• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's pretty clear when producers include "diversity" to push an agenda. There are often no reasons for the character's existence in the plot other than to tick the diversity box. Now if a show has an integral character who happens to be gay, or a member of any other minority group, that's fine. But just like in real life, you'll suspect they're gay but not a big deal is made of it. They're just there taking up their part of the universe. But as in Rise of Skywalker (the following isn't really much of a spoiler) of all those celebrating, the only people kissing in the sceen are the two lesbians. That's box ticking right there. If several typical couples were hugging and kissing, and a gay couple did too off in the background, I don't really see a problem with that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He did not, you're parroting a Kamala Harris accusation.
    Is a candidate kissing their spouse out of line?

"While I do not have the experience of ever having been discriminated against because of the color of my skin, I do have the experience of sometimes feeling like a stranger in my own country, turning on the news and seeing my own rights come up for debate," Buttigieg said.

If only he felt that way about the 2A. I still wouldn't consider voting for him, but I might respect him a bit more

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I didn't know if there were some sort of agreements airlines might have with countries they fly into about what happens if one of their planes goes down in their territory.

Well, there are all sorts of agreements, but they don't really matter if .gov doesn't want to do something. Especially if there's no democratic process.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well, there are all sorts of agreements, but they don't really matter if .gov doesn't want to do something. Especially if there's no democratic process.

I know I was just curious if that was actually a common thing Iran was running afoul of or if airlines flying into iran just sign a slip saying they recognize iran is the wild west of government stability.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I kinda think you're not getting this. My point was that his "gayness" is fair game when he's used it to propel himself to a national stage when he just doesn't have the cred for that otherwise. THAT was definitely a choice. He's riding his one intersection of oppression for everything it's worth. And not that choice or no choice should matter if something is not fair game. There is a difference between directly ridiculing someone, only because of their circumstances, whether a choice or not. I'm not ridiculing Buttjuice because he's gay. If he were a sane candidate, who earned a place on the national stage for reasons other than his identity, I would not joke about his gayness.

BTW, the "fatness" tie-in wasn't directly related anyway. I only used as an example of poking fun at people and not getting bent out of shape when it comes your way. But sure, if someone in public who didn't know me, and only saw me from the first time, and started ridiculing me only for being fat, yeah, that would be offensive.

Admirably stated (other than the one ... unfortunate turn of phrase). Even racial characteristics, such as the (miniscule) Native American heritage of Warren or the ... complicated blackness of Harris, are fair game once they seek to use them as career boosters. We can have zero problems with those ethnicities while still calling out pandering by individuals

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ya that’s all I needed to hear. I’ll pass. Such a shame so many movies and shows that would be decent are ruined by identity politics.

What? You're not looking forward to the End Game spin-off movie where we are shown how Thanos being forced to repress his desire to be a woman is the proximate cause of his evil behavior as an adult?

Oy, I shouldn't give them ideas :rolleyes:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    What? You're not looking forward to the End Game spin-off movie where we are shown how Thanos being forced to repress his desire to be a woman is the proximate cause of his evil behavior as an adult?

Oy, I shouldn't give them ideas :rolleyes:

With that kind of in depth script writing example, you may have a future in Hollywood.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I know I was just curious if that was actually a common thing Iran was running afoul of or if airlines flying into iran just sign a slip saying they recognize iran is the wild west of government stability.

The big multinationals all know the risks. Its really the same as a government ordering a bunch of F-16s then canceling the order.

Sovereigns gonna sovereignize.

Boeing could threaten to withhold business or something, but it isn't like Iran is buying up anything American. They can't.

That's what makes this trickier. Boeing's contract was with the Ukrainian carrier.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Top Bottom