• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    all of the ground the railroads set on is now stolen ground from the people it belongs to.....after the 100 year lease from the railroad the ground was suppose to go back to the property it was leased from
    It was mostly owned as an easement, not leased. And it is a taking and therefor compensable.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    It was mostly owned as an easement, not leased. And it is a taking and therefor compensable.

i'm only going off what some friends told me that own property next to some old tracks in Bloomington that they tried to sue the city when they took it over for a bike path....they didn't get a dime.....they just didn't want a bike path in there back yard

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So much misinformation in these posts.

all of the ground the railroads set on is now stolen ground from the people it belongs to.....after the 100 year lease from the railroad the ground was suppose to go back to the property it was leased from
    There are literally dozens of ways the right of way was obtained for railroad, those ways changed over time, it is very inconsistent, the way you describe is just one possible way.

An easement has no ownership at all, it is the right to use that which is owned by others. They should go to court if they can prove they should be compensated.

i'm only going off what some friends told me that own property next to some old tracks in Bloomington that they tried to sue the city when they took it over for a bike path....they didn't get a dime.....they just didn't want a bike path in there back yard
    Your friends situation is anecdotal there are dozens of ways the rights were obtained, some legal, some not…

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I don't blame them. Upthread the process was discussed. Basically a Supreme Court decision years ago established that it was a taking. It is not automatic to pay compensation though. There are several law firms which specialize in putting together class actions. Both sides get appraisals, it goes to court, and settlements are paid. Like most public improvements, lots of folks want to be near them but few want to be on them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Class actions. Go to court. Win judgement. Pay settlement. Lawyers take their cut. Everyone else gets a check for $1.37.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Ahem.

Someone smarter than myself should investigate this further as it seems to me that the tax payer is actually getting charged twice here:

1) Payment to buy back land given to CSX illegally.
    2) Payment to land owners who lost property rights.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ahem.

Someone smarter than myself should investigate this further as it seems to me that the tax payer is actually getting charge twice here:

1) Payment to buy back land given to CSX illegally.
    2) Payment to land owners who lost property rights.
    I hope the landowners get what they are due…

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    MRockwell sent this a while back, and it was a good read. I don't have the money to fight it in court and I figure most people would rather have whatever money is being offered than assert their rights.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Class actions. Go to court. Win judgement. Pay settlement. Lawyers take their cut. Everyone else gets a check for $1.37.
    In these cases the condemnee receives the full appraised value of the real estate plus any damages. The legal fees are paid separately by the condemnor. The actions are not about whether compensation is owed but what amounts, damages, etc.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Okay let me set the record right...

What your seeing here is a federal process called "Railbanking". It is to prevent the loss of these rights of way to use by future generations. While the railroad is no longer being used. All these trails have various Telco lines buried along them. Fibre Optic.

Yes many of the these ROWs were built with so called reversionary clauses. However when those were made back in the mid 1800s, no one could conceive of things like fibre optic lines left behind when the railroad is done. So the Federal Goverment came up with Railbanking. This lets the ROW stay intact and keeps the now archaic reversion clauses from taking effect by holding the ROW in a Federally designated half way, the Railroad is abandoned, but the ROW is maintained for other important uses. Preserving the Telco lines and it gets used for a trail. And in the future should a transportation system (doesn't have to be rail) need a low grade already graded ROW, it can be used for that. Rather then the absolutely impossible task of trying to create a new ROW in todays legal enviroment.

Sorry to say, because of the Federal Rail Banking, the above lawyers will absolutely be unable to retrieve any moneys for landowners. They are only out for legal fees for themselves and hope to bilk the landovers with false hope, all while tying up the Railroads legal department for a bit.. Railroad legal departments are HUGE, well paid, and WIN most times out.. they are good at what they do and only work for the railroad. Thus are well versed in the ins and outs of these cases.

This a federal level process, they just let the state (or some other entity) come in and build trails and stuff, but they are heavily regulated in what they can do the ROW, for one they can't do anything to the ROW that makes it impossible to resuse the ROW for something else in the future. All while keeping the ROW viable for the telco lines, and keeping John Q Public from messing these up cutting the lines, and deciding they want a house blocking the ROW.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Let's see. From what I can see.
    All the court cases have been thrown out, and the trail construction begins next year.

The IDNR made a facebook link, but the site is freaking the feck out and saying its a BAD MEDIA LINK anytime I try and post it.

I will have quote it and link the pics directly

"Crews from the Indiana DNR, Radius Indiana, Southern Indiana Trailways, and other partners were out this week to assess progress on the clearing of the former Monon Railroad corridor. Once this phase is complete, construction can begin on the future Monon South Trail that will run through the towns of New Albany, Borden, New Pekin, Salem, Campbellsburg, Saltillo, Orleans, and Mitchell. Once fully constructed, the trail will be the longest contiguous recreational trail in Indiana. More: bit.ly/3uK9ibG."

401393743_675206674786625_3511672218052043252_n.jpg

407188070_675206704786622_4023918862220560763_n.jpg

407290825_675206694786623_6957786936366032783_n.jpg

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What case(s) were thrown out?
    I will have too look, but I know a couple of the class actions got tossed. You really have to do a ton of sleuthing looking at various dockets. As is usual in this stuff, the news posts the initial juicy tidbits about the cases being filed.. never a follow up

You have to go digging through casetext.com stuff to find them.

Top Bottom