Do you Inform if pulled over while carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you inform if pulled over while carrying in Indiana?

• Total voters

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    So there is no link between the Indiana driver license database and the database of LTCH holders? I.e. if a cop runs your DL during a stop, does it not tell him if you have a LTCH?

Our system will tell us if the registered owner of the car has an LTCH. Also I agree with NHT3. If someone lies to me, he is probably more apt to get a citation than not.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wow, that was a disturbing video. If the law is to inform ASAP, the guy should have. The cop had attitude before the situation. At one point did the cop basically say he wanted to pull his
    Glock and shoot the guy. I really did not want to watch it again to confirm that.

Car guy tried to inform, but was told to SHUT UP.
    I think the officer was let go, but tried to get the union to get him back. I can't remember.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Wow, that was a disturbing video. If the law is to inform ASAP, the guy should have. The cop had attitude before the situation. At one point did the cop basically say he wanted to pull his
    Glock and shoot the guy. I really did not want to watch it again to confirm that.

Yes it was a painful video to watch. And yes he did say that he would put 10 shots in him and his partner would be a good witness to the execution of a "stupid human being" or something similar to that.
    Unfortunately this kind of behavior gives all cops a bad name, and for what it's worth, these people were white. So it makes me think, that this cop is a first class a$$ (*) hole, and he does not care what color you are, he hates all people equally.
    I wish as a citizen that we could give it right back to them without the risk of going to jail, but they hold all the power and all the cards, is it any wonder we have civil unrest right now?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Yes it was a painful video to watch. And yes he did say that he would put 10 shots in him and his partner would be a good witness to the execution of a "stupid human being" or something similar to that.
    Unfortunately this kind of behavior gives all cops a bad name, and for what it's worth, these people were white. So it makes me think, that this cop is a first class a$$ (*) hole, and he does not care what color you are, he hates all people equally.
    I wish as a citizen that we could give it right back to them without the risk of going to jail, but they hold all the power and all the cards, is it any wonder we have civil unrest right now?

The cop was a complete a-hole. I sure hope the lost his badge. I don't have a answer for all this stuff that is going on. Especially after hearing the news from Baton Rouge this morning. It does hit home for my wife and I. Our oldest son is a cop. And I know he does the job professionally, and with compassion. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Baton Rouge police department.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The cop was a complete a-hole. I sure hope the lost his badge. I don't have a answer for all this stuff that is going on. Especially after hearing the news from Baton Rouge this morning. It does hit home for my wife and I. Our oldest son is a cop. And I know he does the job professionally, and with compassion. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Baton Rouge police department.

The tin foil hat wearing side of me thinks this could be a conspiracy to divide the country with a bunch of racial tension, right now primarily between BLM and LE, serves as a great distraction to Hillary's antics.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yes, if asked...understanding that there is some risk of having my gun stripped, bullets stolen, pointed at me, discharged into my midsection, wallet stolen, bad neighbors, etc.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    True, but it begs follow-up questions. Refusing to answer the question is also not lying and more assertively concludes the fishing portion of the detention.
    It worked for me. He asked if I had drugs or weapons in the vehicle, I said "nothing illegal" . I had drugs and multiple guns at the time.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It worked for me. He asked if I had drugs or weapons in the vehicle, I said "nothing illegal" . I had drugs and multiple guns at the time.

Sure, waiving this right of ours will often "work" out just fine, no differently than maintaining it by not answering ...until you get an officer that unnecessarily escalates things.

If only we could know beforehand what sort of person was detaining us.

Coltsfan33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Greenfield
    The last 2 times I've been pulled over I have informed. The 1st time went fine, it was really early in the morning and I was on my way out of town. Officer got me for speeding, turned my interior lights on and kept my hands on the steering wheel, informed him and he let me go with a warning.

2nd time was around the New Albany area on 64. Got pulled over by a state cop, informed him and he insisted on retrieving my firearm, which was in the center console, I politely declined and he kept insisting. Ultimately he had me get out of my car and into his as he wrote the ticket.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The last 2 times I've been pulled over I have informed. The 1st time went fine, it was really early in the morning and I was on my way out of town. Officer got me for speeding, turned my interior lights on and kept my hands on the steering wheel, informed him and he let me go with a warning.

2nd time was around the New Albany area on 64. Got pulled over by a state cop, informed him and he insisted on retrieving my firearm, which was in the center console, I politely declined and he kept insisting. Ultimately he had me get out of my car and into his as he wrote the ticket.

Did he want to reach across you and take it out of the center console?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would not inform because I am not legally required to do so.

Offering information, not matter how innocent or innocuous it may appear on the surface, has little if any positive effect and can have detrimental effect by dragging out a situation that is best closed early.

IF the officer asks, my answer would be as friendly as I could muster, "Officer, I really appreciate the good work you do but I must refuse to answer any questions without my attorney being present. I want to leave. Am I being detained or am I free to go?" This allows for the courtesy of responding to the question while at the same time not directly answering and further closing the door on any additional games the officer may(?) be wanting to play. This answer protects my rights and is still respectful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkZf6_jK3Zs

Regards,

Doug

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy

He was fired, but PD was forced to re-instate. He then got a cushy settlement if he would resign. Canton officer Daniel Harless resigns in settlement with city - News - The Repository - Canton, OH

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    He was fired, but PD was forced to re-instate. He then got a cushy settlement if he would resign. Canton officer Daniel Harless resigns in settlement with city - News - The Repository - Canton, OH

This is just further evidence of what a messed up system we have. This is the result of law makers in a "blue" state. He should have been fired with absolutely no recourse what so ever.
    If any of us behaved that way at work, we would be fired without any recourse, why should he be any different?

Top Bottom