• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Friday I dropped an unloaded 1100 so hard on the recoil pad, I swear it bounced back up. The safety was on and bolt open too, no rounds in mag tube either. Why not use it?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Remember, kids, if you unload the gun then it is not "low-dead": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLh61mfyYVM

Use your gd safety. Follow the Four Rules. Go to school and learn how to handle weapons properly.

Not sure what that has to do with the topic. The guy worked his charging handle, failed to visually or physically verify the chamber, and pulled the trigger with the gun pointing downrange.

How do the 4 rules protect against a dropped firearm that can discharge when it hits? Drop it in a safe direction?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I keep my HD shotgun on an empty chamber simply because the odds are higher I'll drop it taking it out of it's storage area than I'll need it for HD. Most shotguns are NOT drop safe. I still use the safety as well, because that's how it sits in my patrol car and I want exactly one manual of arms.

I'm of the same opinion as Phylo. Racking a shotgun gets people's attention. If I need to do it on the sly, I can.

How do you rack an 870 on the sly? I have tried a hundred different ways hunting and I have not figured it out.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    The OP launched a bromide against Rule #1 as unloaded guns are not "low-dead".

The OP eschewing of the safety is similarly less than optimal.
    Can you explain how using the safety on a shotgun is more safe than leaving it off? Because the vast majority of people who carry shotguns for a living tend to side with a manual of arms that keeps the gun unloaded as opposed to loaded with safety on.

What I'm getting at with this thread is we've applied universal safety rules to ALL firearms and, in some cases, it's actually dangerous to do so.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thank you for that. I am staying with my current defensive plan.

My expectation of any home intruder where I live is petty theft / crime of opportunity perp. I don't (I pray) anticipate a full on assault with intent to harm intrusion.

I'm not afraid of more than petty theft either. What concerns me is a petty thief that freaks out and loses his fashizzle like a cornered cat and decides he cant go to jail so he needs to eliminate any witnesses for a clean getaway.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I grew up shooting Ithaca 37's so prefer a gun with the trigger guard safety.

Still prefer a good pump gun and never use the safety. No different to me than carrying a revolver or a Glock. Keep your bugger hook of the bang switch.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    In a hunting role, I always use a safety until ready to take the shot. HD shotguns are kept cruiser ready. If things have degraded to the point where I need to deploy a long gun, being quiet about it is the least of my concerns.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Shotguns are single action. Carrying with a round in the chamber and the safety off is no different than doing so with a 1911 except at least with the 1911 the trigger is covered by a holster (hopefully). Same goes for the AR15.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Shotguns are single action. Carrying with a round in the chamber and the safety off is no different than doing so with a 1911 except at least with the 1911 the trigger is covered by a holster (hopefully). Same goes for the AR15.

True, but at least with the 1911, there's a grip safety, so it's actually a bit worse with the shotgun.

Top Bottom