my friend for having a gun in Church.

NEVER Off Body Cary!

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I usually do not tuck my shirts in at church, I carry both ways IWB and OWB depending on what I am carrying. If I MUST tuck a shirt in, I changer my carry and use an ankle holster or pocket carry. You need to be a little versatile to cover the needs of the day.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have ankle carried for many years. I never know when one of those sneaky old ladies will put an arm around me or go In For the Hug. So ankle was the only option to avoid problems.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    1911 in a shoulder holster. Counter balance with 2 or so mags.

Perfection. During the summer look into lighter weight jackets, or downsize. Comes down to your personal priorities.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    NOBC.

NEVER OffBody Carry.

A friend had a day planner holster sitting right next to him on the pew. An older man that happened to be a deacon sat down next to him to talk and nonchalantly picked up the holster and opened it and lambasted my friend for having a gun in Church.

NEVER Off Body Cary!

If I carry in a package, I never let go of the package. Never let go of the package!

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Do yourself a favor, break down and get a couple suits and have them tailored properly. Pick the firearm and holster you want to carry, then go to a tailor to have them select the suit. Certain colors and patterns lend themselves to this better than others. The tailor will make sure the jacket fits properly with the holster. Always button the jacket when standing and unbutton when sitting.

Top Bottom