• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Cross-posting from the Trump bashing 20 24/7 thread, because it is a valid question

He was a two term member of the House. Do you think admitting Puerto Rico as a state, with an almost certain 2 additional Democrat Senators, massive debt and a guaranteed spike in government dependence,
    was good for Florida or good for his constituents?

Was he pandering for a statewide race (remember he ran for senator until Rubio wanted back in the race) or
    does he really think Puerto Rican statehood would benefit Florida and/or the United States

One seems pretty swampy and the other calls his judgement into question if he wants to inherit the MAGA mantle

Careful, certain ... prolix, shall we say ... members of INGO might accuse you of worshiping the man (if they didn't secretly agree with your preference)

And the whole Florida delegation at the time is not running for president, and the one who IS needs to own his past viewpoints, just like it is insisted that Trump must.
    He can't hide behind 'everyone was doing it' or else Trump gets a pass for being a Democrat as a NY businessman in the early 2000s
    You asked if the bill was good for Florida... and my answer was apparently it was as nearly every FL House member co-sponsored it, both Dem and Republican.

Also, you seem to think the bill would make PR a state... it would not have automatically done so but would have called for a BINDING plebiscite vote. The only non-binding plebiscite vote that favored statehood was boycotted by the independence parties. Three others did not and yet another was indeterminite.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You asked if the bill was good for Florida... and my answer was apparently it was as nearly every FL House member co-sponsored it, both Dem and Republican.
    And how many of those people are running for president? Do you think even considering the possibility of admitting PR as a state, in its present condition, is good for the country? If not, why would a founding member of the Freedom Coalition support it?

Either doing so because everyone else was doing it or placing one's election prospects over the good of one's constituents would both be of concern as a characteristic of a presidential candidate

He was Florida 6, which runs from Daytona north to just short of St Augustine and inland almost to Ocala. Not sure if that district has a major PR population, but I doubt it; so he wasn't representing his constituents necessarily, either

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And how many of those people are running for president? Do you think even considering the possibility of admitting PR as a state, in its present condition, is good for the country? If not, why would a founding member of the Freedom Coalition support it?

Either doing so because everyone else was doing it or placing one's election prospects over the good of one's constituents would both be of concern as a characteristic of a presidential candidate

He was Florida 6, which runs from Daytona north to just short of St Augustine and inland almost to Ocala. Not sure if that district has a major PR population, but I doubt it; so he wasn't representing his constituents necessarily, either
    He's Hispanic. Likely a lot of people in his district are Hispanic. I don't know his motivations WRT PR. But I suspect it has something to do with that. My take on it, I'd like him to consider the game being played. Democrats don't give a flying **** about PR other than PR likely contributing two solid Democrat Senators perpetually.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed. Now parse the motivation for co-sponsoring - whether to position for a statewide run, La Raza solidarity or because 'everyone else was doing it', none of those are America First

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

And you reach that conclusion how? Did you just make it up? I don't know, like some sort of "narrative" about his motives.

Any chance that Florida, being home to 1.1 Million Puerto Ricans believes that it is time to allow PR to determine if it will transition to statehood or not?

DeSantis’ visit underscores the importance of Puerto Rico to Florida politics this midterm, as nearly all candidates for governor and U.S. Senate — and even some for Congress — have flown to the island so often that it has become like Florida’s 68th county.

It's not like this has been some "covert" ploy... It IS Florida politics... you know, that state that he is from?

Florida has more than 1.1 million Puerto Ricans, a population that now exceeds New York’s, and some estimate there are about 500,000 Puerto Rican voters in Florida. Most live in the Orlando area. An estimated 7 in 10 Puerto Rican voters typically vote Democrat, but that’s partly because Republicans haven’t made Boricua outreach a high priority. Many Puerto Ricans who have moved to Florida in recent years have registered with no party affiliation.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Agreed. Now parse the motivation for co-sponsoring - whether to position for a statewide run, La Raza solidarity or because 'everyone else was doing it', none of those are America First
    I can't read his mind. I don't know why he did that. And I don't think what I describe was La Raza.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    You do know that Puerto Ricans ARE US CITIZENS by birth, and have been since 1898... right?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I started looking around, and it appears that assuming that granting Puerto Rico statehood = an automatic addition of 2 donkey US Senators isn't necessarily correct. Politics on the island seem much more nuanced than they are here, and there is a strong conservative Catholic presence there. Things seem to change rather quickly when native Puerto Ricans move to the US mainland. Now *there's* a solid blue voting block that rivals that of American blacks.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's not like this has been some "covert" ploy... It IS Florida politics... you know, that state that he is from?
    So, would you like your president to do what's good for the country or just what's good for his personal politics

Do you think allowing PR to be a state is good for the country? I do not

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I can't read his mind. I don't know why he did that. And I don't think what I describe was La Raza.
    You mentioned that he was hispanic as if that should have some bearing on the issue, one of the tenets of La Raza is that all hispanics, everywhere are all part of one race

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You mentioned that he was hispanic as if that should have some bearing on the issue, one of the tenets of La Raza is that all hispanics, everywhere are all part of one race
    That doesn't connect one to the other. You find a link and we can talk.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

DeSantis headlines, Trump not invited

Seems like yet another reason to favor the Orange Man to me

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

DeSantis headlines, Trump not invited

Seems like yet another reason to favor the Orange Man to me
    No one needs an introduction to Trump. They also committed to supporting Trump if he is the nominee.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Too many people are talking about DeSantis. They need to be talking about Trump
    How dare DeSantis be more popular! I kinda think Trump’s probably realizes that no one but Trumpers are buying it. He’s trying to send a message about how a contest with hum will go, to scare DeSantis off.

Top Bottom