• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    I have a question for you fellow LTCH carriers out there. I have been following one of the recent threads on how to interact with the police if you are involved in a self defense shooting. One of the things brought up is I want my lawyer present during questioning by police. My question is do you know who you would call if you found yourself in that situation? I personally would not know who to call on a Saturday night. Lawyers are just like anything else there are good ones and bad ones. Do most of you have one in mind in case you would need them?

Thoughts in this situation?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It's been statistically proven that HALF OF ALL LAWYERS graduate in the bottom 50% of their class with below average grades.

With that in mind, when you are looking through the yellow pages for a lawyer, do you know what the lawyers who graduate at the very bottom of their class call themselves in their ad?

Answer: a lawyer.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Q: Do you know what you would call someone who would interact with police after a self defense shooting WITHOUT a lawyer present?

A: A fool.

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    Q: Do you know what you would call someone who would interact with police after a self defense shooting WITHOUT a lawyer present?

A: A fool.

I agree.
    Do you know who you would call though or would you take your chance with the yellow page listings. Does anybody have a list of defense lawyers that specialize in gun law?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you feel you NEED your lawyer's number in your cell phone, you need to re-evaluate your mind set.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Since nobody else wants to actually help the new guy and answer the question:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...f_defense/42379-attorney_recommendations.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...39100-2a_friendly_lawyer_recommendations.html

Your question has come up before and there are a few suggestions in the abovementioned threads. Maybe GunLawyer could provide some suggestions of who he would trust? Don't mean to put him on the spot, but it's like asking a doctor who their doctor is...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I agree.
    Do you know who you would call though or would you take your chance with the yellow page listings. Does anybody have a list of defense lawyers that specialize in gun law?

GunLawyer is a INGO site member. You might send him a pm and ask.

My WIFE is a lawyer, she does not specialize in gun law however.
    Now even if they do not specialize in that type of law they SHOULD direct you to lawyer that does.
    I know my wife will not take a case that is outside of her area of practice and has tuned down clients, but she will refer the client to another lawyer. :twocents:

EDIT:
    Since nobody else wants to actually help the new guy and answer the question:

Hey, give me a minute to type something out! :D

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I agree.

Brent Steele for anything in SW Indiana.

In SE Indiana, Jack Clarkson, William B. Keaton.

After those I have a couple of people with more "expirience" in that area I'd use my phone call to call my wife and tell here to ask ___ and get ahold of who ever he advises.

More important is to take care of yourself. If you are going to be deep enough in any topic that you THINK you may need a lawyer then you better start making YOUR SELF informed on the law and how it applies to your specific situation you are anticipating. Calling a lawyer AFTER you have already screwed the goose with a bunch of nut job advice you've read on gun board forums with every nit wit who can afford a computer advising you is just stacking the deck against yourself.

If we were all high powered lawyers in demand by every one in the state we wouldn't be sitting around pecking on the internet all day. We'd be raking in cash from guys who thought some guy on the internet knew what he was talking about.

Last edited:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately....I know it has been covered but not really.

Lawyers basically work on commission so I would imagine those that working with INGOers already would be willing to get some new clients on retainer....

can we get some names?

Also, for those of you that have a lawyer on retainer, exactly how does this work? Pre paid? Just a relationship and you call and pay? Give us some help here.

Thanks INGO!

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    It's been statistically proven that HALF OF ALL LAWYERS graduate in the bottom 50% of their class with below average grades.

Not sure if you were being serious or sarcastic here, but OF COURSE--- IT HAS TO BE THAT WAY, and hardly requires "statistical proof". More accurately, it's the definition of the statistical procedure. Class rank is an ORDINAL measurement. In other words, we are talking about a ranked list of students (usually by GPA) from highest to lowest. But, most importantly if it is a list of graduates that means they ALL GRADUATED, thus satisfying at least the minimal requirements.

Now, all else being equal, I'd prefer to hire a lawyer who graduated first in their class versus one who graduated last. But, there are many more factors to consider: the actual raw achievement scores of the individual (LSAT, GPA, BAR exam score, etc.), the prestige of the law school they attended, their professional career record, their areas of expertise, how much they charge, etc.

In regard to the use of the term AVERAGE, we also have to be very careful. Are you referring to the median or mean? If it is the median, then again, by definition, 50% of people score below average. It has to be that way. If you are referring to the mean, then it all depends on the shape of the distribution (e.g., is it skewed in one direction?). Look at the case of income, for example: most of us earn way below the mean U.S. income because of the few extremely rich/high salary folks out there. But, only half of us make less than the median U.S. income. Lastly, if the mean GPA is very high (e.g., 3.5), as it tends to be in graduate, medical, and law schools, then is a lawyer who has a GPA of "only" 3.3 a bad or incompetent lawyer?

In short, statistics are complicated and you need to dig deeper and think carefully about them at all times. Statistics are only TOOLS to help us answer questions. But, like any tool, you have to know how to use and where to apply the tools correctly, and what questions to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I MEAN what I say, even when I'm jerking your chain.

If I meant "mean" I would have said mean and this ain't the "lawyer" side talking. This is the side that's checking his boots to see if there's any "lawyer" stuck to the bottom of them, because something is smell'n funny around here all of a sudden.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you don't have your lawyers cell number in your cell phone then you need to rethink your mindset.

I would suggest that your spouse have the number, not you. Consider this: When you're arrested, they don't let you take your wallet and cell phone with you. How are you going to call if that's where you keep the number? Will you be able to remember a phone number that you call infrequently (if ever), especially under stress?

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    I MEAN what I say, even when I'm jerking your chain.

If I meant "mean" I would have said mean and this ain't the "lawyer" side talking. This is the side that's checking his boots to see if there's any "lawyer" stuck to the bottom of them, because something is smell'n funny around here all of a sudden.

I figured you were doing some "jerking", Jack. But, I hear these type of statements from folks all the time, and they are dead serious but unfortunately confused or purposefully trying to confuse others.

By the way, I'm not a lawyer. I know very, very little about law. But, I do know a hell of a lot about statistics. And when most people say "average" they are implying the "arithmetic average", aka "the mean", aka "add up all the numbers and divide by the number of numbers".

A great old book to read "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darrll Huff.

Best,
    -Mike

P.S.: still hoping to see someone recommend a good lawyer with Gun law/ self defense experience in East Central Indiana.

Last edited:

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    My best friends dad is a Deputy Prosecutor, he will get me through the initial encounter.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm with you Jack

I think, if you're going to carry a gun, you owe it to yourself, and everybody who ever gets near you, to: A. Be proficient with that gun. B. Know what the law says about when you can and cannot use it. C. Avoid at all cost, making a shoot/don't-shoot decision based on stuff you read on the internet!

If you're right, you're right. If you're wrong, having an attorney's number at hand won't make any difference.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Remember that you can always say that you want your lawyer with you at anytime during questioning. Hopefully the self defence situation will be clear enough to the police that you will not need your lawyer.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would suggest that your spouse have the number, not you. Consider this: When you're arrested, they don't let you take your wallet and cell phone with you. How are you going to call if that's where you keep the number? Will you be able to remember a phone number that you call infrequently (if ever), especially under stress?

Why would you WAIT to call your lawyer until the police arrive? That is a bad assumption.

Shoot someone. Call 911 report it. Hang up, call your lawyer. Wait for the police to arrive. Don't talk until your lawyer shows up.

Top Bottom