• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wonder how they’re going to get across the White River at Bedford?

View attachment 315897
    They are not. That section of the Monon was under a different abandonment proceeding filed back in the 90s.

Its hard to explain, CSX filed to abandon it, and was granted permission in abeyance. Once the other railroad with trackage rights quit using it, the abandonment became effective. Hence why the yellow/orange line does not go all the way to Bedford.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I will have too look, but I know a couple of the class actions got tossed. You really have to do a ton of sleuthing looking at various dockets. As is usual in this stuff, the news posts the initial juicy tidbits about the cases being filed.. never a follow up

You have to go digging through casetext.com stuff to find them.

I was not aware of any cases that were seeking to stop or delay the trail at all, news or otherwise. :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They are not. That section of the Monon was under a different abandonment proceeding filed back in the 90s.

Its hard to explain, CSX filed to abandon it, and was granted permission in abeyance. Once the other railroad with trackage rights quit using it, the abandonment became effective. Hence why the yellow/orange line does not go all the way to Bedford.
    I see. The bridge that used to cross the White River got burned down a few years ago. (IIRC).

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was not aware of any cases that were seeking to stop or delay the trail at all, news or otherwise. :dunno:
    There were suits of all types.. People wanting compensation, people demanding the land (which would have stopped the trail), another railroad suing that it wasn't given fair chance to preserve the corridor as a railroad.

There were far more suits filed then what the news filed.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I see. The bridge that used to cross the White River got burned down a few years ago. (IIRC).
    Well not burnt down, but damaged badly... and that was only one of two incidents.

I need to find the dates, but at some point someone set the wood ties atop the steel bridge aflame
    (and this was a serial firebug that was going around attempting to do this to other Indiana bridges)

Then some dimwit went and released the brakes on some stored cars south of the bridge. They derailed and damaged the bridge further.

CSX Neglect didn't help once the bridge was beyond repair... a huge logham damaged the bridge pilings.

You can see the derail mess on google earth.

1701479105124.png

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I know it was interesting to see how careful and respectful CSX employees were with all the railroad equipment and property, and then the scrap contractors came through, sometimes the next day, breaking and smashing everything they could.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Well not burnt down, but damaged badly... and that was only one of two incidents.

I need to find the dates, but at some point someone set the wood ties atop the steel bridge aflame
    (and this was a serial firebug that was going around attempting to do this to other Indiana bridges)

Then some dimwit went and released the brakes on some stored cars south of the bridge. They derailed and damaged the bridge further.

CSX Neglect didn't help once the bridge was beyond repair... a huge logham damaged the bridge pilings.

View attachment 315899

There's a good sized washout behind the Walmart in Salem as well.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know it was interesting to see how careful and respectful CSX employees were with all the railroad equipment and property, and then the scrap contractors came through, sometimes the next day, breaking and smashing everything they could.
    Hah, difference between union workers on the railroad... and the fly by night scrap outfits, that want to be out of there ASAP.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There's a good sized washout behind the Walmart in Salem as well.
    There is a picture of that.. it revealed some interesting history. (or maybe its another I am thinking of, there are several washouts).

In one place near Salem the railroad washed and revealed big blocks on Indiana Limestone the railroad had use to shortcut making a fill, the water neatly removed the small ballast, but left the huge limestone chunks

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

View attachment 315899
    I was thinking they tore it the rest of the way down.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    There is a picture of that.. it revealed some interesting history. (or maybe its another I am thinking of, there are several washouts).

In one place near Salem the railroad washed and revealed big blocks on Indiana Limestone the railroad had use to shortcut making a fill, the water neatly removed the small ballast, but left the huge limestone chunks

Yes, those limestone blocks are apparent in many places between Borden and Campbellsburg that I know of.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    There was a smaller washout just outside of Borden on the north side as well. It was mostly repaired.

After seeing the condition of the trail, and what would need to be done to pave and maintain it, I just don't see it being completed or sustained....

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking they tore it the rest of the way down.
    I haven't been down that way in a bit. But Railroads generally won't remove those big bridges unless forced too.

Since abandonment was approved on that section, they don't have to make legal filings for anything they do on that section.

I did see where CSX removed that track in 2022

The bridge was there at least in 2018.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I haven't been down that way in a bit. But Railroads generally won't remove those big bridges unless forced too.

Since abandonment was approved on that section, they don't have to make legal filings for anything they do on that section.

I did see where CSX removed that track in 2022

The bridge was there at least in 2018.
    When a line is abandoned and the NITU (notice of interim trail use) is completed, the RR is required to remove the ties and rails but must leave all bridges, trestles and such structures in place.

I don't know about cases being thrown out but Blevins (Cessna) v US and Popp v US were settled before trial.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    When a line is abandoned and the NITU (notice of interim trail use) is completed, the RR is required to remove the ties and rails but must leave all bridges, trestles and such structures in place.
    The section near Bedford (that includes the White river bridge) was a straight up abandonment, no NITU. (old style pre railbanking)

It's one of the weirder things, but the owner of the line CSX was given permission to Abandon the track back in the 90s, however the section was in use by a Trackage rights holder. At first this was the SOO LINE, which had trackage rights over CSX from Bedford to Louisville. So the abandonment could not be effective until the trackage rights user filed to abandon those rights. (Held in abayance) The rights passed to Canadian Pacific, Who sold the trackage rights (and the connecting line) to the Indiana Rail Road.
    Indiana Rail Road filed to abandon those trackage rights sometime after 2009, and thus the consumation of the abandoment for the Bedford section was effective imediately.

It is a process that is rarely done.. but it freed CSX from certain obligations in Bedford.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

So let me get this straight. I paying taxes which go towards building the trail. And now I’m gonna be helping to pay for the lawsuit because they’re building the trail.

Good that these property owners are getting compensated for the land grab. I just wish the people whose brain fart this was to make the ***damn trail, had to pay for both. Or better yet, just let the people keep their property.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    So let me get this straight. I paying taxes which go towards building the trail. And now I’m gonna be helping to pay for the lawsuit because they’re building the trail.

Good that these property owners are getting compensated for the land grab. I just wish the people whose brain fart this was to make the ***damn trail, had to pay for both. Or better yet, just let the people keep their property.

I think the .gov also had to buy land back they they had given to CSX. I'd love for someone to investigate and give an actual total.

Top Bottom