Does anyone here grow their own sprouts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been engrossed in the idea of trying my own indoor sprout growing experiment.

There is much online about it, but would like to read anyone's experiences here.

Do you harvest your own seed? Or just buy online or use local supplies?

I'm going to attempt my first small jar today and should have a result by the end of the week. Will update if any interest is generated. Thanks.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    I have sprouted lentils and other dry beans from the grocery store just to try it. I haven't tried true sprouting seeds yet. I wonder if Whole Foods or Trader Joes would carry that sort of thing?

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    I don't know of a grain that won't sprout. Mung beans are one of the most nutritious. I would not sprout soy. The link to Weston.a.price.org has plenty of information on why not to eat soy. Grains and beans should be soaked to remove phytic acid. Sprouting is even better. Sprouted grains and legumes reduce food allergies. Spelt is better than wheat; no gluten.

Search - Weston A Price Foundation

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Do these produce a seed or something that can be re planted ?

I know planted isn't the correct terminology but what I mean is can I reproduce more sprouts from one batch ?

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Do these produce a seed or something that can be re planted ?

I know planted isn't the correct terminology but what I mean is can I reproduce more sprouts from one batch ?

Nope. You'd have to let it grow to maturity, let it dry down, and then harvest it. You can purchase seed in quantity. Alfalfa is probably one of the most expensive seeds. Spelt and the rest aren't so bad. You will be getting very nutritious meals out of it. You can store pails of seed if you're prepping. The link shows where you can get local supplies right from a farm.

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

You can grind grain, sprouted or not, into flour and make sourdough. Sourdough is fermented and far better for you. I've attached one link to a website for sourdough. You can buy a starter package that is easy to use. You can also use a starter to ferment vegetables. That's pickles without the vinegar. A naturally fermented pickle tastes great and it feels like you popped a Fizzie in your mouth. And yes, I was around for Fizzies. When you hear people talking about "live" foods, they are talking about fermented food like sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha, sourdough, kimchi, and tofu. I stay away from tofu because I don't trust any soy products in the U.S.

How to Make a Sourdough Starter | Naturally Knocked Up

Last edited:

jeeper038

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Well now I feel like an idiot. I bought a pack of sprout seeds the other day just to try them out. I then planted them in one of those little greenhouses with soil. I was started to get ticked wondering why they were not sprouting. I guess I need to read the instructions next time. Thanks for the video.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Bump
    I've been engrossed in the idea of trying my own indoor sprout growing experiment.

There is much online about it, but would like to read anyone's experiences here.

Do you harvest your own seed? Or just buy online or use local supplies?

I'm going to attempt my first small jar today and should have a result by the end of the week. Will update if any interest is generated. Thanks.
    Did you do it? Did you like it?
    Was it easy to find stuff? Which types did you try?
    I'm thinking about giving this a go, maybe.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bump

Did you do it? Did you like it?
    Was it easy to find stuff? Which types did you try?
    I'm thinking about giving this a go, maybe.

Yes! Way easier than I thought it was going to be.

I bought some mung beans in bulk from a local health food store here in Indianapolis (Good Earth), I bet Ft. Wayne has similar hippy-shops. I also found a mix at the same shop. The mix is a blend of smaller seeds: fenugreek, radish, and clover ($6 for a 1lb. package).

I also have a package from the survival store in muncie - I can't remember the name Patriot Supply- Brown Mustard seed ($8 for 1/2lb.).

I use a clean mason jar and cheesecloth with a rubber band. My brother has a plastic rig made specifically for sprouting and he likes it very much. His has different lids for smaller and larger seeds. When I need to sprout the smaller seeds I use a couple more squares of cheese cloth to keep from losing many seeds. Once they get sprouting I can take off all but one cloth.

Just:
    Soak beans or seeds for about 8 hours
    Rinse well
    Set the jar at a slight angle for drainage and air circulation
    Rinse twice a day until ready (less than 5 days most of the time)

Best to keep the process in a darkish corner away from sunlight (I've let mine get too close to window for too long once. They get leafy and it's not as good and doesn't keep very long).

Air circulation is important so no grotesqueties form (never had this happen, but is a main concern of mine).

I have not tried to grow micro greens yet. Those will require light. I will probably use these same seeds and some lettuce seeds I'd saved from the garden last year.

Something else I might forgetting, but I'll edit if I think about it. Hmmm

None of my sprouts have made me ill. And I have a sensitive GI tract when it comes to greens (especially questionable restaurant salads and that sort of thing).

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yes! Way easier than I thought it was going to be.

I bought some mung beans in bulk from a local health food store here in Indianapolis (Good Earth), I bet Ft. Wayne has similar hippy-shops. I also found a mix at the same shop. The mix is a blend of smaller seeds: fenugreek, radish, and clover ($6 for a 1lb. package).

I also have a package from the survival store in muncie - I can't remember the name Patriot Supply- Brown Mustard seed ($8 for 1/2lb.).

I use a clean mason jar and cheesecloth with a rubber band. My brother has a plastic rig made specifically for sprouting and he likes it very much. His has different lids for smaller and larger seeds. When I need to sprout the smaller seeds I use a couple more squares of cheese cloth to keep from losing many seeds. Once they get sprouting I can take off all but one cloth.

Just:
    Soak beans or seeds for about 8 hours
    Rinse well
    Set the jar at a slight angle for drainage and air circulation
    Rinse twice a day until ready (less than 5 days most of the time)

Best to keep the process in a darkish corner away from sunlight (I've let mine get too close to window for too long once. They get leafy and it's not as good and doesn't keep very long).

Air circulation is important so no grotesqueties form (never had this happen, but is a main concern of mine).

I have not tried to grow micro greens yet. Those will require light. I will probably use these same seeds and some lettuce seeds I'd saved from the garden last year.

Something else I might forgetting, but I'll edit if I think about it. Hmmm

None of my sprouts have made me ill. And I have a sensitive GI tract when it comes to greens (especially questionable restaurant salads and that sort of thing).
    Thanks for that^! Don't edit something new in, because I might miss it... just post a new comment so I'll see it when I hit "new posts".
    Will any seeds work? I noticed you had radish in one mix... will you get the same results picking up a pack of radish seeds from the garden section at Home Depot or something? Thanks for the cheesecloth idea...I was wondering if I could modify a canning lid or if I'd have to buy some of those green plastic "sprout lids".

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for that^! Don't edit something new in, because I might miss it... just post a new comment so I'll see it when I hit "new posts".
    Will any seeds work? I noticed you had radish in one mix... will you get the same results picking up a pack of radish seeds from the garden section at Home Depot or something? Thanks for the cheesecloth idea...I was wondering if I could modify a canning lid or if I'd have to buy some of those green plastic "sprout lids".

I do not know if seeds for planting are the way to go. I mean to say is: the processes of which the seed company chooses and packages and handles the seeds may be different from seeds processed specifically for sprouting and eating. I really don't know.

Of course they'll sprout in the same way the seeds that I bought did. But I have no idea if Burppee or whoever treats the seed packs with anti-fungicide or anything to help with the storage and transport of the seeds intended to be put in the dirt.

I remember buying corn in seed form and when I opened the pack it was obvious to me they were covered in a copper compound possibly to ward of mold or pests. It was the blue-green compound that I've seen used in orchards so whatever it was made me wonder if that is done with most seeds.

I did let some lettuce go to seed last year and pulled off the the dried seeds after the first frost. I will let you know what the results of those seeds. Probably just try to replant in the garden or do some micro-greens indoors with those.

I bet the radish seeds and others would be too labor intensive to collect a lot of seeds for use. But maybe not, people have been doing seed harvesting for awhile now, so I bet there are efficient ways to save them.

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    I sprout all year long. If fact this year I purchased a large sprouter so I can have more available.
    The process is super easy. However since most seeds sold for growing are treated with chemicals I suggest that you only buy sprouting seeds.
    Some links to help you get started.
    http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A3385.PDF
    http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/datastore/234-412.pdf (I included this one because it tells you how to clean the seeds)
    From Wikipedia:
    ..All viable seeds can be sprouted, but some sprouts should not be eaten raw.
    ..Although whole oats can be sprouted, oat groats sold in food stores, which are dehulled and require steaming or roasting to prevent rancidity, will not sprout.
    ..All the sprouts of the solanaceae (tomato, potato, paprika, aubergine or eggplant) and rhubarb cannot be eaten as sprouts, either cooked or raw, as they can be poisonous.
    ..With all seeds, care should be taken that they are intended for sprouting or human consumption rather than sowing. Seeds intended for sowing may be treated with chemical dressings.
    Good luck with starting out.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    While I do not currently have any sprouts going I have the plastic lid variety sprouters and have had really good luck. Whole Foods and most other "health food" stores will have bulk sprout seed available. Yummy alfalfa! They go great on turkey sandwiches with a bit of ranch! It really is easy and worth the small investment in time and money.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thanks for all the handy links.
    First I'm going to see what can be purchased locally, but if it comes down to driving down to the Fort or ordering online, I'll just shop online.

Top Bottom