• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I normally wouldn't post a video from a guy talking in a dimly lit vehicle, but it's MAC, so here it is.

[video=youtube;YxFEgsEL92U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxFEgsEL92U[/video]

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    This feels like adding a good dose of accelerant onto the smoldering dumpster of already perceived infringements in 2020...

--ATF--, do you really think it's wise to poke the bear right after waking him up, having already pissed in his Wheaties AND told him he can't leave the den?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Wait until Joe hears they're not charging the tax! Heads are about to roll!

Makes me wonder what happens if you take your brace off and put a real stock on it after you get your "SBR brace" stamp. Do you construct a double secret SBR at that point? Can you throw your brace away, or do you have to cut it up and send them pictures since it's now apparently a firearm?

Its gonna be fun from here on out...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This feels like adding a good dose of accelerant onto the smoldering dumpster of already perceived infringements in 2020...

--ATF--, do you really think it's wise to poke the bear right after waking him up, having already pissed in his Wheaties AND told him he can't leave the den?

They're testing the waters to see if we'll still be the same gutless peaceful protesters they've laughed at for decades, or if we'll actually stand up to them.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    The problem here is the concept of "administrative law".

Years ago, Mike Lee posted a photo of all of the administrative law changes vs legislative laws passed in a year and it was really stunning. Like 1000X the administrative law vs legislative law.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Looks like guideline documents were published in August 2020.

It'll be hard to blame Biden for that.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I suggest joining or donating to Firearms Policy Coalition, and GOA they are at least trying. Be forewarned that the FPC will try to solicit more money, but they are trying to be active not sitting on their thumbs

Edit: Along with sending letters/emails yourself.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I will blame all past, present and future POTUS for allowing the BATF to abuse their administrative authority to continually harass and threaten to make felons out of millions of gun owners if they do not comply with their ever shifting intentionally ambiguous rogue whims.

I do not in fact expect to see any change under a Harris/Biden administration. They have both made their intentions quite clear.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So, when do we protest outside their Indy field office?

Perhaps we need to organize a March from the state house to the atf field office on Delaware st.

We need to show them we are unified, and they are not whistling in the dark.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I will blame all past, present and future POTUS for allowing the BATF to abuse their administrative authority to continually harass and threaten to make felons out of millions of gun owners if they do not comply with their ever shifting intentionally ambiguous rogue whims.

I do not in fact expect to see any change under a Harris/Biden administration. They have both made their intentions quite clear.
    :+1:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I read the letter in its entirety and find the BATFE argument logically compelling. IMO, there was a good faith effort to allow an accessory to be used in a specific manner and then made allowances to PREVENT the user from committing a felony with incidental contact.

A WHOLE lot of people jumped on the free SBR bandwagon and proclaimed their intent from the rooftops with a middle finger thrown in to boot. The INTENT of braces was to brace. The INTENT of 90%+ of current purchasers seems to be the circumvention of the NFA.

Protest the NFA, not administrative clarification that a blind man could see coming at night. SBR regulation is unconstitutional in my opinion, but it has been upheld by every governmental entity for many, many years. The ATF now seeks to formalize what the majority of brace owners have been informally proclaiming for 3+ years: braces are the quick and easy way to SBR goodness. As such, braces have become a de facto circumvention of law and have so widely deviated from their intended purpose that the entire accessory class is now tossed in the dumpster.

Repeating: in my opinion, the NFA is unconstitutional.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I read the letter in its entirety and find the BATFE argument logically compelling. IMO, there was a good faith effort to allow an accessory to be used in a specific manner and then made allowances to PREVENT the user from committing a felony with incidental contact.

A WHOLE lot of people jumped on the free SBR bandwagon and proclaimed their intent from the rooftops with a middle finger thrown in to boot. The INTENT of braces was to brace. The INTENT of 90%+ of current purchasers seems to be the circumvention of the NFA.

Protest the NFA, not administrative clarification that a blind man could see coming at night. SBR regulation is unconstitutional in my opinion, but it has been upheld by every governmental entity for many, many years. The ATF now seeks to formalize what the majority of brace owners have been informally proclaiming for 3+ years: braces are the quick and easy way to SBR goodness. As such, braces have become a de facto circumvention of law and have so widely deviated from their intended purpose that the entire accessory class is now tossed in the dumpster.

Repeating: in my opinion, the NFA is unconstitutional.

This is a reasonable take on the letter. What is not reasonable is a government agency charged with regulating an industry allowing an accessory to be sold for several years, and even blessing the occasional shouldering of a brace, only to scramble to close the barn door long after the horses have all gone.

Practically speaking, for anyone who wants to do NFA registration, I'm guessing that a braced pistol would be classified as an SBR after registration, and thus be ok for a standard stock? Not really familiar with NFA, as I don't have any NFA items.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I was President and they came out with this letter, I would fire everyone in the agency that I was legally allowed to fire.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This /snip/

Practically speaking, for anyone who wants to do NFA registration, I'm guessing that a braced pistol would be classified as an SBR after registration, and thus be ok for a standard stock? Not really familiar with NFA, as I don't have any NFA items.

I dont know yet. That would be the most straight forward for the agency. If that's the route they take, my next SBR will be "free". I was going to send the paperwork after Christmas, I may wait to see how this goes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom