Not open for further replies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    37420362.jpg

Are you a damned fed? Maybe you got lost on your way to the Brady Campaign website?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    We tend to give a little more leeway in political threads because everyone gets amped up. But everyone just needs to take a breather

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Lets look at the facts:
    Fact: The ATF has usurped authority in the areas of firearms
    Fact: NFA should not exist, therefore SBRs should be legal
    Fact: The NFA does exist, and SBRs are NFA items, requiring a tax stamp and extensive background check with fingerprints
    Fact: (you know it's true) MOST pistol braces are to get around the NFA

I have a few SBRs and have thought about getting a brace myself, but it is pretty obvious that braces are on their way to becoming illegal, so why bother?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Lets look at the facts:
    Fact: The ATF has usurped authority in the areas of firearms
    Fact: NFA should not exist, therefore SBRs should be legal
    Fact: The NFA does exist, and SBRs are NFA items, requiring a tax stamp and extensive background check with fingerprints
    Fact: (you know it's true) MOST pistol braces are to get around the NFA

I have a few SBRs and have thought about getting a brace myself, but it is pretty obvious that braces are on their way to becoming illegal, so why bother?

From that letter, it looks like a braced pistol today will become a tax-free SBR, if one chooses to go that route. So there's $200 reasons (per pistol) to buy one. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    From that letter, it looks like a braced pistol today will become a tax-free SBR, if one chooses to go that route. So there's $200 reasons (per pistol) to buy one. :)

Wait. What part of the letter means a braced pistol will become a tax-free SBR? :D

Seriously, I didn't get that out of the letter at all, but I admit to being biased against the BATFE doing anything that nice. :D

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wait. What part of the letter means a braced pistol will become a tax-free SBR? :D

Seriously, I didn't get that out of the letter at all, but I admit to being biased against the BATFE doing anything that nice. :D

There are some high profile YouTubers speculating that there would be a registration period that would allow existing brace owners to register those items, with .gov waiving the tax stamp in order to entice people to comply.

Hopefully that doesn't get people's attention away from the fact that even "free" registration would create the largest gun registry in US history.

If ATF moves to make these braces illegal (that's not what this letter does), then non-compliance is the best course of action, IMHO.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I saw that "retroactive" part and really can't see the AG/ATF/IRS waiving the taxes on them.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Um...this part?

https://princelaw.files.wordpress.c...ssifying-stablizing-braces-draft-12-16-20.pdf

Consequently, following issuance of this notice, ATF and DOJ plan to implement a separate process by which current possessors of affected stabilizer-equipped firearms may choose to register such firearms to be compliant with the NFA. As part of that process, ATF plans to expedite processing of these applications, and ATF has been informed that the Attorney General plans retroactively to exempt such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes if they were made or acquired, prior to the publication of this notice, in good faith.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yeah, I saw that "retroactive" part and really can't see the AG/ATF/IRS waiving the taxes on them.

Retroactive refers to the alleged status of braced pistols actually being untaxed SBRs at the time of purchase, despite the fact that were purchased as braced pistols in good faith. The tax would be waived for any such braced pistol being registered, and I'm assuming as an SBR, since there is no classification for "braced pistol."

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If there is a "free" registration period for SBRs because of the brace thing, I'm likely to register a few new SBRs that currently have regular stocks and 16"+ barrels on them. After all, once it's registered as an SBR, unless you really enjoy shoot with a forearm strap (I don't), you might as well ditch the brace and put a proper stock on it. And there's no rule against a registered SBR sometimes having a longer barrel on it.

Much better would be to remove SBR and SBS from the NFA, but since neither party has any interest in that, and since I'm already on the registry multiple times, I wouldn't mind getting some additional things through without the fee.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

The headlines on this are for grabbing attention and causing outrage, ie CLICKBAIT. Fine with me if people want to get up in arms about this, send your comments into the ATF and we'll see how the regulations pan out.

Never been a 2nd Amendment ABSOLUTIST... so, I'm sorry that this regulation and the very formation of the ATF is the bane on your existence. Don't mean to get any particular persons panties bunched up, just the facts of life.

Life ain't fair.

Never has been, never will be.

We do our best to change the rules of the game and try to live within them without going against our conscience.

The letter to me seems to state they are asking for comments on making objective standards for determining if a pistol/brace is to be considered a legal combination or a skirting of the law to make a short barreled rifle by another name.

I can tell you THIS regulation, just as with the bump stock ban, wont have any effect on me, at this time. If, for some reason, I get injured and need a brace, I trust in the market to manufacture something within the specifications to be compliant.

I don't desire a rifle caliber pistol that is so heavy and unwieldy that you can ONLY shoot it with a brace. Seems counter-intuitive to me. A solution to a problem I don't have. There are OTHER OPTIONS if you want something in rifle caliber that is compact, like an AK with folding stock for instance.

Just my opinions, and not meant to attack anyone who holds different opinions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom