• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Reading another thread I see people prefer the Mossberg over the Remington or vice versa based on safety position. "It's easier to reach the tang safety" or, "I prefer the safety right next to the trigger guard."

Am I the only one that never uses the safety on a shotgun?

I know it's an antiquated hold-over from back when shotties weren't drop safe (and most are now) but I've always carried an empty chamber and pumped when it's time to get serious or, if it's already business time, just walked around with the safety off.

Am I really just unnecessarily old school? Or do some of you guys do that too?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you carry your shotgun with the safety off, you wouldn't hunt with anyone in my family. Just the way we were raised.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Just Google "racking a shotgun," you'll come up with a ton of articles on why it can actually be a detriment.

As for me, I like all of my guns locked and loaded, it's easy to forget to run a charging handle, pump, or slide when the adrenaline is pumping. To each their own though.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Which shotguns are drop safe?

I know of only the KSG....

Regardless I generally don't carry, transport, or store any long gun with a round chambered.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just Google "racking a shotgun," you'll come up with a ton of articles on why it can actually be a detriment.

Can I get a cliff notes version? I don't see how chambering a round can be detrimental. The first thing I do when I pick up an 870 is move the action bar to the rear so my hand automatically goes to the action bar release.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Shotguns and AR's ALWAYS.

... Sights, safety, trigger, fire
    ... Sights, safety, no shoot, safety back on

safety comes off as soon as your looking at your sights. Finger doesn't move to trigger till your ready to engage

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Can I get a cliff notes version? I don't see how chambering a round can be detrimental. The first thing I do when I pick up an 870 is move the action bar to the rear so my hand automatically goes to the action bar release.

"It's a tactical disadvantage which gives up the element of surprise and gives away your position. It can also be a forgotten action when fine motor skills degrade."

I can agree with those, to an extent. You gotta remember that everyone who chooses a pump gun for home defense doesn't train for 23 hours a day. I can also understand the points of losing the element of surprise and the element of concealment, they could be your only advantages if there are multiple perps.

Like I said, to each their own.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Shotguns and AR's ALWAYS.

... Sights, safety, trigger, fire
    ... Sights, safety, no shoot, safety back on

safety comes off as soon as your looking at your sights. Finger doesn't move to trigger till your ready to engage

We have a winner!

If this isn't second nature, train until it is.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That's why I have always enjoyed hunting with a pump so much. I keep the action open with a round on the lifter, it is more comfortable for me to carry that way, and in the act of raising the gun to shoot the action goes closed >> boom. The lead hand closes the gun and leads the gun right to the target. My BPS and Mossies have the safety on the tang, which is easy to reach, but my slick 1967 870 goes out with me more and I just seem to prefer the action of closing the gun during the gun mount. I'm weird that way, but it works for me.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    But I store my HDG with an empty chamber. This conversation is making me think maybe I should not. I've subscribed to the thought that if a bad guy in my house hears a round chambering into my 870, they will feel compelled to leave. No?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    But I store my HDG with an empty chamber. This conversation is making me think maybe I should not. I've subscribed to the thought that if a bad guy in my house hears a round chambering into my 870, they will feel compelled to leave. No?

Some folks will lose their mind if someone claims that the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round has any effect on an assailant. I've gotten more than one person's attention with it and seen how well it tends to change some people's channel.

I don't keep a round in the chamber of my long guns be they AR, shotgun or bolt gun. Safeties are easily bumped off or fiddled with and there is no holster covering the trigger. I'm not concerned with giving up my location as anyone in my home doesn't know the layout so I retain plenty of advantage there. If someone is going bump in the night they're going to hear my warnings anyway. I'd prefer they leave as quickly as they came so the sooner I'm making noise the better.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Some folks will lose their mind if someone claims that the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round has any effect on an assailant. I've gotten more than one person's attention with it and seen how well it tends to change some people's channel.

I don't keep a round in the chamber of my long guns be they AR, shotgun or bolt gun. Safeties are easily bumped off or fiddled with and there is no holster covering the trigger. I'm not concerned with giving up my location as anyone in my home doesn't know the layout so I retain plenty of advantage there. If someone is going bump in the night they're going to hear my warnings anyway. I'd prefer they leave as quickly as they came so the sooner I'm making noise the better.

Thank you for that. I am staying with my current defensive plan.

My expectation of any home intruder where I live is petty theft / crime of opportunity perp. I don't (I pray) anticipate a full on assault with intent to harm intrusion.

Top Bottom